The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
watadam20

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by watadam20 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I've heard some people say that they think Kyle O'Reilly has even surpassed Davey Richards.
Oh without doubt. In my opinion current Kyle O'Reilly has far surpassed any incarnation of Davey Richards.
Last edited by watadam20 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

This show looks to be another great one!
Tim

Post by Tim »

watadam20 wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I've heard some people say that they think Kyle O'Reilly has even surpassed Davey Richards.
Oh without doubt. In my opinion current Kyle O'Reilly had far surpassed any incarnation of Davey Richards.
Definitely, in fact you could make a case that comparisons to Danielson are more appropriate then comparisons to Davey.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Just watched the "Sold our Soul..." preview again. AR Fox's neck is made of rubber.
letnar83

Post by letnar83 »

Sold Our Soul seems f'n epic. Anyone have an official dvd copy from PWG of the 2011 event, Fear? If anyone does have, i'll make you a generous offer for that dvd to be in my collection.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

I have PWG's Fear of a Black Planet.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

FEAR is such a great show, it was the first PWG show I ever bought and I haven't stopped since then.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The first half of Sold our Soul was decent, but the second was incredible, probally PWG show of the year thus far. I have to rewatch it when it comes out on DVD but live I thought ACH/Ricochet was the PWG match of the year to this point(I think Riochet is winning BOLA this year by the way), they didn't work all spot happy and told a great story of "can you top this?".

As for Eleven I think any match but Rocky/Ciampa and Kendick/Kazarian could be match of the night... even with Hero being as disapointing as he's been I think he and Kyle's styles will mesh real well. I think this has the potential to be a Seven/Steenwolf/BOLA 2013 night 2 type show.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Tim wrote:
watadam20 wrote:
Oh without doubt. In my opinion current Kyle O'Reilly had far surpassed any incarnation of Davey Richards.
Definitely, in fact you could make a case that comparisons to Danielson are more appropriate then comparisons to Davey.
I think he has the best characteristics of Davey and generally shuns what Davey did badly. He certainly does bring a lot of resemblance to 2006-era Danielson, with his counters and whatnot. If anything, he's a shitload more consistent than Davey could have ever hoped to have been.
JSP

Post by JSP »

watadam20 wrote:Think the card for ELEVEN looks really good. The triple threat #1 contendership looks like it could be a lot of fun and I'm a huge fan of the Candice/Joey tag team so it'll be great to see them and the Bucks in a GW match. The Bucks are just constantly phenomenal so that should be a great match.

With Kaz on the card it makes me wonder if we'll see Daniels in any time. If so I wouldn't mind seeing Candice/Joey winning the belts and then transitioning them to Bad Influence in due course. Steen/Lee should be hellishly fun too.

Not particularly sold on the main event but O'Reilly has gone from being (in my opinion) one of the most overrated wrestlers and v2.0 Davey Richards (a less good version too which, when you consider I'm far from a Davey fan, is somewhat of an indictment) to being one of my favourites on the indies in the span of about 2 and a half years so maybe he can bring a good match out of Hero (who seems to have completely lost his touch in his time away).
I'm sorry dude, but Bad Influence winning the PWG belts would be enormously retarded.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Why? They're a fantastic tag team who are really hot returning to the indies, will likely become PWG regulars and will provide a load to really fresh matches as champs.
watadam20

Post by watadam20 »

JSP wrote:
watadam20 wrote:Think the card for ELEVEN looks really good. The triple threat #1 contendership looks like it could be a lot of fun and I'm a huge fan of the Candice/Joey tag team so it'll be great to see them and the Bucks in a GW match. The Bucks are just constantly phenomenal so that should be a great match.

With Kaz on the card it makes me wonder if we'll see Daniels in any time. If so I wouldn't mind seeing Candice/Joey winning the belts and then transitioning them to Bad Influence in due course. Steen/Lee should be hellishly fun too.

