The PWX Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
ColourMeCurious

The PWX Thread

Post by ColourMeCurious »

PWX is becoming a pretty big indy, and thought it was big enough to have its own thread.
They just had a iPPV/TV taping last night, here are the results via PWPonderings
Dark match
Zane Dawson def Chase Brown with a lariat

Zane Riley def Billy Brash w/ a death valley driver

Kyle O’Reilly def Mr Elite tapping him to the cross arm breaker

Amber O’Neal & Santana Garrett def Amy Love & Amanda Rodriguez when Garrett pins Love after a handstand springboard moonsault.

iTV Championship
Chip Day (c) vs. Trevor Lee vs Corey Hollis (came out and demanded he be a part of the match) went to the 10 minute time limit draw each man receives a rematch at anytime and they want it now so the match was restarted.
Chip Day retained by pinning Trevor Lee w/ a roundhouse kick.

Cedric Alexander def Jay Lethal after 2 sick kicks & 2 brain busters

PWX Tag Team Championships Fatal Fourway
Jake Manning & John Skyler (c) vs. American Tiger & Andrew Everette vs. Worst Case Scenario (Eli Evans & Ethan Case) with The Tommy Thomas, vs. Darren Dean and Aaron Solo
- John Skyler appeared on the video wall from England w/ his tag title and tell Manning to defend them honorably by himself
- Manning retained the tag titles w/ rope assisted piledriver on Aaron Solo.

PWX Championship Steel Cage Match
Caleb Konley (c) def Kevin Steen w/ a God’s Last Gift after Corino wouldn’t count the fall for Steen to retain
The show was great, everything after the iTV title match was awesome. Lethal/Alexander was MOTN. After Lethal/Alexander, there was a video challenge from Tomasso Ciampa to Alexander for the next show, and after the cage match, Steen challenged Corino to a match on the next show too.

The replay is available on Highspots.tv
jackalope3

Re: The PWX Thread

Post by jackalope3 »

I agree, PWX does indeed deserve it's own thread. Tyshion Williams, the owner and promoter, is a Highspots and Ring Of Honor employee. He is a super nice guy and he wants to take the company to another level. I believe he is well on his way. PWX recently announced a tv deal with a few CW affiliates in North Carolina and South Carolina, with more to hopefully come soon.

Several ROH guys have recently made multiple appearances in PWX. Cedric Alexander, Steve Corino and Adam Page are regulars. The rest of their roster features some the best young talent in the southeast United States including John Skyler, Jake Manning, Caleb Konley, Corey Hollis, Chip Day and Andrew Everett (Chiva Kid).

In addition to being an I-ppv, Saturday's card also served as PWX's first round of tv tapings. I attended the show and it was excellent. The match of the night was Cedric Alexander vs. Jay Lethal. Simply outstanding. I would encourage everyone to check out this match. As much as I like C&C Wrestle Factory, it really doesn't give you an idea of how good Cedric is and how much potential he has. I would be amazed if he is not in WWE someday.

The main event was Steen vs. Caleb Konley in a steel cage and it was a good brawl, with excellent crowd heat.

As good as Steen/Conley was, my choice for second best match of the card goes to the triple threat match for the PWX TV title. Chip Day, the champion, defended against Corey Hollis and CWF Mid-Atlantic regular Trevor Lee. This a hot match from start to finish. Some would dismiss it as an 'indy-riffic spotfest', but whatever. The crowd loved it. Most ROH fans have seen Corey Hollis as part of Alabama Attitude and he is a solid young talent, but I feel his former PWX tag team partner Chip Day is underrated. Mainly because his hairstyle and lack of muscle definition cause some fans not to take him seriously. He looks like a skateboarder kid or someone you might see working at a tattoo parlor. But he is good in the ring and has an unorthodox charisma that I think could eventually make him a dark horse-type fan favorite. Trevor Lee is excellent at selling for his opponents and plays a great old-school heel who antagonizes the crowd with his constant whiny commentary in the ring. Trevor gave the crowd one of the best highspots of the night when he took a running start and jumped off the top of the ring post (not the turnbuckle) and somersaulted onto Corey and Chip. The crowd popped huge for that one.

Next month's show is July 19th and includes the matches that ColorMeCurious mentioned earlier. Eddie Edwards is scheduled to be there as well. So it should be a fun night.

