The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
User avatar
fm20000
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:08 pm

The PWG Thread

Post by fm20000 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 am

Preview for PWG's latest show FEAR. Looks fucking amazing.


Look at this card.

Tag Team Match
1. Fightin' Taylor Boys (Brian Cage-Taylor & Ryan Taylor) vs. Kenny King & TJ Perkins

Singles Match
2. The Amazing Red vs. Roderick Strong

8-Person Tag Team Match
3. "Pretty" Peter Avalon, Ray Rosas, & The Dynasty (Joey Ryan & Scorpio Sky) vs. B-Boy, Famous B, Chris Kadillak, & Candice LeRae

Singles Match
4. Chris Hero vs. Willie Mack

Tag Team Match
5. Future Shock (Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly) vs. RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma)

Tag Team Match
6. American Wolves (Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards) vs. Super Smash Bros. (Player Uno & Stupefied)

Non-Title Singles Match
7. El Generico (Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion) vs. Dick Togo

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Guerrilla Warfare Match
8. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - Champions vs. Appetite for Destruction (Super Dragon & Kevin Steen) - Challengers

syxxpakk
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 am

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by syxxpakk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:19 am

I've always had trouble getting into PWG.

User avatar
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:18 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by ROHWorld_Steven » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:04 am

Their cards are always really good but I tried to watch Steen Wolf the other day and I was struggling with it. I'm not sure why. The fact that there are no entrances really bugs me.
Image

steenisAgod
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:43 am

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by steenisAgod » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:00 am

Should be interesting to see how Red does. RoH could do with a high flyer.

User avatar
fm20000
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by fm20000 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 am

syxxpakk wrote:I've always had trouble getting into PWG.
Why? Their shows are all amazing. Last year quality wise they matched or were better than ROH.
ROHWorld_Steven wrote:Their cards are always really good but I tried to watch Steen Wolf the other day and I was struggling with it. I'm not sure why. The fact that there are no entrances really bugs me.
How can you struggle watching that show? That was my show of the year last year. And they don't have entrances because they don't want to get in trouble for copyright crap. Doesn't really bother me too much.

User avatar
RoaringElbow
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 am
Location: Badstreet, USA
Contact:

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by RoaringElbow » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 am

these guys put on some great stuff. But if ROH only ran 10 shows a year, theyd all be incredible too

syxxpakk
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 am

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by syxxpakk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm

fm20000 wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:I've always had trouble getting into PWG.
Why? Their shows are all amazing. Last year quality wise they matched or were better than ROH.
I doubt it, honestly. While I understand that they produce some high-quality matches, from the PWG DVDs I purchased (Guerre Sans Frontieres - Battle of Los Angeles 2009 Night 2), I found a severe lack of quality storylines. From discussions I've had with others, it appears there are rarely any storylines to be heard of (the most common answers I was given were the Hero/Tornado-feud, Steen/Super Dragon-feud, and these days Steen/Young Bucks).

The DVDs I watched I was pretty hopeful for. It seemed there was a storyline building with Danielson winning the belt and then vacating it. At the very least crowning a new champion in a promotion's major tournament should be suitable for content for good storytelling. At best, it was OK and it seemed like they were just trying to match up the best possible opponents. Which is fine, if that's your thing.

The ending of the entire tournament was my favorite part. I knew a little about the Generico/Omega/Taylor-shenanigans through YouTube videos - so watching Generico, Cabana, and Omega fend off the Young Bucks and Brian Kendrick was pretty cool and seemed to set the stage for a good top-of-the-card program.

Except it didn't happen. I immediately checked the line-up for the next show (Kurt Russellreunion) and Kenny Omega wasn't present, and the Young Bucks were fighting Brian Kendrick. Omega would be at the next show, defending against Davey Richards. So it was like there was no follow-up to the Omega/Generico/Cabana vs. Young Bucks/Brian Kendrick-conflict, which I sorely wanted to see.

So that's kind of it. I'm going to give them another try some day.

User avatar
fm20000
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by fm20000 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:04 am

syxxpakk wrote:
fm20000 wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:I've always had trouble getting into PWG.
Why? Their shows are all amazing. Last year quality wise they matched or were better than ROH.
I doubt it, honestly. While I understand that they produce some high-quality matches, from the PWG DVDs I purchased (Guerre Sans Frontieres - Battle of Los Angeles 2009 Night 2), I found a severe lack of quality storylines. From discussions I've had with others, it appears there are rarely any storylines to be heard of (the most common answers I was given were the Hero/Tornado-feud, Steen/Super Dragon-feud, and these days Steen/Young Bucks).

