Times you were embarrassed as a wrestling fan

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
NewROHFan2020

Times you were embarrassed as a wrestling fan

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I don’t follow AEW too much, but recently I saw Shaq going through tables and Snoop Dogg doing a frog splash. It got me to thinking, what incidents, people, random matches, etc., were you embarrassed to be a wrestling fan? If you’re not embarrassed by anything, okay, but think about like things you would go in and defend to non-fans, lol. I think it’s better not to think about these things in hindsight. So basically things you were “embarrassed” about when they happened.

My biggest one is David Arquette wrestling and winning the WCW championship. Rodman and Malone were one thing because they were actually big guys and athletes. Arquette wasn’t and he wasn’t anywhere close to being a top star like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. Having him involved in some stuff because of the movie, I get, but he had no business being the champ.

Today, I don’t mind it too much because Arquette didn’t want to be the champ, he donated the money from it to charity, he was a fan, and by all accounts was super to nice to everyone in WCW. Now he’s in the business and more accepted than 20 years ago.

The other one is Jay Leno wrestling at Road Wild. A small, old, talk show host wrestling Hulk Hogan is a bad. I understand why WCW did it, but I hated it and seeing Hogan sell for Leno was something I wouldn’t want people to know I watched or cared about.

What about you guys? Let’s try and keep it to “major” promotions. WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA/Impact, ROH, and AEW.
famicommander

Re: Times you were embarrassed as a wrestling fan

Post by famicommander »

Every time any celebrity has done anything physical on a wrestling show. The least bad instances are Stephen Amell and latter-day Arquette, and only because those guys actually learned how to work. And even still, I was against Amell wrestling for ROH. Arquette earned my respect in recent years as he worked Mexican street wrestling, backyard shows, and garbage indie feds paying his dues. But there's no fixing his WCW run. Same goes for Pac-Man Jones winning the TNA tag title.

It buries the entire wrestling industry for a celebrity to walk in and be competitive with alleged professional fighters. Remember when former NBA star Nate Robinson tried to box? And that was against a Youtube jagoff, not even a real fighter. That's how it should go every time one of these celebrities gets involved.

Every wrestling wedding segment in history. None of them have been good and anyone who pitches one should be fired on the spot.

The rap performance at G1 Supercard.

Enzo and Cass at G1 Supercard.

The entirety of Filthy Island.

Last night's AEW main event finish.

Mae Young gives birth to a hand.

Vince trying repeatedly to do incest angles with his daughter.

WWE refusing to do anything about known murderers, serial woman beaters, serial rapists, pedophiles, virulent racists/bigots, violent bullies, and any other comic book supervillains lurking amongst their roster.

When a promotion does racist/bigoted shit and it gets over in a babyface way.

Jim Cornette gathering the entire OVW roster on TV and suggesting America should murder countless Arab civilians in response to 9/11

Vince Russo in general, but especially when he put himself on screen/in matches

Samoa Joe kidnapped by TNA ninjas

Mickie James murdered via train on TNA TV

TNA bringing Jersey Shore people on their TV show

Anything involving Insane Clown Posse in any capacity

Could keep going.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

While the G1 stuff is certainly shitty, I don’t think that’s really embarrassing. Maybe for the performers.

Had no clue about the Cornette stuff

I will add the early DX stuff. Shawn Michaels and HHH showing their asses and Shawn gyrating on the mat in short shorts isn’t really funny to me or something I would have wanted my parents to see me watching.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:09 pm While the G1 stuff is certainly shitty, I don’t think that’s really embarrassing. Maybe for the performers.

I will add the early DX stuff. Shawn Michaels and HHH showing their asses and Shawn gyrating on the mat in short shorts isn’t really funny to me or something I would have wanted my parents to see me watching.
Enzo being within 50 miles of an ROH show is embarrassing. ROH is supposed to be the work rate promotion. Enzo is such a shitty wrestler he literally broke his own leg trying to reverse a wristlock.

Mandy Leon hopping on one leg, blindfolded is a better wrestler than Enzo. The moment he popped up on my screen I knew ROH had stopped caring about fans like me.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:12 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:09 pm While the G1 stuff is certainly shitty, I don’t think that’s really embarrassing. Maybe for the performers.

Enzo being within 50 miles of an ROH show is embarrassing. ROH is supposed to be the work rate promotion. Enzo is such a shitty wrestler he literally broke his own leg trying to reverse a wristlock.

Mandy Leon hopping on one leg, blindfolded is a better wrestler than Enzo. The moment he popped up on my screen I knew ROH had stopped caring about fans like me.
Why do you still watch then?
Montana

Post by Montana »

The celebrity stuff doesn't bother me that much. I get why they do it, so it doesn't really embarrass me.

While i really enjoyed the attitude era as a kid in high school... looking back, it's pretty embarrassing. The excessive "suck it" chants, the bra and panties matches, the angle with the dude chopping Val Venis dick off, etc etc. i'm sure there are other stuff. As i look back now, it's pretty pathetic that WWE went that low, to keep up with WCW. Glad they cleaned it up with the Ruthless aggression era post Attitude, even though, yes the attitude era had a lot of good stuff. I also really don't like the extreme/hardcore stuff anymore either.

I don't mean i like PG - wwe... but like i feel you can have Attitude/serious storylines without being immature/low brow humor.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:09 pm The celebrity stuff doesn't bother me that much. I get why they do it, so it doesn't really embarrass me.

While i really enjoyed the attitude era as a kid in high school... looking back, it's pretty embarrassing. The excessive "suck it" chants, the bra and panties matches, the angle with the dude chopping Val Venis dick off, etc etc. i'm sure there are other stuff. As i look back now, it's pretty pathetic that WWE went that low, to keep up with WCW. Glad they cleaned it up with the Ruthless aggression era post Attitude, even though, yes the attitude era had a lot of good stuff. I also really don't like the extreme/hardcore stuff anymore either.

I don't mean i like PG - wwe... but like i feel you can have Attitude/serious storylines without being immature/low brow humor.
I don’t have a problem with bra and panties matches. You probably wouldn’t want it on your TV show today, but that’s only because of optics and “social justice warriors”.

I didn’t like the WWF Attitude Era too much. And now that I think about it some more, I don’t know how people liked Billy Gunn’s “Ass Man” theme or Rikishi showing his butt. Definitely a lot of closeted homosexual WWF fans back then. Not that’s there’s anything wrong with that.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:23 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:12 pm

Why do you still watch then?
If they had continued on the same path, I wouldn't be watching anymore. PCO winning the world title was almost the last straw for me.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Katie Vick.

I had not watched wrestling in a while and flipped Raw on just out of boredom. Watched the whole segment and turned it off. It would be years later until I tried again.