The NJPW Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
dhads7161
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by dhads7161 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:16 am

Cody might not be in G1 but I wonder if this year they may actually finally have somebody take the Tokyo Dome rights off the G1 winner. My scenario, Goto wins G1, Cody steals it from him via shenanigans and challenges the champion (Omega by that time, he wins it in the fall at Destruction or King of Pro Wrestling) at WK.
Just can't see anyone besides Omega at this point dethroning Okada and it's pretty obvious that they're working toward a big Omega vs. Cody program.

dhads7161
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by dhads7161 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 am

SweetDaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:05 am
JR doesn't really know the talent very well.

I also saw him call Evil Bushi.

Josh Barnett corrected him a few times.

I'm a JR fan so I ain't hating.

I didn't bring it up.
Eh, I think he deserves some criticism for last night's performance. He's been calling the World Pro Wrestling on AXS for over a damn year now he should know the talent.

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 1814
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:27 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Thelone » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:25 pm

dhads7161 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:16 am
Cody might not be in G1 but I wonder if this year they may actually finally have somebody take the Tokyo Dome rights off the G1 winner. My scenario, Goto wins G1, Cody steals it from him via shenanigans and challenges the champion (Omega by that time, he wins it in the fall at Destruction or King of Pro Wrestling) at WK.
Just can't see anyone besides Omega at this point dethroning Okada and it's pretty obvious that they're working toward a big Omega vs. Cody program.
... What?

Seems obvious to me that Omega's winning the G1, Son of Dusty challenges him for one of those lame duck shows between the G1 and WK, then Omega and Okada face off at WK for the belt and the tie breaker since Omega is most likely beating Okada during the G1. Gedo has his fair share of flaws, but he's not a dumbfuck like Delirious. Hell, his champion just beat Delirious' fair and square to show everyone who's the boss.

Fucking LOL at the idea of Omega vs. Cody Runnels being the big money match for WK.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.

User avatar
AlexROH
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by AlexROH » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Thelone wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:25 pm
dhads7161 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:16 am
Cody might not be in G1 but I wonder if this year they may actually finally have somebody take the Tokyo Dome rights off the G1 winner. My scenario, Goto wins G1, Cody steals it from him via shenanigans and challenges the champion (Omega by that time, he wins it in the fall at Destruction or King of Pro Wrestling) at WK.
Just can't see anyone besides Omega at this point dethroning Okada and it's pretty obvious that they're working toward a big Omega vs. Cody program.
... What?

Seems obvious to me that Omega's winning the G1, Son of Dusty challenges him for one of those lame duck shows between the G1 and WK, then Omega and Okada face off at WK for the belt and the tie breaker since Omega is most likely beating Okada during the G1. Gedo has his fair share of flaws, but he's not a dumbfuck like Delirious. Hell, his champion just beat Delirious' fair and square to show everyone who's the boss.

Fucking LOL at the idea of Omega vs. Cody Runnels being the big money match for WK.
OMG, neither of you understand how NJPW's booking works lol. Naito is winning this year's G1 Climax. Naito will win the tournament, possible defeating Omega in the finals. Then, Naito will face Okada at WK and win the IWGP Heavyweight title again. It's the perfect story and the better way to do the things. Okada's reign has been one of the better title reings in years. He will arrive to WK as the best wrestler in the world and he'll lose to the other future face of the company, their top heel, Tetsuya Naito. Naito's story is great too. He won the Climax 4 years ago, as a babyface, and everybody booed him. He faced Okada at WK, but since nobody cared about him, the made the IC Title match between Naka and Tana the main event, and NaitovsOkada was a forgettable match.

Now, 5 years later, he's New Japan's hottest talent. He'll win the G1, defeat Okada at WK and will close Wrestle Kingdom. That's the perfect story and that's what they've been building for the last 12 month. Plus, Naito and Okada aren't on the same block this year. NJPW never put the winner and the wrestler that will be champ at WK in the same block bc they want the match to be special in January. That's why Omega is in Okada's block. He could defeat Okada, and then get a title shot at King Of Pro-Wrestling, where Okada will defeat him.

Omega is a good wrestler. But NJPW's priority is japanese talent. Okada and Naito will be the Aces of the company for the next 5-10 years, not Kenny Omega. So, in this scenario, we could see a Omega-Cody match in the future.
Last edited by AlexROH on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SweetDaddy
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:13 am

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by SweetDaddy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Naito is a gifted hand.

And I agree that Omega will only get so far in NJPW.