The DVDs I watched I was pretty hopeful for. It seemed there was a storyline building with Danielson winning the belt and then vacating it. At the very least crowning a new champion in a promotion's major tournament should be suitable for content for good storytelling. At best, it was OK and it seemed like they were just trying to match up the best possible opponents. Which is fine, if that's your thing.

The ending of the entire tournament was my favorite part. I knew a little about the Generico/Omega/Taylor-shenanigans through YouTube videos - so watching Generico, Cabana, and Omega fend off the Young Bucks and Brian Kendrick was pretty cool and seemed to set the stage for a good top-of-the-card program.

Except it didn't happen. I immediately checked the line-up for the next show (Kurt Russellreunion) and Kenny Omega wasn't present, and the Young Bucks were fighting Brian Kendrick. Omega would be at the next show, defending against Davey Richards. So it was like there was no follow-up to the Omega/Generico/Cabana vs. Young Bucks/Brian Kendrick-conflict, which I sorely wanted to see.

So that's kind of it. I'm going to give them another try some day.
I can understand where you're coming from but can you honestly tell me any great storylines that ROH had last year either? Steen vs ROH/Corino, Davey/Eddie/Roddy, WGTT vs Briscoes, ANX vs Briscoes and Bennett/Lethal/Generico? I might be missing some but those are the only ones I can think of with any build and even those had little or a bad build most of the time. PWG on the other hand is more about rivalries than feuds. Last year had Tozawa/Hero, Taylor Boys/Kenny King, Willie Mack/Hero, and Ricochet/Chucky T. But they had feuds like Steen/Genrico and Steen/Young Bucks. The rivalries are more along the lines of the guys facing a couple of times and trying to best each other which yes aren't real storylines but they work for great matches in PWG. It comes down to if it interests you or not. Right now I'm a lot more interested in PWG than I am ROH because I know I'm going to get a great show with what they have lined up. They bring guys in whatever guys are available and whoever the crowd wants to see.

syxxpakk
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 am

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:53 am

fm20000 wrote:I can understand where you're coming from but can you honestly tell me any great storylines that ROH had last year either? Steen vs ROH/Corino, Davey/Eddie/Roddy, WGTT vs Briscoes, ANX vs Briscoes and Bennett/Lethal/Generico? I might be missing some but those are the only ones I can think of with any build and even those had little or a bad build most of the time.
The beginning of the year had WGTT trying to prove they belong, Roddy's "Three Challengers" (Homicide/Jay/Daniels), Eddie/Daniels, and Generico/HOT come to mind. And I grant you not all are "Great." That's true and fair. Steen vs. ROH is great, Eddie vs. Davey is great, Briscoes vs. ANX is great. A lot of them are just good. Very few are less than that, IMO.
PWG on the other hand is more about rivalries than feuds. Last year had Tozawa/Hero, Taylor Boys/Kenny King, Willie Mack/Hero, and Ricochet/Chucky T. But they had feuds like Steen/Genrico and Steen/Young Bucks. The rivalries are more along the lines of the guys facing a couple of times and trying to best each other which yes aren't real storylines but they work for great matches in PWG. It comes down to if it interests you or not. Right now I'm a lot more interested in PWG than I am ROH because I know I'm going to get a great show with what they have lined up. They bring guys in whatever guys are available and whoever the crowd wants to see.
I respect that. If that's your thing, then far be it from me to tell you otherwise! Like I said, I'm going to give it another go - but the previous just haven't been able to absorb me. I know a lot of people speak highly of the quality of matches, which is something I won't deny. The actual in-ring content on the shows I watched was pretty high. It's just like I said, I personally need more than just in-ring content.

User avatar
JSWO
Banned
Banned
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by JSWO » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I've watched pro wrestling now for 21 years, I've always thought rivalries were feuds. What on Earth does the phrase "PWG on the other hand is more about rivalries than feuds" even mean? PWG is just an indy that tries to be great but hits a ceiling because so few of their matches serve any purpose. The comedy on commentary is also a major deterrence to watching the product. Poop jokes and haha's limit the ability of the viewer to take what they're seeing seriously. They also are not on level with ROH because they stay in one venue. If they travelled and marketed themselves better they'd be in the argument.
Admin note: User permanently banned.

syxxpakk
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 am

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by syxxpakk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Copy and paste from another thread on this forum:
syxxpakk wrote:Here's my thing: a rivalry and a feud are not the same thing. A rivalry is competitive - two guys or teams are in a constant series of bouts trying to prove they are better than the other. Example: Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat. They didn't really hate each other. They might not have been best friends, but there was no real animosity between the two.

