The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Wavelet Transform

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Pretty interesting BOLA lineup. They haven't been able to match the heights of 2014-16 BOLAs the last few years, but like that they're pushing some of the home grown talents and that there are a number of new faces.

PWG's been hit fairly hard w/ roster departures the last 18 months, which makes this a tough tournament to predict. Short of a non-Fenix/Penta lucha guy and Orange Cassidy, I have no idea who takes this thing or even what the finals will likely look like.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Cobb vs Sekimoto crikey
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 9/22/19 Results from the Globe Theater in Los Angeles, CA.
Photo Credit: @thezeiders
Results Credit: SoCal Uncensored

Battle of Los Angeles Quarter Finals Match
Dragon Lee over Jake Atlas via running knee

Bandido over Brody King via springboard suplex

Jonathan Gresham over A-Kid via ref stoppage

Joey Janela over Rey Fenix via superkick

Darby Allin over Penta El Zero M via bridging suplex

David Starr over Jeff Cobb via lariat

Dark Order (Evil Uno and Stu Grayson) over Rey Horus and Aramis

Battle of Los Angeles Semi Finals Match
Jonathan Gresham over Joey Janela by submission

Bandido over Dragon Lee via a German Suplex into a bridge

David Starr over Darby Allin via lariat

Caveman Ugg, Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy, Artemis Spencer and Paris DeSilva over Mick Moretti, Lucky Kid, Tony Deppen, Black Taurus and Kyle Fletcher

Battle of Los Angeles Finals Match
Bandido over David Starr and Jonathan Gresham
– Gresham eliminated Starr in via ref stoppage
– Bandido pinned Gresham after a springboard german suplex
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

http://socaluncensored.com/2020/01/06/f ... -ian-dies/
Jon Ian, who was probably best known outside of Southern California as the long-time ring announcer for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, has died at age 48. In addition to ring announcing for PWG, Ian was the promoter for Mach-1 and worked behind the scenes at Championship Wrestling from Hollywood.

Jon Ian got into the entertainment industry at an early age, with roles on such shows as The Jeffersons and Good Times as a child. He was also into sports and played varsity basketball at Newbridge High School in Santa Monica, CA.

After graduating college, Ian began coaching basketball at Rialto High School. It was while coaching at Rialto High School that Ian learned of Jesse Hernandez and Bill Anderson’s EWF School of Hard Knocks in the late 1990s.

It was EWF where Ian first started ring announcing. Ian would later ring announce for Bill Anderson’s IWC, UPW (which was a developmental territory at the time), PWG, New Japan USA, and Championship Wrestling from Hollywood.

In 2008, Ian started the Mach-1 Wrestling promotion, which ran primarily in the Orange County area of Southern California. In 2010 Mach-1 finished as runner-up to PWG for the Southern California Promotion of the Year award. Jon Ian stopped promoting Mach-1 events in 2013 but had talked about bringing the promotion back in recent years.

His body was discovered at home this morning by his roommate. No cause of death has been revealed.

Ian had battled health issues through the years, having taken a lengthy absence from wrestling in 2006, then suffering two heart failures in 2015 that left him in a coma for three-and-a-half weeks.

After news of Ian’s death came out, people throughout the wrestling community, from every major promotion, have offered condolences and paid tribute to him. Kevin Owens tweeted “I am so saddened to hear about the passing of former PWG ring announcer Jon Ian. A great guy taken way too soon. The wrestling world was a better place with him in it.”

Peter Avalon, who worked with Ian at Mach-1, PWG, and Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, wrote “Jon Ian was a patient and generous man who helped me immensely in my early days as a wrestler. He helped me understand a lot of what it means to be a professional in an industry I had no idea about. His weekly Friday night Mach-1 shows helped mold so many of us as wrestlers and performers in Southern California. Those shows were an escape for so many of us young wrestlers to come and make ourselves better in a warm, welcoming learning environment. It’s where we learned how to be on TV before CWFH. It’s where I had an opportunity to be ‘Pretty.'”

