The NXT Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Thelone

Re: The NXT Thread

Post by Thelone »

teterewr wrote:As much as NXT gets all the accolades, something still aches me about the squash matches that they are still having; reminds me of SD or RAW in a way :/
Squash matches are fine to quickly establish someone as dangerous and/or important. They become a problem when they're the only type of matches someone is having because you're basically telling your audience that this guy is not ready yet (Corbin) or just not that good (The Ascension).
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Corbin apparently has good matches at house shows? I guess the live special with him vs
Spoiler: show
Rhyno
will be a big test for him.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

I keep hearing about that, yet he's only wrestling squashes on the main show. I just don't see what the big deal is about this guy and he's just budget Reigns to me right now.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Yeah I guess Corbin is just a white, low rent Roman now. And Reigns has shown genuine talent in the ring as of late so it's even worse.
boourns

Post by boourns »

teterewr wrote:As much as NXT gets all the accolades, something still aches me about the squash matches that they are still having; reminds me of SD or RAW in a way :/
You need squash matches to put wrestlers over. Actually, RAW and Smackdown need more of them.

I never understood the notion that squash matches and jobbers are bad things.
WHG

Post by WHG »

The jobber thing is an interesting aspect of wrestling that an entire generation of fans can't even comprehend. An entire roster of guys used to ALWAYS win on TV, almost without exception. The matches were often dull, but the announcers put over how great the guy was during the match and built whatever fued he was in. It was a pretty effective formula that was pretty much destroyed around the Monday Night War.

Not saying everyone should go back to that, but it was a pretty effective way to build up your roster without having to damage anyone in the process.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I love the format of NXT where they'll have a couple squash matches, one or two feud building matches/segments, and then a great main event. It's old school and simplified in the best way possible. The idea that every match on a show needs to be a five star, 15 minute spotfest is so silly. Even the live specials contain one or two unannounced short matches. It really adds to the big matches and main event, rather than a lot of these shows lately where the main event comes off as lackluster because the first half of the card was just as good or better.
It doesn't mean you have to water things down or make it less exciting, just work a different style. Mark Briscoe is the perfect example.
teterewr

Post by teterewr »

Thelone wrote:
Squash matches are fine to quickly establish someone as dangerous and/or important. They become a problem when they're the only type of matches someone is having because you're basically telling your audience that this guy is not ready yet (Corbin) or just not that good (The Ascension).
Yea, definitely agree with this. But timing it just right is so tough to get right. NXT Ascension just squashed their way into the main roster and look where they are now (I can't see find them btw); Corbin is on his way down this road as well if he doesnt show that he can deliver beyond 30secs matches. IMO, i can't comprehend how the Ascension nor Corbin are willing to bear with this for so long; they ought to have some sense that squash matches are not sustainable in the long run.

But one 'squash series' I can think of which made its mark is that of Rusev. Built him up to a feud with Cena for the US title. i feel that such 'squash series' should end this way; as a means of bringing in a new super power before elevating him to a higher card with a established 'seasoned' player
Northwoods_Nightmare

Rusev is a great example.
I would say Ryback too. Obviously once he reached the main events he couldn't deliver, but he got over huge initially just by destroying local jobbers on a weekly basis.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Rusev is a great example.
I would say Ryback too. Obviously once he reached the main events he couldn't deliver, but he got over huge initially just by destroying local jobbers on a weekly basis.
Ryback squashes were a lot of fun. Granted part of it was him being stiff and all but it still made for good TV.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

So due to overwhelming demand WWE added another Philly date for May 15th at the same venue.

Which is crazy because tickets for the first show haven't even gone on sale yet.
Northwoods_Nightmare

That is crazy. I would take it a little slower if I were them. The Ohio venues were a lot smaller, and the San Jose show was definitely not a typical audience.
A run of sold out shows in smaller venues could actually help in the long run by really giving NXT the notoriety of being "must see, buy your tickets really early" whenever they come to town. Then they can slowly up the size of the venues. It would help the brand's buzz overall.

If they go to large venues, with multiple shows right away, sure they may sell a thousand more tickets that weekend. But if they don't regularly sell out, when tickets go on sale people are much more likely to think "I'll just wait and see what's going on that weekend, and maybe if I go I'll just get a ticket at the door."
boourns

Post by boourns »

Dana Brooke was much better this week.

NXT is really lacking in the tag division right now. They pretty much have two teams. Hopefully more teams will come up soon.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Nice vignette, though it appears he still doesn't have a name yet...
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Uhaa could end up being huge. Wish he was a few inches taller though.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/93563/ ... e.html?p=1
ANOTHER TOP WWE NXT STAR INJURED, EXPECTED OUT FOR LONG TIME
By Mike Johnson on 2015-05-07 11:57:44

WWE NXT star Hideo Itami is out of action with a bad shoulder injury, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

While Itami is slated to be in a three-way bout against Tyler Breeze and Finn Balor at the 5/20 NXT Takeover event, according to sources we've spoken to, Itami is instead expected to be out of action for 6-8 months.

Sami Zayn is also out with an injury to his rotator cuff while Alex Riley is slated to undergo knee surgery today.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Yeah Takeover this month is pretty much boned in its original form with Itami and Sami out. Balor vs Breeze is fine but who knows how they'll handle Owens.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

JTCole wrote:Yeah Takeover this month is pretty much boned in its original form with Itami and Sami out. Balor vs Breeze is fine but who knows how they'll handle Owens.
Maybe do winner of Bàlor/Breeze challenges Owens later in the night.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Just send Cesaro or Kidd for a non-title match and keep Balor vs. Breeze for the #1 challenger's spot.
PeoplesChampion

Post by PeoplesChampion »

give solomone crowe nxt title shot