The NXT Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
AndyDiaz

Re: The NXT Thread

Post by AndyDiaz »

Just finished this weeks episode. Another really good week of TV.

The Wovles match was pretty good. The way The Wolves wrestled showed some of their stuff, but also left people wanting more. The Davey botch was pretty scary, but glad he could finish the match, and seems to be doing fine. And that flapjack....
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Big picture of Davey Richards on WWE.com main page right now. Isn't that a surreal sight.

On a related note, I just watched Natalya vs Paige. Generally I loathe women's wrestling, but that was excellent.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

JTCole wrote:Well the guy has pretty much burned all his bridges elsewhere so I could understand him being nervous.
Except that this was taped before the NOAH & ROH drama.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

BTW10 wrote:
JTCole wrote:Well the guy has pretty much burned all his bridges elsewhere so I could understand him being nervous.
Except that this was taped before the NOAH & ROH drama.
Oops, you are correct sir.

The only thing that I could see holding Eddie back is his somewhat lacking physique compared to Davey but it shouldn't be too hard for him to get a bit more muscle definition. I don't want to see a wrestler abuse PED's but I do expect them to look cut up unless you have a Michael Elgin-like body type.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

"Big always beats small" is what I'll remember most from this match. They just couldn't resist, I guess.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

The Wolves match on NXT was decent. Edwards seemed more comfortable in there than Richards, he messed up a few times. All in all, good showing, they had the crowd behind them, the announce team acknowledged that they have a good history in the world of wrestling. Hoping for the best.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

As a rule, I don't watch flashback episodes of wrestling TV (i.e. ROH's 100th episode or whatever that was with Roddy and Jay) but the Christmas episode of NXT was actually really good.
Regal cut a really good promo, especially if this would have been advertised as his last match. Since it wasn't, his counting himself out was kind of silly but it was still very good.
Zayn/Cesaro highlights were awesome, of course. When I watched it the first time, I though the first fall was a little too short, and the second fall was a little too boring and I gave the match ****, or maybe ****1/4 stars. I also mentioned at the time that the third fall was wrestled at a ***** pace though - it was nothing short of breathtaking.
I hope Zayn keeps this 2/3 falls thing going. Usually those matches are too contrived to be great, since the match can't end until at least the 2nd fall and almost always the 3rd. But when there's really good guys in there, it also means an extra 5 minutes (if not more). And Zayn is one of the best. (That sentence made me feel like I should just refer to him as Generico...) Logical booking seems to point to Zayn over Kruger in 2 out of 3 falls... Zayn over Neville and/or Cesaro for no. 1 contendership... and winning the NXT championship in a 2/3 falls match...
Cesaro vs. Regal was awesome. Of course it was. As good as any NXT match I've seen since I started this thread, except for Zayn/Cesaro's 2/3 falls match. Although a liiiitle less selling from Regal at the end so he could sneak in one false finish small package before The Neutralizer would have been good. In the conversation with Zayn/Neville, off the top of my head, for no. 2 behind the MOTY
JSP

Post by JSP »

You're calling for a part in the match with LESS selling? Haven't heard that before, but I suppose it is an ROH board.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

JSP wrote:You're calling for a part in the match with LESS selling? Haven't heard that before, but I suppose it is an ROH board.
haha the best part of the match, which I loved, *was* the selling - Cesaro attacking with his head when he was selling his arms, for example, and Regal selling the knee immediately after he had the brace torn off. But Regal was acting like dead weight, and I think they had the crowd eating out of the palms of their hands, and a roll up for 2 3/4 followed by a Neutralizer would have only added to the match.

*EDIT - also would have played into AC's hesitation to hit the Neutralizer (he let Regal fall from between his legs while waiting, then was hesitant to pick him up).
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I think Cesaro/Regal illustrated why Claudio made the transition to WWE fine and Hero did not.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

JTCole wrote:I think Cesaro/Regal illustrated why Claudio made the transition to WWE fine and Hero did not.
Why is that? Hero vs. Regal had a really really good match on NXT once upon a time as well (in 2012 I believe)
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I never thought Hero and Regal ever had a match the calibre of what we saw on this recent episode. True enough Hero didn't have a bad match per say but the whole feud was disappointing to me.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

JTCole wrote:I never thought Hero and Regal ever had a match the calibre of what we saw on this recent episode. True enough Hero didn't have a bad match per say but the whole feud was disappointing to me.
Ya, that's fair I - wasn't watching NXT at the time so I can't comment on the feud but the match was certainly very good. Not as good as Cesaro/Regal though.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

And it wasn't just the Regal thing, like one of the podcasters said I just thought Hero never truly fit in to the WWE style. Some guys can't no matter how hard they or the company try.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Late to the party, but Regal/Cesaro was incredible. Just on a totally different level from so many guys in WWE.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Let's put it this way, both Jon Moxley and Claudio Castagnoli had fantastic matches with Regal under the WWE style. Hero did not with multiple chances. I'm not saying that's the reason he's gone but it is telling.

Oh well, Hero will be fine back on the indies for now. I still don't get why TNA never gave him a real chance though.
boourns

Post by boourns »

Claudio and Ambrose are just better than Hero. That doesn't mean Hero shouldn't be in WWE because he couldn't have as good of matches with Regal as those two. Very few can.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Ambrose is a better talker than Hero but I'd still give the wrestling skill edge to Hero.

And it wasn't just about Regal, Hero never had one stand out match in NXT either.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Jog on, Hero vs Regal was fantastic.

Better than Claudio vs Regal at any rate. I might even wager better than the Ambrose vs Regal I.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Hero vs. Regal and Hero vs. Steamboat were both good matches in NXT. Not classics, but good matches.