The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's the card for PWG's first show of 2017:

Only Kings Understand Each Other
Reseda, California 2/18/17

- PWG World Title - Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Chuck Taylor
- Six-Man Tag - Mount Rushmore (Adam Cole & PWG World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks) vs. OI4K (Sami Callihan, Dave Crist, & Jake Crist)
- Cody R. vs. Trevor Lee
- Jeff Cobb & Matt Riddle vs. The Unbreakable F'N Machines (Brian Cage & "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin)
- Fenix vs. Trent?
- Marty Scurll vs. Jay White
- Ricochet vs. Lio Rush
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I thought one of the Crist Brothers retired. Is he back?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I thought one of the Crist Brothers retired. Is he back?
I guess so....
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Here's my thoughts on this card.

Lio Rush vs. Ricochet:
HOLY SHIT. THIS MATCH. I'm so excited for this. Lio has campaigned to be in PWG for a while now so I'm really glad to see him get a shot. And I have no doubt he'll totally kill it against Ricochet. This will have lots of flips, kicks, dives, and it'll be sweet. As an aside, I'm also glad to see Lio in PWG for another reason. I can see Lio picking up the handle of the token PWG High Flying guy. Ricochet has NJPW commitments, I don't know what Sydal is doing now, Ospreay is NJPW and Euro and I hate ACH. I hope this becomes a regular gig for him. Lio deserves it.

Jay White vs. Marty Scurll:
WOW! 2 debuts off the bat! Like others have pointed out, White vs. Scurll got praise in RevPro. These guys are gonna be working extra hard here, with Jay working to impress Reseda and Scurll wanting to rebound after losing against ZSJ. I can see this being a sneaky MoTN if not second or third best.

Rey Fenix vs. Trent?:
Wow! Fenix working a non-BOLA PWG show! Lol. This is gonna be a crazy match. Fenix is as gifted of a high flyer as they come and Trent? is no slouch. And as WK11 showed, Trent? doesn't care about taking crazy risks. This is gonna be another great match with high-flying and awesome bumps.

Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb vs. Unbreakable FN Machines (Michael Elgin and Brian Cage):
HOLY STACKED MATCHUP! I love everything about this match. Jeff and Elgin will hoss the shit out of each other and it'll rock and ditto with Jeff and Cage. And the Riddle/Elgin and Riddle/Cage interactions are sure to be fun too. As a side note, I'm really conflicted by the Cobb/Riddle team. On the one hand, this team is fucking awesome. Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb, two legit fighters teaming up to wreck shit? FUCK YEAH! But on the other hand, these two being a team means that we won't see Riddle or Cobb challenging for the World title. But I guess with what PWG's main event scene is, what better way to use Cobb and Riddle as a shitkicking Tag Team?

Cody Rhodes vs. Trevor Lee:
I'll just say it. Cody Rhodes is my guilty indy pleasure. Is he what the hype made him out to be? Nope. But I enjoy his matches. They're simple, they're fun, and they're usually pretty good. He's not setting the world on fire, but he's having consistent good-to-great matches. Trevor vs. Cody was a match I had pegged to happen at BOLA so I'm glad it's happening here. This is a match I've weirdly wanted to see since Cody left. I expect this to be another enjoyable Cody Rhodes match. And I can't ask for more than that.

OI4K (Jake Crist, Dave Crist, Sami Callihan) vs. Superkliq (Young Bucks, Adam Cole):
Wrestling Twitter seemed pretty divided about this one. A lot seem to really dislike OI4K. I can't say since I haven't seen them before (But Callihan and his space cat bullshit pisses me off-hopefully OI4K coming in gets rid of that), but I can say this. I see this being a wild, typical PWG style 6-Man tag with crazy spots. And since OI4K seem to do the brawl style, I hope this just descends into a crazy street fight with weapons and brawling all over the Legion Hall. If that's what I get I'll chalk up OI4K's debut as a rousing success.

PWG World Title: Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Chuck Taylor:
This is it. ZSJ vs. Big Dust. I've called for this match since Taylor's Goldberg-esque win streak started getting noticed, and now it's here. I expect comedy early, because it's Chuckie T and comedy is his forte. But when the time comes, this will become a really damn good wrestling match. I currently think ZSJ retains to cement a heel turn. But if Chuck DOES actually win, it may be the biggest reaction in PWG history. The very Legion Hall would shake with joy.

Overall, PWG is starting 2017 off right. 3 big debuts in Lio Rush, Jay White and OI4K, the continuation of the Cobb/Riddle team, the PWG returns of Rey Fenix and Cody Rhodes, and a big-time PWG Title match. This show has potential to be the best one of 2017, and one of the best of the last few years. Cannot wait for Feb. 18th!

Side Notes:
-Show names that aren't dead Celebrities or established names! Fuck yeah! One of the little things that I've missed. The last one was back in April 2015, with Don't Sweat The Technique.
-PWG is seemingly looking to get a DDT4 this year and I'd love that. Cobb/Riddle, Unbreakable FN Machines, OI4K, maybe Cody/Cole, maybe War Machine, ect, the Tag Division is starting to look darn good.
-The next debuts I want to see are Keith Lee and Jason Kincaid.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I agree that Rush v Ricochet and White v Scurll sound awesome and I'm really looking forward to the main event.

In a vacuum, I am enjoying Elgin & Cage against Cobb & Riddle, but as few shows as PWG do, it kind of drives me nuts when the Bucks are available and aren't defending the belts, and this will be the second show in a row. Maybe with Cole presumed to be WWE bound soon, they don't want to put him over anyone but can't job him since he has the ROH belt and so they are back to doing six mans until Cole drops the belt again. But I think I'd have preferred a straight Bucks versus Cobb & Riddle title match, then put the Crists against Elgin & Cage and add Sami and Cole to the Cody versus Lee match and make it a four way. I think whatever you'd lose from Elgin & Cage having a less awesome match you'd gain from having a better Bucks match and a better Cody match.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Feb 18 might have to be my first trip to Reseda to mark another one off my bucket list.

That card is effing stacked.
King of Indy Style

Ricochet confirmed a PWG Show for March 18th. Possibly Chuckie's first title defense?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPyPNA1g2r6 ... chet&hl=en
Brada

Post by Brada »

Has anyone here on the forum been to a PWG show? I read online that it is a tough ticket to get. I was thinking about flying out and checking out the next show if I could get my hands on a ticket...
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

First Mystery Vortex IV DVD review I've found. The live reports were mostly harsh, this review is a lot more positive overall, particularly towards the Dunne / Sydal and especially the DBE / RD tag match. Sabre / Scurll gets a mixed review.

http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2017/02/11/ ... ain-event/
King of Indy Style

Only one day from Only Kings Understand Each Other, PWG is announcing a show less than a month away!!

https://twitter.com/OfficialPWG/status/ ... 2575397888

Also, Results from Only Kings Understand Each Other!

Trevor Lee def. Cody Rhodes via Small Package Driver
Trent? def. Rey Fenix
Chosen Bros (Jeff Cobb and Matt Riddle) def. Unbreakable FN Machines (Brian Cage and Michael Elgin)
Ricochet def. Lio Rush
Marty Scurll def. Jay White
Superkliq def. Sami Callihan and Oi4K in a 6 Man Tornado Tag Match
Zack Sabre, Jr. def. Chuck Taylor to retain the PWG World Title

After the match, Marty attacked Chuck, and Zack attacked Chuck as well, turning heel. Trent? Made the save!
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

Cole vs Callihan isn't exactly the freshest match they could of booked (I was hoping for Cole vs Riddle), but maybe there's a reason they booked this match.. Callihans last PWG match before going to WWE in 2013 was against Cole. Coles last PWG match before going to WWE will be this match against Callihan?

just a theory
Brada

Post by Brada »

What happened with Trevor Lee and Cody?? I hear that Lee made some Dusty comments that pissed Cody off enough that caused legit heat??
Brada

Post by Brada »

triple threat tag title match next month will be sick....spot fest galore in that one.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

@OfficialPWG Feb 27
Game Over, Man takes place on April 21st!
@OfficialPWG Mar 6
Dick Togo makes his PWG return to face Zack Sabre, Jr. in a Non-Title Match on April 21st!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

So...anyone think The Young Bucks are dropping the titles tonight?
King of Indy Style

Nope. I believe that the Bucks retain, and then they drop 'em to Chosen Bros. on an upcoming show.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Nope. I believe that the Bucks retain, and then they drop 'em to Chosen Bros. on an upcoming show.
What do you think of the card tonight, man?
King of Indy Style

2 for 2 in terms of really great looking cards, if you ask me. The main event is gonna be a crazy goddamn flip filled spotfest, and probably worth the price of the DVD alone. I could legit see it getting a full 5 stars. I kinda wish that LDRS/Best Friends was Guerrilla Warfare, but it could easily just kinda devolve into one like the Chuck/TRENT? match at THIRTEEN. Besides those, I'm totally into the debuts of Strickland and Xavier, and I've been begging for Keith Lee ever since he first popped up in ROH, so I'm so, so, glad to see him get his chance down there, because I see him getting super crazy over like Cobb did after only one match.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Yeah dude. The main event is going to be fucking insane. When you get the DVD post your review. I look foward to it.