Sorry about going on and on, but I really dig this promotion and want to see them succeed. I think if anyone checks out the replay, they will feel it was money well spent.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Review for PWX Leader of the Pack

This card seems to be only available for $5 on Highspots as a video download. But the top half of the card looked good, and my one other exposure to PWX impressed me to give it a shot. Also I recognize some of guys from ROH.

Brief thoughts: Lighting is bad, and after the third match, for some bizarre reason, a strobe lights starts flashing and never turns off. There's one commentator for the majority of the card, and while there's a two camera shot, ni 2 of the matches the hard camera is not used and there's no commentary in either of them.

And with that aside, here are the matches

Chiva Kid & Corey Hollis & Chip Day vs. Fun Athletic Guys & Mike Sydal
Chiva Kid looks the best, and Sydal really doesn't break out any of his usual high flying moves. **1/2

"Mr. Elite" Drew Myers vs. Ernie Osiris
It's weird seeing Dirty... I mean 'Cinderella Man' Osiris in a ring. Myers needs some work

The Nutty Buddies (Preston McDaniel & Zane Riley) vs. S#!%ty & Stiff (Craig Huffman & Jimmy Jack Funk Jr.)

Two Fat Non-Athletic Guys vs. One Fat and One Previously Fat Non-Athletic Guys
Apparently this is a revenge match as JJFJ turned on Riley. *1/2

And now on to the matches I really wanted to see:

Adam Page vs. Eddie Edwards

This is the first 'fan cam' match. Edwards' thumb is really taped up and impedes him on several moves as he has to try and work around it, which affects the match. But only a little. Page is a real talent and Eddie is Eddie.

***1/4

Kyle O' Reilly vs. Arik Royal vs. Michael Darren (Xperience Fan Cam Footage)

Royal is a big guy who impresses me. ***1/4

And back to the two cameras as Eddie helps commentate on this match

Davey Richards vs. Caleb Konley

They give these guys plenty of time to work, and the work is great. Yes, Davey is the better guy but Konley can hang with him. Eddie has a great line where Davey top rope double stomps Konley and he informs us that Davey 'dedicated that to me'. MOTN ***3/4

No DQ - PWX Title Match: Cedric Alexander vs. Rhett Titus (c)

Apparently this is the end of the feud in which Titus has sent the Briscoes, his partner Kenny King, and his own 'Jersey Shore Crew' after Cedric, and this is Cedric's final shot. Another match given enough time to be good.

***1/2

Overall, at $5 it's worth the price thanks to the upper part of the card.
Last edited by DBSommer on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

interesting thing is there is a PWX in Pittsburgh also. They used to be known as NWA East and have since fled from NWA. Tyrone Evans (Michael Tarver) Sterling James Keenan (Cory Graves) Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno) all started their under the NWA East name. Kurt Angle also trained w them before joining WWF. This is one of the first wrestling companies I worked for. They have tv now on Verizon Fios and just had Jerry Jarrett come in for their last show. They rarely use big name talent with the exception being the Honky Tonk Man recently. www.nwaeast.com if anyone wants to check them out.
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

DBSommer wrote:Review for PWX Leader of the Pack

This card seems to be only available for $5 on Highspots as a video download. But the top half of the card looked good, and my one other exposure to PWX impressed me to give it a shot. Also I recognize some of guys from ROH.

Brief thoughts: Lighting is bad, and after the third match, for some bizarre reason, a strobe lights starts flashing and never turns off. There's one commentator for the majority of the card, and while there's a two camera shot, ni 2 of the matches the hard camera is not used and there's no commentary in either of them.

And with that aside, here are the matches

Chiva Kid & Corey Hollis & Chip Day vs. Fun Athletic Guys & Mike Sydal
Chiva Kid looks the best, and Sydal really doesn't break out any of his usual high flying moves. **1/2

"Mr. Elite" Drew Myers vs. Ernie Osiris
It's weird seeing Dirty... I mean 'Cinderella Man' Osiris in a ring. Myers needs some work

The Nutty Buddies (Preston McDaniel & Zane Riley) vs. S#!%ty & Stiff (Craig Huffman & Jimmy Jack Funk Jr.)