A feud, however, hinges on hatred. For whatever reason, the two guys or teams involved hate one another. It can be over anything - championship gold, a beatdown with chairs involved, etc. Example: Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk. Terry Funk got pissed at being brushed off by Flair and tried to break his damn neck. There was nothing competitive about it. There was hate. The result was they tried to kill each other a couple of times over.

So, to answer your question. My favorite rivalry in ROH? That's easy. Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson. It, in a lot of ways, is the definitive ROH rivalry (although others would probably say Joe vs. Punk is).

My favorite feud? Also very easy. El Generico vs. Kevin Steen. That's not just my favorite ROH feud, that's one of wrestling's all-time great feuds.

User avatar
JSWO
Banned
Banned
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by JSWO » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:31 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Here's my thing: a rivalry and a feud are not the same thing. A rivalry is competitive - two guys or teams are in a constant series of bouts trying to prove they are better than the other. Example: Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat. They didn't really hate each other. They might not have been best friends, but there was no real animosity between the two.
Flair turning on Steamboat back in the day during a tag match set off their "competitive rivalry." It's still a feud. They did hate each other. There were promos from Flair lambasting Steamboat's family motives when he could have been chasing tale and vice versa with Steamboat ripping Flair for being a womanizer and poser. A feud is defined as "a bitter, continuous hostility, especially between two families, clans, etc., often lasting for many years or generations" A rivalry is defined as "a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority" not much difference there.
syxxpakk wrote:A feud, however, hinges on hatred. For whatever reason, the two guys or teams involved hate one another. It can be over anything - championship gold, a beatdown with chairs involved, etc. Example: Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk. Terry Funk got pissed at being brushed off by Flair and tried to break his damn neck. There was nothing competitive about it. There was hate. The result was they tried to kill each other a couple of times over.
A feud can be based on competition as is the case in Evolve or ROH. A rivalry can also be based on a form of hate, jealousy. It's all the same and boils down to semantics.
syxxpakk wrote:So, to answer your question. My favorite rivalry in ROH? That's easy. Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson. It, in a lot of ways, is the definitive ROH rivalry (although others would probably say Joe vs. Punk is).

My favorite feud? Also very easy. El Generico vs. Kevin Steen. That's not just my favorite ROH feud, that's one of wrestling's all-time great feuds.
[/quote]


Danielson and McGuinness was based on competition but the promos spoke to a bitter hatred between the two over who was better. McGuinness calling Danielson a clam digger wasn't exactly based on trying to out do Bryan. Again it's all semantics.
Admin note: User permanently banned.

syxxpakk
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 am

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by syxxpakk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:42 pm

I disagree and believe you're mistaken on most of that.

You can re-read my original post for why.

User avatar
JSWO
Banned
Banned
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by JSWO » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I disagree and believe you're mistaken on most of that.

You can re-read my original post for why.

We're gonna have to disagree on that issue then. Feuds and rivalries are the exact same thing just a shade of difference to each.
Admin note: User permanently banned.

User avatar
cviens
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 am
Location: Morrisville, NC

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by cviens » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 am

I loved Steen Wolf, good stuff all the way through. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up Fear soon as that preview has me excited for it.
Image

User avatar
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:18 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Contact:

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by ROHWorld_Steven » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 am

Just watched the video. Why aren't dirtsheets moaning about PWG doing unprotected chairshots?
Image

User avatar
cviens
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 am
Location: Morrisville, NC

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by cviens » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 am

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:Just watched the video. Why aren't dirtsheets moaning about PWG doing unprotected chairshots?
Because they probably don't watch PWG... :lol:
Image

User avatar
JSWO
Banned
Banned
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by JSWO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:16 pm

cviens wrote:
ROHWorld_Steven wrote:Just watched the video. Why aren't dirtsheets moaning about PWG doing unprotected chairshots?
Because they probably don't watch PWG... :lol:

Bingo. Cviens is on fire today with accuracy. That and PWG is a vanity promotion where everything is perfect so chairshots to the brain are ok.
Admin note: User permanently banned.

User avatar
WrestlingMatters
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: England

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by WrestlingMatters » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm

cviens wrote:I loved Steen Wolf, good stuff all the way through. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up Fear soon as that preview has me excited for it.
Fear looks great, just like most of the recent PWG shows.

User avatar
TelkEvolon
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:15 am

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by TelkEvolon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:35 am

syxxpakk wrote:I've always had trouble getting into PWG.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest