Match of the Year Tracking Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
ROH Fan 81

Re: Match of the Year Tracking Thread

Post by ROH Fan 81 »

I was at extreme rules and don't remember sheamus/Daniel Bryan being all that memorable. Perhaps I need to rewatch it. My match of the year so far is a toss up between Elgin/Steen and Elgin/Richards. Elgins gotta be wrestler of the year. Can't wait to see how Steen/Generico comes out on everyones list.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The Two Elgin Title Matches and the Three Way Ladder Match from PWG are definitely up there in my book. I'd also put up there Hell in Cell from WrestleMania, Cena/Rock, Both Punk/Jericho WWE Title Matches, Bryan/Punk from Over the Limit, Cole & O'Reilly from BitW, A few TNA Matches possibly (once I see Destination X & BFG). That's all I got now (Don't watch Japanese Wrestling so can't comment on those)
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Jeff Hardy vs. Austin Aries at Turning Point was awesome. I'd give it ****1/4, but it was damn close to ****1/2 and would have got it if they hadn't had so many ladder breakages that effected the flow of the match.

My updated top 10:

1st - Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin - Showdown in the Sun II ****3/4
2nd - Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin - Glory By Honor XI ****3/4
3rd - CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan - Over the Limit ****3/4
4th - Undertaker vs. Triple H - Hell in a Cell - Wrestlemania XXVIII ****1/2
5th - CM Punk vs. John Cena - Night of Champions - ****1/2
6th - CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho - Chicago Street Fight - Extreme Rules ****1/2
7th - CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan - No DQ - Money in the Bank ****1/2
8th - Austin Aries vs. Jeff Hardy - Ladder - Turning Point ****1/4
9th - Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles - Sacrifice ****1/4
10th - Jay Leathal vs. Davey Richards - Glory By Honor XI ****1/4
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

Hailey Hatred & Kalamity vs Kana & LuFisto (SHIMMER Vol. 45)
Athena vs Mercedes Martinez (SHIMMER Vol. 45)
Nicole Matthews vs Athena (SHIMMER Vol. 46)
Mercedes Martinez vs Kana (SHIMMER Vol. 46)
Allysin Kay vs Mia Yim (cage match, AIW Girls Night Out 7)
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Elgin vs. Richards - so far, this and Taker/HBK at WM (the first time) stand as the greatest matches I've ever seen IMHO
Okada vs. Tanahashi
Brock vs. Cena
Punk vs. Bryan (OTL)
Lethal vs. Richards (GBH)
Elgin vs. Steen
Steen vs. Richards (BW)
Taker vs. HHH
O'Reilly vs. Cole (BITW)

I'll admit to not seeing much other than ROH and the occasional WWE. Okada vs. Tanahashi is literally the only Japanese match I've ever see but John Pollock's review lead me to Elgin/Richards and therefore ROH in general and he chose it as his 'match of the year so far' over SITSN2's candidate... I assume Richards/Lethal won't be an especially popular pick (at least relative to the main event that followed) but I enjoyed it more than Steen/Elgin - that match was obviously outstanding but the pinfalls between about the 5 and 20 minute marks totally killed the flow I thought (especially the earlier ones)...
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

reading through this thread really makes me want to see the 3 way ladder match from PWG and Sara Del Ray vs. El Generico (!?) - I've never seen anything from PWG or Chikara... kind of scared to start since I still have about 8 years of ROH I wanna watch haha... still haven't seen Steen/Generico from SITS either but there's a method to my madness behind that one - I will get there.
watadam20

Post by watadam20 »

donkitrk99 wrote:Elgin vs. Richards - so far, this and Taker/HBK at WM (the first time) stand as the greatest matches I've ever seen IMHO
Okada vs. Tanahashi
Brock vs. Cena
Punk vs. Bryan (OTL)
Elgin vs. Steen
Steen vs. Richards (BW)
Taker vs. HHH
O'Reilly vs. Cole (BITW)

I'll admit to not seeing much other than ROH and the occasional WWE. Okada vs. Tanahashi is literally the only Japanese match I've ever see but John Pollock's review lead me to Elgin/Richards and therefore ROH in general and he chose it as his 'match of the year so far' over SITSN2's candidate... I assume Richards/Lethal won't be an especially popular pick (at least relative to the main event that followed) but I enjoyed it more than Steen/Elgin - that match was obviously outstanding but the pinfalls between about the 5 and 20 minute marks totally killed the flow I thought (especially the earlier ones)...
Regarding the Lethal/Richards match, I know everything is based on opinions and maybe it's just because I'm not a huge fan of either guy but I found that match to be very average. Really don't understand the love it gets - not just here but on other forums too. I guess that's just wrestling though.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

donkitrk99 wrote:reading through this thread really makes me want to see the 3 way ladder match from PWG and Sara Del Ray vs. El Generico (!?) - I've never seen anything from PWG or Chikara... kind of scared to start since I still have about 8 years of ROH I wanna watch haha... still haven't seen Steen/Generico from SITS either but there's a method to my madness behind that one - I will get there.
Follow as many promotions as possible. The old stuff will always be there for you to watch later. But it's always good to stay recent with as many promotions as you can.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

SteenMark23 wrote:
donkitrk99 wrote:reading through this thread really makes me want to see the 3 way ladder match from PWG and Sara Del Ray vs. El Generico (!?) - I've never seen anything from PWG or Chikara... kind of scared to start since I still have about 8 years of ROH I wanna watch haha... still haven't seen Steen/Generico from SITS either but there's a method to my madness behind that one - I will get there.
Follow as many promotions as possible. The old stuff will always be there for you to watch later. But it's always good to stay recent with as many promotions as you can.
Sounds expensive haha
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

donkitrk99 wrote:
SteenMark23 wrote:
Sounds expensive haha
lol well follow as much as your wallet allows you to.
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

Sounds time-consuming too.

And, to how many shows per month can somebody give attention?

(By the way: Isn't a show new when you see it for the first time?)
Last edited by Duke of Bridgewater on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Updated List:
Elgin vs. Richards
Bucks vs. SSB vs. FutureShock
Okada vs. Tanahashi
Brock vs. Cena
Punk vs. Bryan (OTL)
Elgin vs. Steen
Steen vs. Richards (BW)
Taker vs. HHH
Davey/O'Reilly vs. Eddie/Cole
Del Rey vs. El Generico
O'Reilly vs. Cole (BITW)
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Final Battle 2012

American Wolves vs Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly **** 1/4

Kevin Steen vs El Generico Ladder War IV **** 1/2
boourns

Post by boourns »

That 6-man that just happened was pretty awesome. All the new guys came off looking great. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

Shield vs Ryback/Hell No definitely in the conversation. Upstaged Generico and Steen IMO.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

donkitrk99 wrote:Updated List:
Elgin vs. Richards
Okada vs. Tanahashi
Brock vs. Cena
Punk vs. Bryan (OTL)
Elgin vs. Steen
Steen vs. Richards (BW)
Taker vs. HHH
Del Rey vs. El Generico
O'Reilly vs. Cole (BITW)
I think I'd put the 6 man from last night definitely after brock and cena and definitely before taker vs. hhh... somewhere in there
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Updated List:
Elgin vs. Richards
Okada vs. Tanahashi
Brock vs. Cena
Punk vs. Bryan (OTL)
The Shield vs. Bryan, Kane, Ryback
Elgin vs. Steen
Steen vs. Richards (BW)
Taker vs. HHH
Kevin Steen vs. El Generico (FB12)
Del Rey vs. El Generico
O'Reilly vs. Cole (BITW)
watadam20

Post by watadam20 »

My updated list, was kinda hoping Steen/Generico was going to be MOTY, need to rewatch Final Battle though before I give it a definite position:

1) The Undertaker vs. Triple H, Hell in a Cell (Special Guest Referee: Shawn Michaels) – Wrestlemania XXVIII
2) Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin, ROH World Championship – Glory By Honor XI
3) Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin, ROH World Championship – Showdown in the Sun – Night Two
4) Super Smash Bros. (Player Uno and Player Dos) vs. Future Shock (Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson), PWG World Tag Team Championships, Ladder Match – Threemendous III
5) Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan, World Heavyweight Championship, Best 2 out of 3 Falls – Extreme Rules
6) Ryback and Team Hell No (Daniel Bryan and Kane) vs. The Shield (Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins), TLC Match - TLC
7) Bobby Roode vs. James Storm, Street Fight – Bound For Glory
8) Kevin Steen vs. Davey Richards, ROH World Championship, Anything Goes – Best in the World
9) Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, No Disqualification – Extreme Rules
10) Kevin Steen vs. El Generico, ROH World Championship, Ladder War IV – Final Battle 2012
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

fm20000 wrote:Shield vs Ryback/Hell No definitely in the conversation. Upstaged Generico and Steen IMO.
Really? I didn't see TLC, but I can't imagine this match upstaged Ladder War. No offense to Danielson and Moxley.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

**** The Shield vs. Ryback/Kane/Bryan
**** Steen vs. Generico