IMPACT Wrestling Official Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
JTCole

Re: The TNA Thread

Post by JTCole »

I'll give Anthem a year before they're sick of losing millions and try to dump TNA.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

JTCole wrote:I'll give Anthem a year before they're sick of losing millions and try to dump TNA.
I'm not too sure.

They were already a minority owner before they bought the majority, so you have to figure they knew what they were getting into.

They've made some cost cutting moves and done some other things that should help:
-paying talent per taping rather than per episode
-getting another paying TV deal in the UK
-actually moving some merch via Don West
-reducing talent costs by booking guys from other promotions (Crash, Noah, AAA, etc)

They're probably still going to lose money until they find a paying TV deal in the US but I don't think Anthem is going to give up so quickly. They really seem to want Fight Network to do well so unless/until they give up on that I would assume Impact will be around.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Jeff Jarrett is a huckster. I am convinced TNA will survive a nuclear holocaust along with cockroaches and a few survivors. Jarrett will continue to promote TNA with himself as the sole face and heel. In a pathetic version of Edward Norton's character in Fight Club he will wrestle himself.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Jeff Jarrett is a huckster. I am convinced TNA will survive a nuclear holocaust along with cockroaches and a few survivors. Jarrett will continue to promote TNA with himself as the sole face and heel. In a pathetic version of Edward Norton's character in Fight Club he will wrestle himself.
I'd pay to watch him wrestle a children's martial arts class like he did when he was feuding with Angle.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm salivating at uncontrollable levels for all the TNA events in Orlando to capitalize on the industry's Super Bowl this weekend.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

Post by TNAmarkFrmIndia »

Notes from the Wrestling Observer regarding Impact/CRASH/AAA:
THE CRASH: The company ran its big show on 3/25 at the Auditorio in Tijuana. So among the things that didn’t happen was the announcement of a 4/15 joint PPV with TNA (this was to be a taped One Night Only show). Originally Jeremy Borash was to be there to announce the show, and Borash was there but the announcement didn’t happen. Because of what we were told were major logistical issues with doing a PPV from the Auditorio, the plan has changed to where Impact may tape matches for Xplosion from Tijuana, although even that isn’t definite. The big issue appears to be insurance issues for the production crew in regard to Mexico and Impact’s insurance doesn’t cover it. The idea is they want a different look and Tijuana always has a hot crowd, and it makes the company seem like a national brand if their wrestlers are getting big reactions outside the U.S. The show drew a sellout of 4,000 fans with a main event of Young Bucks over Daga & Rey Mysterio Jr. when they pinned Daga after a Meltzer driver. This seemed to set up Bucks vs. Rey Fenix & Penta 0M (who weren’t there since they were working in Peru this weekend, which they are hoping to get to headline a May show, which the Bucks are confirmed for but it depends on schedules with Penta & Fenix in so much demand right now). There was scheduled to be a match with Garza Jr. & Sami Callihan vs. Bobby Lashley & Black Taurus, which would build to a Lashley vs. Garza Impact title match. The day before the show, Karen Jarrett cut a taped heel promo saying that Impact wasn’t sending Lashley to the show, and would be sending James Storm instead and that Garza needed to beat Storm if he wanted a title shot. There was a reason Lashley couldn’t appear so this was a way to work a storyline around it. Konnan came out before the match started and said that if Garza beat Storm, that Impact would have to either give Garza a shot at Lashley’s title, or the Crash alliance with Impact would be off. Now, the plan is to feud the two companies so the alliance being off may not be a business break but a continuation of the business but with the public idea that they are feuding so the Impact guys would be heels sent by the Jarretts (who have always been heels in Mexico and used to get great heat). So you probably have the finish of the match figured out. And you’d be wrong, as it was Callihan pinning Taurus. Garza and Storm teased the idea of doing a singles match after when Bestia 666 & Damian 666 & Nicho attacked both of them.

