The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
Wavelet Transform

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by Wavelet Transform »

lariat_tubman wrote:I slightly hate myself for saying this but is anyone else just not into Mount Rushmore 2.0?
The group or the angle? Strong and Dragon are definitely way less over the top than Cole and Steen, so I think this version will be less charismatic/entertaining than the original were. I'm not expecting any stuff like the opening segment of Matt Rushmore, e.g. At the same time, I think Strong and Dragon give the group more potential to be an ass-kicking, destructive force, which definitely seems to be the way they're going based on that (insanely great) preview vid.

As for the angle, they're in a tough spot with the name, as 2.0 isn't the greatest name, but everyone would call it that if they, themselves, called it something else. Kind of fits with the Bucks using old/other people's stuff though. The success of it, to me, will depend on who opposes them and what the outcome is. Candace is really due some revenge after that disgusting beat down in the video. Could be a great opportunity to really cement Lee, Bailey, and Everett too.

I really hope they do a huge 8 man as a show main event too, as that seemed like a huge missed opportunity with the original group.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Finished watching Mystery Vortex 3. Another phenomenal show from top to bottom.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Finished watching Mystery Vortex III, here's my quick review:

1. Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa ***1/4
2. Monster Mafia vs. Worlds Cutest Tag Team **3/4
3. Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher ***1/2
4. Roderick Strong vs. Mike Bailey ****
5. Brian Cage vs. John Silver **3/4
6. Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. ****
7. The Young Bucks vs. Trevor Lee & Andrew Everett ***3/4

It's up to the PWG standards for sure, and an overall really good show.

Gargano/Ciampa was a good opener, the right choices to have in there to pump the crowd up for what is to come.

As stated many times, don't care much for WCTT. Monster Mafia being one of my favorite tag teams, it's sad to see Alexander go, and I'm happy he got to both ROH and PWG before he retired. I just hope PWG continues to book Page.

I've seen Busick/Thatcher have better matches against each other, and more encounters are on the way, but this was their typical brutal, back and forth, match they normally have.

Roddys tear in 2015 continues alongside Baileys rising star. Truthfully, I never thought Bailey was going to win this match, but the near falls had both me, and the crowd VERY much believing it was a possibility. Very good on the ref to not botch those near falls, as he's an integral part in making those moments.

Cage/Silver seemed like a filler match to have the crowd come down and prepare for the final 2 matches. It's a fine match, and nice to see Silver getting a rare singles opportunity.

Zack Sabre Jr. is my favorite wrestler in the world, closely followed by Strong, Nakamura, and his opponent in this match, Hero. Just the stuff Sabre Jr. came up with is just pure magic. And Hero, having a great 2015 himself, puts in another great performance. I love Sabre Jr. in America, and he deserves to be EVERYWHERE.

Lastly, the main event between Lee/Everett & The Young Bucks. To be honest, it's a good match, and yet I still had this feeling that everyone was holding back a bit. Maybe not to take away from the big formation of Mount Rushmore 2.0. Nonetheless, the match + the new stable was all done very well and I am excited to see Threemendous IV (shipping Friday BTW) and where BOLA takes us.
ryanraze

Post by ryanraze »

Wavelet Transform wrote:
lariat_tubman wrote:I slightly hate myself for saying this but is anyone else just not into Mount Rushmore 2.0?
The group or the angle? Strong and Dragon are definitely way less over the top than Cole and Steen, so I think this version will be less charismatic/entertaining than the original were. I'm not expecting any stuff like the opening segment of Matt Rushmore, e.g. At the same time, I think Strong and Dragon give the group more potential to be an ass-kicking, destructive force, which definitely seems to be the way they're going based on that (insanely great) preview vid.

As for the angle, they're in a tough spot with the name, as 2.0 isn't the greatest name, but everyone would call it that if they, themselves, called it something else. Kind of fits with the Bucks using old/other people's stuff though. The success of it, to me, will depend on who opposes them and what the outcome is. Candace is really due some revenge after that disgusting beat down in the video. Could be a great opportunity to really cement Lee, Bailey, and Everett too.

I really hope they do a huge 8 man as a show main event too, as that seemed like a huge missed opportunity with the original group.
It sort of came out of nowhere. I would like to see another stable formed to battle them.
ryanraze

Post by ryanraze »

Ladrao12 wrote:Finished watching Mystery Vortex III, here's my quick review:

1. Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa ***1/4
2. Monster Mafia vs. Worlds Cutest Tag Team **3/4
3. Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher ***1/2
4. Roderick Strong vs. Mike Bailey ****
5. Brian Cage vs. John Silver **3/4
6. Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. ****
7. The Young Bucks vs. Trevor Lee & Andrew Everett ***3/4

It's up to the PWG standards for sure, and an overall really good show.

Gargano/Ciampa was a good opener, the right choices to have in there to pump the crowd up for what is to come.

As stated many times, don't care much for WCTT. Monster Mafia being one of my favorite tag teams, it's sad to see Alexander go, and I'm happy he got to both ROH and PWG before he retired. I just hope PWG continues to book Page.

I've seen Busick/Thatcher have better matches against each other, and more encounters are on the way, but this was their typical brutal, back and forth, match they normally have.

Roddys tear in 2015 continues alongside Baileys rising star. Truthfully, I never thought Bailey was going to win this match, but the near falls had both me, and the crowd VERY much believing it was a possibility. Very good on the ref to not botch those near falls, as he's an integral part in making those moments.

Cage/Silver seemed like a filler match to have the crowd come down and prepare for the final 2 matches. It's a fine match, and nice to see Silver getting a rare singles opportunity.

Zack Sabre Jr. is my favorite wrestler in the world, closely followed by Strong, Nakamura, and his opponent in this match, Hero. Just the stuff Sabre Jr. came up with is just pure magic. And Hero, having a great 2015 himself, puts in another great performance. I love Sabre Jr. in America, and he deserves to be EVERYWHERE.

Lastly, the main event between Lee/Everett & The Young Bucks. To be honest, it's a good match, and yet I still had this feeling that everyone was holding back a bit. Maybe not to take away from the big formation of Mount Rushmore 2.0. Nonetheless, the match + the new stable was all done very well and I am excited to see Threemendous IV (shipping Friday BTW) and where BOLA takes us.
Sabre vs. Hero...good lord, what more could be said. Hero has really been doing great things since returning to the Indies. I've always been a fan, but sometimes feel he's overrated. However, I love everything he's done recently. Simply amazing stuff.
ryanraze

Post by ryanraze »

Wavelet Transform wrote:

They need to destroy people. As stated below, they need a natural faction opponent to make this version of Mt. Rushmore succeed. So, who becomes the opposing faction? Candace/Joey/Hero/Sabre? They need an excuse for Joey to turn.
ryanraze

Post by ryanraze »

Any BOLA predictions?
Tim

Post by Tim »

ryanraze wrote:Any BOLA predictions?
-I will honestly be shocked and pissed if Sabre dosen't win BOLA. He is insanely over and every one of his matches is great to a classic. I think he wins BOLA then dethrones Strong by the end of the year.

-I have heard some people picking Cage, I don't see it. I like Cage, but I don't need to see four matches in a weekend, and on top of that he get's blown up after one match, he would be crawling on all fours by the finals.

-I see Speedball, Biff, Ospreay, Trevor, and Pentagon making it deep.

-The possible match I most want to see is Speedball vs. Sabre, not sure why, but I think it would be amazing. Other possible matches I want to see are Pentagon Jr. vs Tommy End and Ospreay vs Angelico.
Wavelet Transform

BOLA Predictions:

Round 1
Aero Star vs. Brian Cage - Cage

Biff Busick vs. Andrew Everett - Busick

Mark Andrews vs. Will Ospreay - Ospreay

Drago vs. Pentagón, Jr. - Pentagon

Trent? vs. Trevor Lee - Lee

Fénix vs. "Rebourne" Matt Sydal - Fenix

Marty Scurll vs. Rich Swann

Chris Hero vs. Timothy Thatcher - Hero

Angélico vs. Jack Evans - Angelico

Tommy End vs. Drew Gulak - Gulak

"Speedball" Mike Bailey vs. Drew Galloway - Speedball

Ricochet vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. - Zack

Tough to predict beyond round 1, but Sabre seems like the most likely to win the whole thing, and Lee having an outside shot as well. Certainly seems like Sabre, Lee, Speedball, and Busick make it deep into the tournament, with the latter two possibly going out due to Rushmore shenanigans.

Is there any word on how much say AAA/LU have in the booking of their guys? That was obviously an issue last year, especially with AJ.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wavelet Transform wrote:

Definitely agree with you. PWG barely ever has storylines, so to seem them repeat the same one is a little disheartening.
guerrillakara23

Post by guerrillakara23 »

Mystery Vortex III Review
Gargano/Ciampa - ***1/4
Best match either man has had since last summer in PWG.
WCTT/Monster Mafia - ***
Really enjoyed Candice & Page in this one.
Busick/Thatcher - **3/4
Oh so short, but fun while it lasted.
Roddy/Bailey - ****1/4
Amazing.
Cage/Silver - **3/4
Went a bit too long. Nice showcase of strength and moves though.
Hero/Sabre - ****1/2
Ties and possibly exceeds Roddy/Sabre for my PWG MOTY thus far. Phenomenal match.
Everett & Lee/Bucks - ***3/4
Fun stuff.