Two Fat Non-Athletic Guys vs. One Fat and One Previously Fat Non-Athletic Guys
Apparently this is a revenge match as JJFJ turned on Riley. *1/2

And now on to the matches I really wanted to see:

Adam Page vs. Eddie Edwards

This is the first 'fan cam' match. Edwards' thumb is really taped up and impedes him on several moves as he has to try and work around it, which affects the match. But only a little. Page is a real talent and Eddie is Eddie.

***1/4

Kyle O' Reilly vs. Arik Royal vs. Michael Darren (Xperience Fan Cam Footage)

Royal is a big guy who impresses me. ***1/4

And back to the two cameras as Eddie helps commentate on this match

Davey Richards vs. Caleb Konley

They give these guys plenty of time to work, and the work is great. Yes, Davey is the better guy but Konley can hang with him. Eddie has a great line where Davey top rope double stomps Konley and he informs us that Davey 'dedicated that to me'. MOTN ***3/4

No DQ - PWX Title Match: Cedric Alexander vs. Rhett Titus (c)

Apparently this is the end of the feud in which Titus has sent the Briscoes, his partner Kenny King, and his own 'Jersey Shore Crew' after Cedric, and this is Cedric's final shot. Another match given enough time to be good.

***1/2

Overall, at $5 it's worth the price thanks to the upper part of the card.
I haven't seen "Leader of the Pack" yet. Thanks for the review.

Two PWX shows that I would recommend downloading from Highspots are:

'What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger 2' (from 11-30-12) - $7.99 download
Solid card from top to bottom. PWX really started to hit its stride with this show. This one features the first Cedric Alexander vs. Davey Richards match that has been discussed on the forums lately. Really good match. Adam Cole, Roddy & Eddie also debut here as the Dojo Bros (love the gimmick). At this show Adam wins the PWX title from Kaleb Conley while Eddie & Roddy win the tag belts from the Great Outdoors. Other good matches include John Skyler vs. Lodi in an 'I Quit' match and Kyle O'Reilly vs. Chip Day in a quality, hard-hitting opener. Steve Corino also has a good time berating the crowd for a little cheap heat.

'Rise Of A Champion VIII' (from 2-23-13) - $9.99 download
This is the show that gives you Kevin Steen & Davey Richards teaming up (for the first time maybe?) in a 3-way tag match against the Dojo Bros (Eddie & Roddy) and the Great Outdoors. This one was a lot of fun. Also, Kaleb wins back the PWX title from Adam Cole, Chiva Kid (Andrew Everett) takes on Corey Hollis in an excellent match, and Cedric Alexander wrestles Chip Day.
ColourMeCurious

I also have two recommendations. Both are $9.99 downloads.

Enemy Territory

Has a few matches worth checking out in Page/Alexander, Elgin/Hollis, Delirious/Chiva Kid, and Edwards/Manning. Caleb Konley and Kevin Steen have a match, but I did not like the DQ finish, but it was a good brawl.

A Hunt for Gold

This one had a shoot tag tournament where the fans pick teams via names out of a hat. That was pretty fun and created so great new angles. Kyle O'Reilly v. Cedric Alexander was absolutely awesome, as was Davey Richards v. Caleb Konley. If you were to pick one from these two, I'd definitely recommend this card over "Enemy Territory."

Would love to read your thoughts on these shows.
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

ColourMeCurious wrote:I also have two recommendations. Both are $9.99 downloads.

Enemy Territory

Has a few matches worth checking out in Page/Alexander, Elgin/Hollis, Delirious/Chiva Kid, and Edwards/Manning. Caleb Konley and Kevin Steen have a match, but I did not like the DQ finish, but it was a good brawl.

A Hunt for Gold

This one had a shoot tag tournament where the fans pick teams via names out of a hat. That was pretty fun and created so great new angles. Kyle O'Reilly v. Cedric Alexander was absolutely awesome, as was Davey Richards v. Caleb Konley. If you were to pick one from these two, I'd definitely recommend this card over "Enemy Territory."

Would love to read your thoughts on these shows.
I agree with everything you have said. I attended both shows and enjoyed them, but I would give an edge to "A Hunt For Gold" over "Enemy Territory."

I understand why they did a DQ finish with Steen / Conley at "Enemy Territory" (to set up the rematch for the 6/29 ippv) but it still left me unsatisfied. The other matches you mentioned were all good though.

