NJPW Thread

Discuss all things related to NJPW here
famicommander

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by famicommander »

Anyone else want to see them pull the trigger on a big singles run for Tama Tonga? I feel like he's ready and could have incredible matches with Naito or Ibushi especially. His personality and style would really gel with those guys in my opinion. And of course, it's nearly impossible to have a bad match with Tanahashi or Okada.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 pm Anyone else want to see them pull the trigger on a big singles run for Tama Tonga? I feel like he's ready and could have incredible matches with Naito or Ibushi especially. His personality and style would really gel with those guys in my opinion. And of course, it's nearly impossible to have a bad match with Tanahashi or Okada.
I'm not so into his personality, and while I'd like to see him get singles shots because he does usually have excellent singles matches when given the chance, I see him being at the level of a Makabe or Kojima or Fale someone like that who maybe gets one shot at one of the big singles titles a year. I see him as a midcarder who can occasionally be elevated rather than a guy who can be a permanent part of the main event.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Tama is so good at his character. I laughed out loud when he patted down the ref for weapons in tag league.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Long Beach tickets go on sale on 1/29 priced from $200 down to $50 at the 5,300 Walter Pyramid on the campus of Long Beach State. They’ll probably announce a talent list before that date but the matches won’t be announced until the end of the next tour, unless they announce a Jericho vs. Naito match ahead of time
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The storytelling with that turn was SOOOOOOOOOO lazy it's infuriating.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Selling out 5000 tickets in about 20 mins. Crazy.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

JUSHIN MOTHERFUCKING THUNDER LIGER VS REY MOTHERFUCKING MYSTERIO

(I approve)
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Rey Mysterio vs. Thunder Liger
WCW! WCW!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Honor Rising cards don't look too bad http://rohworld.com/njpw-roh-honor-rising-2018-cards/
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Golden Lovers/Bullet Club and TRENT?/Dalton both sound really fun. Goto/Bruiser is.....unique, haha. Flip Gordon debuting in New Japan is cool, and Jay White/Best Friends teaming sounds amazing. Very strong cards.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Golden Lovers reunion will sale lot.

V Trigoe (one of naming idea)
https://img.tokyo-sports.co.jp/wp-conte ... 114354.jpg
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

Kushida vs Flip vs Hiromu will be madness
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

These cards need more Dragon Lee.

In fact, all wrestling cards need more Dragon Lee. Even cards he's already on. You're wrestling twice tonight, and you're going to like it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

So how do y'all think this Bullet Club thing is going to play out?

Kenny vanquishes Cody and they kick Cody out of Bullet Club?
Cody wins and they kick Kenny out?
Fingerpoke of doom?
Kiss and make up?
Tama Tonga comes out and gun-stuns them both?
Turns out Ibushi has been in on it the whole time with Cody?
CM Punk shows up and does stuff?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm So how do y'all think this Bullet Club thing is going to play out?

Kenny vanquishes Cody and they kick Cody out of Bullet Club?
Cody wins and they kick Kenny out?
Fingerpoke of doom?
Kiss and make up?
Tama Tonga comes out and gun-stuns them both?
Turns out Ibushi has been in on it the whole time with Cody?
CM Punk shows up and does stuff?
In the moment, this storyline is a really complex shape, in which disentanglement will yield all sorts of alternative histories. Like, if Kenny does truly leave Bullet Club, does Cody take over? If he does, then he has to be fully committed to New Japan than his current selective dates. If not Cody, there aren't many obvious substitutes in the extant Bullet Club. Could Jay White take leadership and claim responsibility for its current disintegration?

Probably the biggest question in this is the fate of the Arising/Oceania members of the group. While I don't think there isn't star power there without Jay White, there is definitely numbers to make that it's own legitimate stable.

And then the Golden Lovers is its whole enigma. Maybe New Japan is finally deciding now is the time to pull the trigger on them to be reunited, but tag teams just aren't prioritized in the company, and Kenny is arguably more important to the stakes of the US expansion as a singles star. I just don't know how long that connection lasts, especially with Kota's spotty date recurrence. More, New Japan doesn't have enough stars to keep Kenny out of top singles title matchups.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

:o :o :o
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Mike0284 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:28 pm Image

:o :o :o
Holy shit. Elgin nearly killed Ishii. Even on a subconscious level he wants to kill his wrestling career.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

So Jericho has won belts in CMLL, NJPW, ECW, WCW, and WWF/E. First one in 1992 in CMLL, 36th and most recent in 2018 in NJPW.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

What's everybody's thoughts on the Okada-Omega match? While I know it was a banger, I don't get the hype around it. It wasn't anything compared to their Wrestle Kingdom match. Also pretty sad to see Okada lose the strap. Especially to Omega. I'm just not that high on Omega.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Mike Adamle wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:56 pm What's everybody's thoughts on the Okada-Omega match? While I know it was a banger, I don't get the hype around it. It wasn't anything compared to their Wrestle Kingdom match. Also pretty sad to see Okada lose the strap. Especially to Omega. I'm just not that high on Omega.
Hold on, let me get my Basic New Japan Fan Brain kit on. OK, let's go:

Man, I really dug that match between the two. The 2/3 falls stipulation was trippier and way more tense than I thought it could be, especially considering the result, and even the fall breakdown, were all pretty much plotted on a map. The 2 minute rest/corner period did as much to make a performance like that to feel like athletic competition. When finishes become obviated, in a sense due to the gimmick of the match, there is a narrative distortion, and I find myself reflecting back on sequences that link to each other through some dream logic. The entire match was caught in this lazy rim of time, and i was so down with the way it fucked with me. By the finish, I was in complete awe of the scale of it: the reign, the characters, the performance, the narrative, and the import of vulnerability. Watching Kenny win was bigger than any victory i have seen. and it felt too big to even redress with the celebratory promo, especially when the theming was so heavily centered on loss. If we're talking about performances between to workers, this uncontestedly would be in the conversation for top ten most outstanding efforts. Still, after all that, I am not sure where the match ranks in their series. I also found that Wrestle Kingdom match from something out of this planet, or at least at the time.