The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Tim

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by Tim »

ROHFan25 wrote:Gotta agree with supersonic on this one, IMO PWG has sucked for about the last year or so. Maybe a little bit less than that, but seriously it just hasn't been the same. You're guaranteed a great Bucks match and thats about it. The undercards have been shit and the matches that look awesome on paper just don't deliver.

I think it's partially due to the roster and partially due to the fact that some matches just get way way too much time. I forgot the show but the opener was like BBoy Willie Mack and maybe Candice vs Joey and PPRay...again could be totally wrong but the match got like 18 minutes. Very stupid.

Mystery Vortex looks fucking great though, well at least the opener. I heard Cole/Candice was awful which I expected.

AND A HUGE YES PLEASE TO GULAK. PLEASE!
PWG does not suck, although I agree about it not being as great as it was a while back. First and foremost I can not wait for O'Reilly to take the title off Cole at the next show. While Cole has had disapointing match after disapointing match as champ Kyle has been killing it for the last year: great matches with Callihan, Davey, TJP, Trent?, ACH, Elgin, the DDT4 4 way, and Gargano. Once he wins the title there is a almost gaurenteed great main event with clean finish on every show.

Hero has also been disapointing thus far, but he will never stop being booked, the fans love the guy. Other problems are Nese, Elgin, Ciampa, and Cage have very simular styles. I don't think Nese should be booked, He is athletic and crisp in the ring, but he has no charisma and no emotion in his matches.

I wouldn't mind if AR Fox stopped getting booked, ACH and Ricochet are far beyond Fox and Swann as far as in ring ability, Swann has the charisma... AR does not.

And about Mystery Vortex, there were 2 great matches: the opener and O'Reilly/Gargano (no surprise, O'Reilly always steals the fucking show). I don't know where you heard Candice/Cole was awful, it wasn't at all. It didn't quite have the drama you would expect, but it was still really good, and the fans were definatly emotionly invested.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I agree with pretty much everything you said, and I think Kyle will be taking the belt the next show. Cole's reign is due to end IMO, it's kind of fizzled out lately. And I'll never say a bad word about Swann, he's fucking amazing IMO. Couldn't agree more with AR Fox. Respect him, but hate his style of matches. He's impressive just not my cup of tea.

I honestly think Ciampa shouldn't be booked rather Nese. While Ciampa's style is different, I just don't feel like he's had any solid matches in PWG yet. Nese at least fits the PWG mold more with his flip BS for his size. IDK, I didn't mean like PWG sucked like it sucked. I meant like...it just hasn't been the same.

I do think that's going to change though with these recent additions and Gulak and maybe one more. I fucking wish SSB would come back.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I really like Ciampa, but yea, he just isn't connecting with the fans for whatever reason. I wouldn't mind if he stopped getting booked to be honest, I love the guy in ROH... but man, it just isn't the same in PWG.

The guy I miss most in PWG is Sami Callihan. Not having Sami and Moxley really hurts the indys in general. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of great guys on the indys, but those two were just different; they arn't finesse guys per say, a lot of their stuff looked like it was intended to hurt, as opposed to look cool (which made it look cool). They looked like they just wanted to fight you, I wish there were someone like that on the indys today.

That's why I want to see Gulak in PWG, he is so different. He isn't a "flips" guy. I love PWG, but I feel that too many guys have simular styles.

And by the way, out of all the guys from the opener last show, I'll bet anything Trevor Lee is the most sucessfull in PWG. I can't really put my finger on it, but in my humble opinion (which in reality dosen't mean much) he has the "it factor".
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Idk what the fuck he calls that move in the preview where he like flips Cedric over on a crossbody but it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I think Cedric will be the most successful though, he's the most polished.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Dude, Cedric looked fucking awesome at Mystery Vortex, everything he did just looked great. I would love to see both guys get in the ring with O'Reilly, both matches could be magic.