As far as "A Hunt For Gold" goes, the tag title tournament was a lot of fun. The fact that the guys had to go backstage and come up with finishes for their matches gave it some unpredictability, which is rare in wrestling today.

I didn't have a problem with Chip Day and Amanda Rodriguez advancing to the tournament finals (mainly because I enjoy Chip's matches) but I didn't like seeing Drew Myers taking a pinfall from Amanda in an earlier round. To me, Drew is one of their 'up and comers' and I think it hurt him just a little taking a pin from her. I know it wasn't your typical wrestling situation, but I just don't think it looks good. A minor quibble though over a good show. Davey/Conley and Kyle /Cedric were very good. I also liked the potential storyline dynamic with John Skyler and Jake Manning being forced to team up and defend the belts.
xOZx2010

Post by xOZx2010 »

I'll just leave this here. :D

Being a Carolina local who frequents PWX every month, I'm happy for them.. even if it is syndicated programming in the Carolinas.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I am huge fan of PWX, so happy for them
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

187_Joeism wrote:I am huge fan of PWX, so happy for them
Absolutely. I hope things continue to progress successfully for them.

In August, they will be running shows in the Charlotte / Concord area for consecutive nights. I believe that this is a first for them. I plan on attending both shows and I hope other fans will as well. Let's show our support for what Tyshion and company are doing.
xOZx2010

Post by xOZx2010 »

I know Ty fairly well, and it's interesting to note that on top of him having Johnny Gargano and Rich Swann on the August 16th show, he has apparently almost booked Matt and Nick Jackson to appear on the August 17th show, which happens to be a TV taping. The show on the 16th is an iPPV available via Highspots.com and will feature Cedric Alexander vs. Johnny Gargano and Andrew Everett vs. Rich Swann.

I already have plans to be front row for both nights to support this fantastic, fantastic company.

ALSO: Their Twitter account, and from talking to Ty himself, have said that this Saturday's show in Concord, NC will feature a huge announcement and that, quote, "dreams really do come true.." in regards to the companies future in the Charlotte, North Carolina area. So.. I'm excited to find out what this news is.
ColourMeCurious

Anyone go to the last show?
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

ColourMeCurious wrote:Anyone go to the last show?
I did and the match of the night was undoubtedly Cedric Alexander vs. Tomasso Ciampa. Both guys worked hard with Cedric going over in yet another star-making performance. It ROH is not going to put the tag belts on C&C, then they should go ahead and split them and concentrate on a solo push for Cedric. He SO deserves it. Ciampa was excellent as well and the fans chanted "please come back" to him after the match.

Steen and Corino had a wild and entertaining street fight to close the show. Though it was not as long as their match at Final Battle 2011, both guys went hard and fast at each other while brawling all over the building. Steen won with a package piledriver after dropping Corino on a ladder propped up by two chairs. When the match was done, Steen grabbed the mic and put over Corino as a wrestler, mentor, and friend. It was a nice way to close the show.

All and all it was another solid show from PWX, though it was not up to recent standards. I say this just because they have set the bar so high in recent months. I did not feel the undercard matches were as good as the previous shows. But still well worth the money.

August's Ippv on Highspots sounds promising as well featuring Cedric Alexander vs. Johnny Gargano in the main event.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Review of PWX Declaration of Independence

You can get this as an individual download or as part of a 2 DVD set with this being Night 2 at Highspots.

One commentator and a variety of heels dropping by to help out on this. The heel for the early parts is enjoyable.

Adam Page vs. Roderick Strong

One of the main reasons I bought this. Both guys deliver a fine performance with Page being a talented young guy and Roddy being Roddy

***-***1/4

TV Title Tournament Qualifier: Arik Royal vs. Marcellus King

Only my third time seeing Royal, and he continues to impress me as a big guy that has fluid motion in the ring. King looked good too.

**3/4

Last Man Standing Match: Craig Huffman vs. 'Thunder Warrior' Preston McDaniel

Meh worthy match totally ruined by the appearance of Loch Ness' Masked Clone.

*1/2

TV Title Tournament Qualifier: Cedric Alexander vs. John Skyler

Does Cedric ever deliver less than quality? My first time seeing Skyler, and he's pretty good.