The Crash show on 4/9 in Monterrey has Garza Jr. & Penta 0M & Mysterio Jr. vs. Bestia 666 & Damian 666 & Nicho on top, plus Rey Fenix & Daga vs. DJZ & Sammy Guevara and Zorro vs. Ultimo Ninja vs. X-Fly vs. Divo. AAA is running a show in the city the same night and tried to get talent from Impact. Apparently, in trying to stay neutral in the war, Impact has told Crash they won’t send AAA talent for shows that go head-to-head with Crash.

Crash had a show scheduled on 3/22 in San Luis Potosi. The wrestlers got to the arena and fans were waiting but the local government had locked the building up. The Lucha Libre commission in San Luis Potosi, which also promotes AAA in the city, somehow managed to get the show shut down at the last minute without letting anyone know. They are also talking with indie promoters in the U.S. as far as possibly running joint shows.

Impact: One of the ideas Anthem has is to produce wrestling content in India, Mexico, the U.K. and the U.S. and try and distribute it around the world. Tickets for the tapings go on sale on 4/7. Probably more Impact talent would be used down the line but the core will be the U.K. contracted wrestlers. A key is that all contracted wrestlers will be allowed to do house shows for any promotion they want to work for in the U.K., but they can’t air on television. That may be where Drew Galloway, who to me would be my first pick to be the top star, may fall through since he’s strongly affiliated with Five Star which is supposed to be doing regular weekly television of its tournament although nothing has been heard from that group since it’s first live TV show.

The working idea if everything falls into place would be for Jarrett and Anthem to be in charge of Impact in the U.S., the India television show on Sony Six, the WOS TV show on ITV, and an English language AAA television show for the U.S. market, which would be tricky because most of the top AAA guys couldn’t even appear on the show due to the Lucha Underground deal. The AAA show is the only deal that hasn’t been announced yet.

Part of the battle plan with the working relationships is to start airing footage of all the contracted wrestlers matches when they work in Japan, Mexico or the U.K. is to air the footage either online or on Xplosion.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

The politics behind this are just staggering
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

cgstong wrote:The politics behind this are just staggering
Which is why it will crash and burn spectacularly.

Vince McMahon was right then and right today, wrestling promoters might hate him but they hate each other just as much.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

More people return to Jeff Jarrett's Impact:
Sonjay Dutt is back on board full-time with Impact Wrestling as a Producer and part of Jeff Jarrett's inner circle.  Dutt had several tryouts with WWE as a Producer and Guest Coach at the WWE Performance Center in recent months and also had an offer on the table from Ring of Honor as a wrestler.  While Dutt was offered a full-time WWE job, we are told that at the end of the day, it would have required him to uproot his family and move them to Florida and Dutt eventually decided to turn that down, not wanting to move his daughters and require his wife to give up her job as well.  So, he's signed on with Impact.  More than one Impact wrestler we've spoken to has been overjoyed at the news, feeling Dutt will bring a modern viewpoint to creative plans.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

Alberto El Patron surprised the wrestling world last month when he made his Impact Wrestling debut and confronted world champion Bobby Lashley. It was a winding road to get the man formerly known as Alberto Del Rio to Impact Wrestling.

After his first stint in WWE ended in 2014 when he got into a confrontation with a company social media worker who made racist comments towards him started talks with Impact. Both parties were negotiating but could never reach an agreement. El Patron surprised wrestling fans when he returned to the WWE in Oct. 2015 when he won the United States Title against John Cena. The former WWE champion left the company in the fall of 2016 and talks restarted again with Impact.

Talks went better the second time around and El Patron agreed to come into the company. But, the Mexican star didn't sign a contract immediately as they shook hands and did a gentleman's agreement. A contract is coming but he trusted the original owner of Impact, Jeff Jarrett enough that a handshake was all he needed for the time being.

"They first approached me about three years ago when WWE fired me for that stupid incident with that racist worker," El Patron told Fightful. "They first approached me back then. We went back and forth to the point where I said no several times. And then they came with the right offer for everything I needed. But when they did that, I was already signed to go back to WWE. I did it. And everybody knows I left the company because I wasn’t happy. Since I left, the negotiations restarted. All I said is, ‘Ok guys, I really want to go and have fun with you but I’m at a stage of my life where I only do things that make me happy. I’m blessed that I saved my money and I did the right things and invested it well. I’m not saying I’m a multi-millionaire or anything like that, I can give me the luxury of deciding where I’m going to work. If the place that wants me is not offering me something that makes sense to me money wise and most importantly, bring joy to my life, I just don’t go. I like your workers. It’s a place I would love to go, rebuild it and make it a good and enjoyable product but you need to pay. I have been doing this my entire life. But everywhere I go, I pack the place. If you have Alberto El Patron on your show or Alberto El Presidente from Combate Americas, you know the arena is going to be packed There hasn’t been one arena I haven’t packed since I started doing indies’. Jeff Jarrett called me and said let’s do it. He said they were willing to do this for me and if that makes you happy then we would love to have you on board. We even did a gentleman’s agreement. He was like, ‘Do you want to do a contract just for a week so you can see what we are going to be doing’? I said, ‘No, let’s do it the way gentleman do it. Let’s shake hands and I’ll go work for you. I will trust you. You know me and know I always deliver and what I bring to the table. I will do those four TV tapings and after those TV tapings we will sit down. If you don’t think my work is worth what I’m asking for then you say right there and I’ll give you a big discount’. But of course after those four TV tapings, they were completely happy with me not just because of what I bring to the table but what I bring to the ring but what I bring outside the ring with fans, sponsors, helping the talent backstage to do their job better. I made them happy and they made me happy. At the moment, we are closing the final details of what is going to be my contract. Then, I will be joining TNA for good and retire in the company."
TNAmarkFrmIndia

IMPACT Wrestling Unveils Details for Cross-Promotion, Co-Branded Events and Distribution with Lucha Libre AAA
TORONTO | NASHVILLE | MEXICO CITY – IMPACT Wrestling, a subsidiary of Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp., today unveiled details about the landmark alliance announced last month with Promociones Antonio Peña S.A. de C.V., the owner of Lucha Libre AAA, Mexico’s preeminent professional wrestling organization founded in 1992.

The alliance coincides with a mutual milestone, as this year marks the 15th anniversary of IMPACT Wrestling and 25th anniversary of Lucha Libre AAA.

“This is an exciting time of celebration for both IMPACT Wrestling and AAA Lucha Libre,” said Ed Nordholm, president of IMPACT Wrestling. “By combining our efforts on talent, touring and distribution, we will increase the global footprint of our respective companies and create the best product for our passionate fan bases.”

The previously announced talent exchange between the organizations will kick into full gear on July 2 when IMPACT Wrestling presents Slammiversary 2017 from The IMPACT Zone in Orlando, Florida. The blockbuster pay-per-view event will showcase top talent from the high-flying AAA roster.

Meanwhile, AAA will present its 25th Anniversary Triplemania XXV on August 26, 2017 in Mexico City. The annual extravaganza will feature top IMPACT Wrestling stars Bobby Lashley, Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards, and an IMPACT championship belt will be defended on Mexican soil.

The two organizations also intend to launch co-branded live tours in the fall.

In addition to these cross-promotional initiatives, Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp. will work with Lucha Libre AAA to expand the distribution of Fight Network, the world’s premier combat sports channel and home of IMPACT Wrestling in Canada. AAA will also facilitate distribution of IMPACT Wrestling in new territories throughout Latin America and South America, while Anthem will facilitate the expansion of the Lucha Libre AAA footprint through Fight Network’s diverse distribution channels.

"The best way to celebrate these 25 years of uninterrupted work is sharing with all of you the news that we presented today – our alliance with IMPACT Wrestling and the announcement of our international tour that includes not only the North American stops that we will complete with IMPACT Wrestling but also countries like Colombia and Japan, in addition to other activities that will help us to celebrate this important anniversary,” said Dorian Roldan, Executive VP of Enterprise Development for AAA.