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 1814
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:27 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Thelone » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:24 pm

AlexROH wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 pm
OMG, neither of you understand how NJPW's booking works lol.
Most likely because I couldn't give less of a shit about New Japan (or wrestling in general frankly at this point), but the sheer ludicrousness of Omega vs. The True American Nightmare being the main program for WK ticked me off in case you couldn't tell.
Naito is winning this year's G1 Climax. Naito will win the tournament, possible defeating Omega in the finals. Then, Naito will face Okada at WK and win the IWGP Heavyweight title again. It's the perfect story and the better way to do the things. Okada's reign has been one of the better title reings in years. He will arrive to WK as the best wrestler in the world and he'll lose to the other future face of the company, their top heel, Tetsuya Naito. Naito's story is great too. He won the Climax 4 years ago, as a babyface, and everybody booed him. He faced Okada at WK, but since nobody cared about him, the made the IC Title match between Naka and Tana the main event, and NaitovsOkada was a forgettable match.

Now, 5 years later, he's New Japan's hottest talent. He'll win the G1, defeat Okada at WK and will close Wrestle Kingdom. That's the perfect story and that's what they've been building for the last 12 month. Plus, Naito and Okada aren't on the same block this year. NJPW never put the winner and the wrestler that will be champ at WK in the same block bc they want the match to be special in January. That's why Omega is in Okada's block. He could defeat Okada, and then get a title shot at King Of Pro-Wrestling, where Okada will defeat him.

Omega is a good wrestler. But NJPW's priority is japanese talent. Okada and Naito will be the Aces of the company for the next 5-10 years, not Kenny Omega. So, in this scenario, we could see a Omega-Cody match in the future.
That makes sense, I'm not gonna argue with that. It's not like Okada needs the rub from beating Omega at WK (like if he leaves for WWE right after) since he already did that this year, but that really wasn't the point I was trying to make anyway so eh.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:45 pm

King of Indy Style wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:04 am
I gotta think they throw Ishii the bone here and he beats Omega. Omega doesn't need the US Title since he's so firmly entrenched in the Main Event, but it'd be a good prize for Ishii since he's such a hard worker, puts incredible effort in his matches, and is one of the most underrated guys in the company.
I normally would be inclined to agree with you...but Ishii is not going to be marketable at all if you want to gain a stronger foothold in the States. ZSJ is all over the fucking place. Easy prop belt to market. The title is beneath Omega. Lethal doesn't appear to be in NJPW plans. That's my two cents.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:49 pm

dhads7161 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:05 am
JR doesn't really know the talent very well.

I also saw him call Evil Bushi.

Josh Barnett corrected him a few times.

I'm a JR fan so I ain't hating.

I didn't bring it up.
Eh, I think he deserves some criticism for last night's performance. He's been calling the World Pro Wrestling on AXS for over a damn year now he should know the talent.
Yeah off night for JR. At least he corrected Barnett which Briscoe was which.

dhads7161
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by dhads7161 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Omega vs. Okada IV (III for the title) will probably happen on one of the major fall cards though. Omega will probably win their block and be the only one to beat Okada.
Omega vs. Cody is going to be one of the major programs for WK probably over the U.S. Title. Probably the number three match on the card after Okada and Tanahashi matches (wonder who they'll give Tanahashi at WK? Elgin, maybe Ibushi?). I don't think they really look at Naito as an Ace type in actuality. He just did the job for Ishii and drops more big matches than he wins (though that could all be part of being tranquilo). At this point I'm starting to think Okada may have a marathon reign and the main events will be Okada vs. Flavor of the month challenger on every big show.

User avatar
King of Indy Style
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by King of Indy Style » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:16 pm

There is no way that Ibushi/Omega isn't happening at WK, bar an injury. Cody/Omega ain't happening at WK at ALL

User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Wilson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:41 am

I don’t see a scenario in which neither Okada/Naito or Omega/Ibushi are the main events for Wrestle Kingdom.

Still, dhads called out Kenny winning the IWGP US Title, whom I thought to be among the least likely of candidates to win, especially since his star seems so much above it. In some sense it’s the safest decision, as being championed in front of a Bullet Club-lusty crowd as well as having been made an actual main event player as the inaugural title holder cannot hurt. The otherworldly spectacle he is to behold, Omega had two incredibly physical sprints in the same night, which already makes the title look near top-class (which I’m sure is only soon to descend).