***1/4-***1/2

"Mr Elite" Drew Myers & Alex Avgerinos vs. Chiva Kid & Alex Bird

Heel commentator calls the faces Roadkill Cafe, and they look it. Chiva Kid (Andrew Everett) definitely looks the best in this lot.

**3/4

Zane Riley vs. Jimmy Jack Funk Jr. - Bull Rope Match

Okay match. Riley is supposed to take on Kevin Steen at the next show, though, poor bastard.

**1/4

PWX Tag Team Title Match - The Great Outdoors ("Man Scout" Jake Manning & Grizzly Redwood) vs. Generation Kill (Chip Day & Corey Hollis)

This was probably the best gimmick for Grizz. Quality match as both teams work well together.

***1/4-***1/2

PWX Heavyweight Title Match - Caleb Konley (c) vs. Rhett Titus

Konley won the title from Titus the night before and this is the rematch. Another quality match though it never hits what I would call high gear, but it is a long one. I've actually seen better from Konley against the likes of Alexander, Davey Richard, and Adam Cole. Titus however, this is one of his best solo efforts.

***1/2

Overall the recognizable talent delivered, though there were no 'breakout' matches. I felt both What Doesn't Kill You II and Leader of the Pack were stronger cards, but this was only 5$ for the download, and worth it at that price. I'd highly recommend picking up the other two I mentioned first, though.
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

I attended the PWX show this past weekend and was told by several fans that promoter Tyshion Williams has been forced out of the promotion by Highspots. I don't know if these are unsubstantiated rumors or fact. He was not at the show and I've never been to a PWX card without Ty present, so I wonder if it is true.

I've always liked Ty and hope that he will still be around.

If anyone out there has some insight, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Shook1

Post by Shook1 »

Love PWX! I bought a DVD off of E bay a year or so ago and have been watching everything I can since.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Review for Rise of a Champion VIII

Shane Helms on commentary with the usual guy. For an iPPV the camera work wasn't the greatest.

Cedric Alexander vs. Chip Day

Alexander delivers as always. ***

Rhett Titus & Ernie Osiris vs. John Skyler & Mr. Elite

Titus returns after a long absence. A pity he and Skyler didn't have a singles bout and get rid of the dead weight.

**1/2

Seth James vs. Chris Leah

Two green guys get squashed by the debuting KONGO.

N/R Angle

Mike Bennett & Maria vs. Zane Riley & Amber O'Neal

Decent comedy match. **1/2

Non-Title 3 Way Elimination Match: The Great Outdoors (Jake Manning & Grizzly Redwood) vs. PWX Tag Team Champs The Dojo Bros (Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong) vs. Kevin Steen & Davey Richards

Two great teams and two great wrestlers in a team. And this is good. Not the fastest pace in the world, but everyone is spot on.

***3/4, but they got an extra quarter star for keeping me entertained for the duration.

Corey Hollis vs. Chiva Kid

Very enjoyable match. The guys are given plenty of time to work the match. ***1/4-1/2

PWX Title Match 2/3 Falls: Adam Cole (c) vs. Caleb Konley

Pay no attention to the announcer saying each fall has a different stipulation as the match isn't worked that way. This was a great match, though. Cole and Konley have a hell of a match.

***3/4
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I actually didn't even see this thread and tried to make a PWX thread. I'll just comment here.

They're shows, lately, have been really good. I have to get caught up and watch the Declaration of Independence and Live & In Demand shows, but i'm sure they're good. I like watching guys like Cedric Alexander, Caleb Konley, Corey Hollis get good build ups and recognition, i've been watching them for years, waiting for someone to push them into the "spotlight".
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Does anyone know how Alexander's Dream Series had gone. Since he was having outstanding matches against just about everyone in PWX the last year I was curious as to if he's been keeping it up or not. His list of competitors is a who's who of wrestling.
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

DBSommer wrote:Does anyone know how Alexander's Dream Series had gone. Since he was having outstanding matches against just about everyone in PWX the last year I was curious as to if he's been keeping it up or not. His list of competitors is a who's who of wrestling.
Cedric's Dream Series is still around. He will be facing AJ Styles on January 19th at PWX's first-ever card in Winston-Salem.

Should be a great match and card. Steen, Elgin, and Davey are scheduled to appear as well.