You know who would INSTANTLY get over in Reseda? Jon Silver, he is a great worker, but his crazy personality would fit so well in PWG.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

I'm really, really enjoying this Chuck Taylor/Trent? tag team. PWG crowd is helping them a lot too.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Ciampa is AWFUL in PWG. And yes, I really don't care about PWG anymore. To be honest, I'd rather watch an ROH show rather than PWG atm. I've seen N1 of ASW and it was enough for me, haven't seen N2 and I'm not planning to anytime soon. And Cole's Reign & MR are bad too. I guess the product isn't for me anymore....
MOOSE!
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I'm with you DieHard. I could never imagine myself ever preferring a ROH show over a PWG show since like 2011 but we're here. You should watch ASW N2 from what I remember it was a really great show. DDT4 was the last straw for me. AR Fox/ACH vs Swann/Ricochet was what really just made me sour on PWG. 25 minutes of pointless spots and false finishes that just became not exciting. Just kept thinking when the fuck is this going to end.

Cole's reign was good for the first half but they've killed it. Hopefully KOR wins it next show. I would stick with the product though, PWG always finds a way.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

bik100 wrote:I'm really, really enjoying this Chuck Taylor/Trent? tag team. PWG crowd is helping them a lot too.
Major part of why PWG is shit right now IMO. Why the fuck is a comedy act that should be opening the shows the #1 contenders for the tag belts. Double chokeslam as a finish, trenchcoats, I mean it's just so fucking dumb. Fuck Best Friends.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Can't argue with how receptive the crowd is to them. I'm really enjoying PPRay also.
cviens

Post by cviens »

ROHFan25 wrote:
bik100 wrote:I'm really, really enjoying this Chuck Taylor/Trent? tag team. PWG crowd is helping them a lot too.
Major part of why PWG is shit right now IMO. Why the fuck is a comedy act that should be opening the shows the #1 contenders for the tag belts. Double chokeslam as a finish, trenchcoats, I mean it's just so fucking dumb. Fuck Best Friends.
If all you're going to do is bitch and moan about the product, go elsewhere.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

All feedback is okay for sharing, nobody is in a position to say only favorable observations be shared.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

cviens wrote:
ROHFan25 wrote:
If all you're going to do is bitch and moan about the product, go elsewhere.

Lmao are you kidding me dude? Sorry that I actually call dumb shit out for being dumb. I've been a huge PWG fan for a long long time. PWG from late 2010-2013 was fucking awesome. Ever since DDT4 2013 PWG has pretty much sucked. ASW was decent and BOLAN2 was great but everything else has sucked.

Sorry that I don't mark out and fap over ***** flip matches with AR Fox/ACH and Ricochet/Swann where it's literally spot after spot with unrealistic kick out after unrealistic kickout.

If all you're going to do is suck the product off, go elsewhere.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

PWG was founded on unrealistic tag matches.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Go watch that match from DDT4 and you tell me thats what defines PWG.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

More matches announced today. Here's what the card looks like for the May 23rd PWG Show (matches announced today in bold):

- PWG World Title - Submission or Knockout Only - Adam Cole vs. Kyle O'Reilly
- Mount Rushmore (Kevin Steen & PWG World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks) vs. Andrew Everett, Cedric Alexander & Trevor Lee
- Ricochet vs. ACH
- Johnny Gargano vs. Rocky Romero
- Brian Cage vs. Roderick Strong
- Joey Ryan & Candice LaRae vs. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent?)
- Rich Swann vs. AR Fox
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

ROHFan25 wrote:Go watch that match from DDT4 and you tell me thats what defines PWG.
All I'm saying is that PWG Tag style has ALWAYS been those unrealistic ones you don't like. It's pretty much what got people into the company (along with comedy matches) back in 04/05.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It can't possibly be any worse than Bosh/Lost vs. Aerial Express or SD/Richards vs. KOW. The latter was the closest I ever came to giving up on being a wrestling fan.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

JustSkiff wrote:
ROHFan25 wrote:Go watch that match from DDT4 and you tell me thats what defines PWG.
All I'm saying is that PWG Tag style has ALWAYS been those unrealistic ones you don't like. It's pretty much what got people into the company (along with comedy matches) back in 04/05.
Nooo! Don't remind me of Topgun Talwar or Hook Bomberry.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I have to say I'm really looking forward to this May 23rd Show. The World Title Match and the Six-Man Tag look like they could be off the charts. The rest of the undercard has a lot of very unique first time matches that I'm very excited to see.