I have a full review on my blog with more detailed thoughts, GIF's and stuff if anyone's interested. Didn't want to be a shill and come here to advertise so I just shortened things with the above review.
guerrillakara23

Post by guerrillakara23 »

Also, am I the only one seeing a heel turn for Joey coming? Or at least hoping for it? After the Guerrilla Warfare at BOLA, I have no clue what PWG plans to do with MR 2.0 until they eventually build Lee to win the title which I'm guessing will be next year as I feel he'll be the guy to put the nail in the coffin for Roddy's reign.

I had an idea of turning Joey heel and kind of letting him ride the wave of MR 2.0 so to speak. And to make use of the second top heel in the promotion in my opinion, let Ethan Page be the same. Essentially associates that do MR 2.0's dirty work. And if you want, let Joey say as a whole, he, Page, & Mount Rushmore are the new Dynasty. That way you keep Page involved, do something different Joey that actually is supposed to get him booed, and you don't overdo the Mount Rushmore story, but also don't sacrifice the hype it has as Roddy, Dragon, & Bucks are Mount Rushmore as a part of the Dynasty. Joey gets booed anyway and Page is the best character that's debuted in Reseda in a long time, I'd hate to see him not get booked anymore. Put all the bad guys together in one big group.

Thoughts?
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Joey has to turn heel eventually. Losing the titles, crowd response, and Candace dating Gargano can only speed the process along.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Really enjoyed Mystery Vortex III... until the ending. It's the overbooked crap I've come to not like from PWG. And please, no more Super Dragon. We'll keep the chants for the WWE dead space spots.

That said: Sabre-Hero was great. I can be down on Hero often, but all of my favorite matches of his are in PWG (the other two being his main events vs. Claudio -- especially when the top rope broke).

Thatcher-Busick was meh.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Hopefuly Joey turns sooner rather than later. I really like the rise of WCTT last year and their feud with Mount Rushmore, but I feel like it's kind of run it's course. Better to do the turn now rather than wait until it's too stale to have any impact.

Rather than having Joey, Page, etc join MR 2.0 I'd put them as a heel faction who thinks that they are part of MR 2.0, but the real Mount Rushmore clearly wants nothing to do with them, bullies them, etc. I'm thinking similar to how Corino thinks he's Adam Cole's best friend but Cole clearly despises him on screen, but you could obviously do more here since they would all be in-ring competitors. I also think Page and Joey have perfectly suited characters for that role.

As for who makes up the babyface faction, that's tougher. You can make some great babyface factions involving Hero, Ricochet, Gargano, Sabre, Candice, etc. but for most of the heavy hitters on that side it's kind of up in the air on their availability or likelihood to be at every show for the next few months.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I can't really see Joey turning on Candice, I imagine the team gets both of them a lot of bookings, and PWG is the biggest promotional platform they have, so splitting there would not be #bestforbussiness for them
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

just seen Threemendous, fun show. Nothing really blew my mind but nothing was really bad.

1748. The World Cutest Tag Team (Candice LeRae & Joey Ryan) vs Team Tremendous (Bill Carr & Dan Barry) – PWG Threemendous IV **3/4
1749. Brian Cage vs Johnny Gargano – PWG Threemendous IV ***
1750. Rich Swann vs Adrew Everett – PWG Threemendous IV ***1/4+
1751. Tommaso Ciampa vs Trevor Lee – PWG Threemendous IV ***1/4 - ***1/2
1752. Chris Hero vs Mike Bailey – PWG Threemendous IV ***3/4+
1753. Ricochet vs Akira Towaza – PWG Threemendous IV ****
1754. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs Angelico & Jack Evans – PWG World Tag Team Titles Match – PWG Threemendous IV ***3/4
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Wavelet Transform

A couple of new additions to BOLA:

Angélico & Jack Evans vs. Inner City Machine Guns (Rich Swann & Ricochet) on N1

Aero Star & Fénix vs. Drago & Pentaón Jr. on N2

The final tournament match is elimination rules.

All excellent additions, IMO.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Wavelet Transform wrote:A couple of new additions to BOLA:

Angélico & Jack Evans vs. Inner City Machine Guns (Rich Swann & Ricochet) on N1

Aero Star & Fénix vs. Drago & Pentaón Jr. on N2

The final tournament match is elimination rules.

All excellent additions, IMO.
Those two tag team matches were announced weeks ago, but the return of an elimination final is very good to see.

Also, Melissa Santos (from Lucha Underground), was doing the ring announcing last night. If Lucha Underground doesn't get a 2nd Season, I really hope she finds more announcing gigs, because I think she's really good.