Not particularly sold on the main event but O'Reilly has gone from being (in my opinion) one of the most overrated wrestlers and v2.0 Davey Richards (a less good version too which, when you consider I'm far from a Davey fan, is somewhat of an indictment) to being one of my favourites on the indies in the span of about 2 and a half years so maybe he can bring a good match out of Hero (who seems to have completely lost his touch in his time away).
I'm sorry dude, but Bad Influence winning the PWG belts would be enormously retarded.
Yeah, they've only been the consistently best tag team on the planet (my opinion, I guess) in the past couple of years bar maybe The Young Bucks. Them winning the belts in PWG would clearly be a stupid move.
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

JSP wrote:

Totally.

A tag team made up of the first PWG world champion and his Indy legend tag team partner, who work a style and have personalities that are made for PWG and have been tearing it up with high quality matches and even higher quality promos for a nationally televised company for the last couple of years, have their contracts expire and return to the indy circuit. It would be retarded to put the PWG tag titles on those guys. Good call. :roll:
Tim

Post by Tim »

If Daniels comes to PWG will he bring his working boots of just fuck around like he's always done in PWG?
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Tim wrote:If Daniels comes to PWG will he bring his working boots of just fuck around like he's always done in PWG?
I hate to say it, since I like Daniels, but he never really had any matches I remembered in PWG. I think I liked his ECWA stuff better.

And I'm pretty sure Bucks/BI already happened out there in that new socal promotion and it was okay, but not great. TJP vs. Elgin was what I remembered from that show.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Tim wrote:The first half of Sold our Soul was decent, but the second was incredible, probally PWG show of the year thus far. I have to rewatch it when it comes out on DVD but live I thought ACH/Ricochet was the PWG match of the year to this point(I think Riochet is winning BOLA this year by the way), they didn't work all spot happy and told a great story of "can you top this?".

As for Eleven I think any match but Rocky/Ciampa and Kendick/Kazarian could be match of the night... even with Hero being as disapointing as he's been I think he and Kyle's styles will mesh real well. I think this has the potential to be a Seven/Steenwolf/BOLA 2013 night 2 type show.
Ricochet has really grown on me quite a bit.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Finally watched Mystery Vortex II the other night. It was a pretty great show. Honestly don't know where all of this "PWG is on a downturn (quality wise)" talk is coming from.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Finally watched Mystery Vortex II the other night. It was a pretty great show. Honestly don't know where all of this "PWG is on a downturn (quality wise)" talk is coming from.
Just based off of reading a lot of your reviews, you're easy to please, which is probably a good thing. MVII was pretty good, the opener while a bit sloppy was awesome because you had 3 guys out there who just went 110% trying to impress not only the fans, but every person in that building.

The 3 way tag was fine, but went a bit too long and got too spotty. Brian Cage has really been good lately. Cole vs Candice wasn't a good match. The story was cool but Candice just didn't belong. Save her for tags, she thrives in that role. Gargano/O'Reilly was awesome, expected.

PWG has been on a bit of a downturn since BOLA 13 N2 IMO. I think the major problem is that they don't give the wrestlers restrictions when it comes to time. Like, no match IMO other than a title match or a huge feud/grudge match should go 20+. In PWG that 3 way tag went super long. Same with AAW vs ICMG from DDT4. The matches go so long and there are so many unrealistic near falls, that by time the pin actually happens, it's just like OK. After they kick out of everything, nothing is believable and it hurts the match IMO.

Agree that Trevor Lee needs to be fucking signed ASAP. He could step into the ACH role for now, and boost ACH up to a higher role.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, it's not a bad thing, in fact it's probably a good thing for you, as you just get more enjoyment out of wrestling than most, but you do seem to rate higher than most for most matches (apart from Mr. *************).
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

Any ETA on when Sold Our Souls... will be released?

As for Mystery Vortex II:

Overall, good show. From what I've seen in PWG (granted, still catching up on old shows as I come across them), even at their worst, I'm entertained. At their best, they're fantastic.

Match of the night goes to Gargano/O'Reilly, easily.

I agree about the three-way match. It was a bit of a mess at first, but once they clicked, it was really good.