And Championship Wrestling from Hollywood promoter David Marquez, who began working with Ian at UPW posted the following on Facebook: “My Brother. My Partner. My beautiful friend is gone. There are not enough adjectives to describe Jon Ian. We had an amazing relationship, you know the type. We could look at one another and know exactly what were thinking. We could crack each other up without speaking a word. In wrestling he had a major influence, always giving EVERYONE a chance. He worked with everyone from John Cena to Sexy Chino, they were just the ‘Boys’ to him. I’m truly heartbroken. He was a giant. So long old Pal.”
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

PWG gave us Gresham vs Moriarty at their current show. And that show looked great
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

indyfan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 am PWG gave us Gresham vs Moriarty at their current show. And that show looked great
I found it funny, Meltzer said the show would have a strong AEW presence and then more then half the show was ROH talent going over.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:41 am
indyfan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 am PWG gave us Gresham vs Moriarty at their current show. And that show looked great
I found it funny, Meltzer said the show would have a strong AEW presence and then more then half the show was ROH talent going over.
Yeah im glad they went over but the show did have a strong AEW presence with the way it ended
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

indyfan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:47 am
kovs27 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:41 am
Yeah im glad they went over but the show did have a strong AEW presence with the way it ended
Kind of. One AEW guy getting involved with 3 ROH guys and an Impact guy.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Any clue when it will be released???
Montana

Post by Montana »

PWG has announced the card for their November show, titled “It’s A Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n’ Roll).” The company revealed the lineup for the event on Thursday, which you can see in full below.

The show takes place on November 21st, with tickets going on sale next Thursday at 8 PM PT.

* PWG World Championship Match: Alex Shelley vs Bandido
* PWG World Tag Team Championship Match: Anthony Henry & JD Drake vs. Kings of the Black Throne (Malakai Black & Brody King)
* Lio Rush vs. Davey Richards
* Aramis & Rey Horus vs. Jack Cartwheel & Alex Zayne
* Daniel Garcia vs. Jonathan Gresham
* Demonic Flamita vs. Dragon Lee
* Tony Deppen vs. Lee Moriarty

God damn, this is a killer line up. PWG is using AEW and ROH guys, better than ROH & AEW. All the matches are really good; but Deppen vs. Moriarty, Gresham vs Garcia, and the Workhorsemen vs. Kings of the Black Thorne sound amazing!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

That is an awesome card. Can't wait to watch it on blu ray in 2023.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I checked out Mystery Vortex 7

Jack Cartwheel vs Deppen. Good opener. Deppens always great and Cartwheel had some good offense incorporating cartwheels. Deppen landing that knee while Cartwheel was doing the SSP was awesome ***1/4

Brody King vs JD Drake good hoss battle. Brody is the man but Drake was awesome too. When he shot brody from the floor into the ropes and clobbered him as he bounced back to the outside was nuts. They beat the shit out of each other ***1/4

Flamita vs Arez It was good. i love Flamiras heel work. I enjoyed the match. Arez had a good showing ***

Lee Moriarty vs Gresham This match was beautiful. Gresham is so good and Lee was fantastic too. Like i said Gresham is the best technical wrestler alive. Happy to hear he was announced as representing the Foundation. ****1/2

Lil Rascals vs Rey Horus and Artemis Fun tag match Trey Miguel was awesome in this. Rey Horus is getting better and better everytime i see him. Can he catch up to cousin?..not sure. Rey Mysterios leaves big shoes to fill. Im happy Horus got the pin. I love his finisher ***3/4

Bandido vs Taurus another awesome match. Loved Bandido bringing all his gold to the ring. Taurus did a lot of awesone offense for his size. Also loved his guerilla press off the top turbuckle. That was a long way down for Bandido. ****

The big surprise at the end was cool. Super Dragon coming back all the time is played out but pairing him with Flamita and Taurus is different. Brody and Tommy End joining up is cool too. Pwg faithful loved the show and it made a great 2 hour watch.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I haven't kept up with indy news routinely since maybe right before the pandemic so somebody fill me in on the future of PWG or why there hasn't been another word about the next show? What have I missed?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.