Jeff Jarrett, Chief Creative Officer of IMPACT Wrestling, added: “I am excited to see the stars of IMPACT Wrestling and AAA on both anniversary shows and eager to start the co-branded live events as we continue to build promotional bridges on a global basis.”
Brada

Post by Brada »

TNA is getting La Parka....lol....oh boy.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

He actually was one of the reasons I actually wanted to watch WCW.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

Matt Sydal might show up at the tapings tomorrow.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Unless he managed to finagle himself a Cody deal, I doubt it, since it seems he's feuding w/ Scurll over the TV Title
TNAmarkFrmIndia

King of Indy Style wrote:Unless he managed to finagle himself a Cody deal, I doubt it, since it seems he's feuding w/ Scurll over the TV Title
Could be possible they worked something out with Impact, since he can't work in Japan for the time being.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Add another ROH possibility that has chose another promotion.

Spoiler: show
So looks like Jax Dane signed with Impact. He and Crimson are tagging together now.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Brada wrote:Add another ROH possibility that has chose another promotion.

Spoiler: show
So looks like Jax Dane signed with Impact. He and Crimson are tagging together now.
How do we know ROH wanted him exclusively?

If they get Sydal that's a big loss for ROH, but I haven't seen anything to indicate ROH wanted to sign the guy in your spoiler tag.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Not sure if it made the public rounds, but I do know that he along with a couple of others are/were "strong considerations".
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Regarding the cancellation of the World of Sport tapings, the public story is logistical problems and the idea the tapings were too close to the dates for the Impact tapings in India (which are 5/30 and 6/1) and they are having trouble getting new dates, but that’s a clear cover reason. The key problem is what was reported here last week regarding ITV and Impact not coming to a business agreement over their partnership. ITV wants to do it, and the feeling was that they had the structure to handle a taping for one show, but not a promotion, which is where TNA came aboard since they have experience in running a wrestling business. It’s certainly not dead that they would be able to reach an agreement and do tapings later. It also may not happen. Whether ITV would do it on their own or work with a U.K. promotion is still up in the air. The problem with the U.K. promotions is that all the talent in the U.K., besides those signed with WWE & Anthem are free agents and work everywhere, and ITV would want a crew under contract so WWE couldn’t pick them off. The Mirror reported that the shows won’t be taped until 2018 which will kill the project because I don’t see any top talent not getting signed somewhere before that. A lot of the talent doesn’t think it’s going to happen now since no new dates were announced and just the way it quietly was announced as not happening. One person key in the plans said the story they were told was they were looking at starting in the next year, which sounds a lot less promising than if they said they’d be taping in the next two months. There were several minor things done to sabotage the project but ultimately I think ITV wanted to try wrestling which used to be cheap programming in the old days, but now it’s expensive and you have to sign the talent to deals or you’ll lose them if they are good to one of many different companies, most notably WWE. There are major issues that aren’t settled. ITV supposedly has a backup plan, but working with What Culture is not something that is being considered right now based on what we’re told. A lot of the talent signed by ITV was unhappy when the word was that Impact would be taking over and wanted out, and even more disappointed when these shows were canceled. Some were told that it may not be until next year when the first tapings take place, which is where the starting back in 2018 story came from. There was actually talk among some of the guys of a Radicalz 2000 jump to WWE, which obviously would have loved to have taken the top tier talent from the project, but many of the key contracts with ITV from the first set of tapings were for one year, so they have a long way to go. There was talk of some of them being at the WWE tryouts, but I’m not sure WWE would let guys try out publicly who have existing contracts and we didn’t hear anything about the contracted guys here trying out. Others involved with the project outright told us that given how everything went down this past week, with the cancellation and not even a clue of a new tapings date, or the nebulous early 2018, that they are going with their own mentality of like it’s not happening, and it’s a big disappointment because much of the talent had high hopes for the project