In other news, ROH came out to a respectable 0-2 in singles matches during the weekend, in which their main eventers looked leagues away from their New Japan counterparts. Lethal and Cody were both involved in very good matches despite having trouble keeping up with the demanding pace Omega and Okada (constantly) perform from.

dhads7161
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by dhads7161 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:38 am

I wonder how they're going to handle defenses of the U.S. title now. Perhaps this opens the door for Omega to appear in ROH more because a United States Championship not being defended in the United States for a year would be a joke. Maybe he'll appear on PPVs and TV tapings to defend the U.S. title. And maybe his showdown with Cody will be in ROH, title for title at Final Battle.

ICHIFUJI
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:16 am

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by ICHIFUJI » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:05 am

As IC title used to keep them away from IWGP Heavyweight.
US title works Omega keep out from IC and Heavywight title.
US title defend once in 6month is enough.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:58 am

Wilson wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:41 am
I don’t see a scenario in which neither Okada/Naito or Omega/Ibushi are the main events for Wrestle Kingdom.

Still, dhads called out Kenny winning the IWGP US Title, whom I thought to be among the least likely of candidates to win, especially since his star seems so much above it. In some sense it’s the safest decision, as being championed in front of a Bullet Club-lusty crowd as well as having been made an actual main event player as the inaugural title holder cannot hurt. The otherworldly spectacle he is to behold, Omega had two incredibly physical sprints in the same night, which already makes the title look near top-class (which I’m sure is only soon to descend).

In other news, ROH came out to a respectable 0-2 in singles matches during the weekend, in which their main eventers looked leagues away from their New Japan counterparts. Lethal and Cody were both involved in very good matches despite having trouble keeping up with the demanding pace Omega and Okada (constantly) perform from.
Yeah man, the ROH/NJPW relationship is what it is and what always will be...subservience. Clearly shown by this weekend's outing, ROH guys are stepping stones in the booking.

I ask you this. If the GOD/Page team vs. War Machine/Elgin had taken place on an ROH show instead, would Page had gotten the pin for his team? Or would he had eaten it?

dhads7161
Posts: 1410
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by dhads7161 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 am

Page woukd have taken the fall no matter where the match happened. ROH or NJPW.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 am

dhads7161 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 am
Page woukd have taken the fall no matter where the match happened. ROH or NJPW.
Spoiler: show
Yeah but he pinned Rowe last night which is why I asked the question.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 am

Is it me or did Gedo take the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title off of Takahashi too soon? I love KUSHIDA, but Hiromu had some stellar title defenses.

Montana
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 am

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by Montana » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:10 am

I have a few NJPW questions hopefully someone more familiar with the company can help...

1) So it seems like some shows have English commentary , some don't. Is it basically the bigger shows have english commentary? Or TV Tapings?

2) How does NJPW World compare to the content on AXS? Did AXS run the full July 1st/2nd shows? (trying to compare the app vs. adding AXS to the cable package)

3) Do they have all the wrestle kingdom shows on NJPW world? They under shows? (doesn't seem the easiest to search, but i probably just need to familiarize myself with the App.)

4) Anything else i should know about NJPW World and or the company?

So basically picked up NJPW world this weekend to watch the tournament post Okada/Rhodes. I should have got it before i saw some results. Pretty impressive shows. So much talent right now in NJPW. A few quick thoughts.

- Ishii/Omega was incredible. Great way to cap the show off.
- Okada / Rhodes was a pretty good match.
- All of Omega's stuff was great, and hopefully he's able to appear in the US more.
- Hated Josh Barnett on commentary, and thought JR was OK. Although i must say, the english commentary makes it so much easier to watch. I've watched dozens of matches with japenese commentary, and it's difficult.
- Juice Robinson ... surprised he was so over? Has he been killing it in Japan or something?
- Billy Gunn... Does he wrestle in NJPW often? Odd to see him in a marquee match.
- Dragon Lee is awesome.

SweetDaddy
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:13 am

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by SweetDaddy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:35 am

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 am
Is it me or did Gedo take the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title off of Takahashi too soon? I love KUSHIDA, but Hiromu had some stellar title defenses.
Hiromu's gimmick screams child molester or Michael Jackson to me.

SweetDaddy
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:13 am

Re: The NJPW Thread - G1 Special

Post by SweetDaddy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Montana...

I wouldn't say Juice Robinson has been killing it by any means but he has gotten somewhat of a push.

I think he pinned Naito recently and he is in the G1 and that's the NJPW top hands.

As far as Billy Gunn goes he does show up from time to time but he's not in the title picture by any means and is in a 3 Man Band level group.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests