IMPACT Wrestling Official Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
famicommander

Re: The TNA Thread

Post by famicommander »

I am beginning to think nobody can run this company well. They've tried a who's who of wrestling figures -- Jarrett, Bischoff, Russo, Cornette, Prichard, Mitchell, D'Amore, Mantell, Borash, Callis -- plus a bunch of non-wrestling idiots like Dixie Carter and Billy Corgan.

And yet the result always seems to be the same. Late checks and public embarassments galore.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Teddy freaking Hart? Seriously?
TNAmarkFrmIndia

Post by TNAmarkFrmIndia »

Io Shirai on Impact Wrestling's Radar

Gail Kim was on an episode of 'Keepin it 100 with Konnan' on Westwood One’s The Jericho Network. On the podcast, Gail said that Impact Wrestling have their eye on Io Shirai. You can listen to the interview here.
Someone brought her name up to me and they said, "Hey, we needed Japanese wrestlers, that would be awesome". And so I asked Rebel, because I heard she came from Stardom, so Rebel went over there and she went and wrestled and trained really hard and I said, "Hey, have you heard of this girl? Did you work with her in Stardom?" and she said "Yes" and she just put her over huge. She said, "She is so good, and when she is comfortable with a girl, they go balls to the wall". And she said, "You would be so impressed".

That's the one thing that I've noticed that there's kind of a lack of right now. We don't have a high flyer in Impact.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Anyone going to the Impact Wrestlecon show? I'm thinking about it.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

IMPACT Wrestling vs. Lucha Underground Set for WrestleCon – Weekend, Streams Live on Twitch

IMPACT Wrestling announced today a historic co-promotion with Lucha Underground has been set for WrestleCon weekend scheduled for April 5 to April 8, 2018 in New Orleans, La.

The stars of IMPACT Wrestling will face off against the stars of Lucha Underground on Friday, April 6, starting at 9:00 p.m. CT at The Sugar Mill (1021 Convention Center Blvd.) during what will be the biggest weekend of the year in professional wrestling.

IMPACT Wrestling vs. Lucha Underground will stream live exclusively on IMPACT Wrestling’s Twitch channel (www.twitch.tv/impactwrestling). The channel will feature over 10 hours of original daily content for three days during WrestleCon weekend, including exclusive podcasts and behind-the-scenes footage.

“We are excited and honored to expand our partnership with AAA and Twitch for this groundbreaking co-promotion with Lucha Underground,” said Ed Nordholm, president of IMPACT Wrestling. “Extensive coverage from WrestleCon will stream live all weekend on IMPACT Wrestling’s official Twitch channel as fans will have the opportunity to interact with their favorite stars.”

“We are very excited to partner with IMPACT Wrestling for this very special and unique event,” said Dorian Roldán, General Manager of Lucha Underground. “We are also very excited to bring Lucha Underground to fans at WrestleCon for the first time. We think this is a great opportunity for both IMPACT Wrestling and Lucha Underground to put on a great show for all the wrestling fans who will be in New Orleans.”

A subsidiary of Anthem Wrestling Exhibitions LLC, IMPACT Wrestling will send its biggest stars to compete on April 6, including reigning IMPACT World Champion Austin Aries, Alberto El Patron, Eli Drake, Moose, Eddie Edwards, LAX, oVe and Sami Callihan, Trevor Lee and “The Machine” Brian Cage, plus the Knockouts will be represented by Allie, Rosemary and Taya Valkyrie. “Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner will also be in the house, live and uncensored.

Lucha Underground stars include Pentagon, Fenix, King Cuerno, Drago, Aerostar, Killshot, Matanza, The Mack, Jack Evans and many other Lucha Libre sensations.

Matches for the show will be announced in the coming weeks.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

cool this is gonna be live on Twitch. I'm debating if I should go live or not.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'll give it a watch.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Just bought tickets for the Impact Wrestlecon show. Gonna be my first Impact show. I never saw them when they would come to Kent Washington many moons ago, when they had Team 3D and Angle on the card but now that no ones left I decide to buy tickets LOL.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I haven't been to a wrestling show since the 90s. Only WWE comes to Denver and I don't follow their product closely enough to want to spend money on it. I don't know if TNA ever came to Denver, but I don't think so.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

They've been to colorado atleast once
May 29, 2009–TNA House Show – in Pueblo, Colorado at the Pueblo Convention Center: Suicide b Consequences Creed to retain the TNA X-Division title, Eric Young b Brutus Magnus, Angelina Love b Awesome Kong to retain the TNA Knockout title, Abyss b Matt Morgan, Samoa Joe b Scott Steiner, Team 3-D (Brothers Ray & Devon) b The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) in a Tables match..
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Pueblo is 115 miles from Denver.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Meltzer says that Dorian Roldan has mentioned wanting to buy Impact.

Dorian is already used to putting on ridiculously bad shows and stiffing talent on pay, so he'd fit right in.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Maybe that means more Impact in the Southwest and more AAA talent.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Jeff Cobb was offered a two-year deal but has not accepted it.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Aries vs. Sydal was very decent
TNAmarkFrmIndia

Don Callis answers fan questions on Reddit

What are your hopes for NJPW's western expansion? Do you want Impact to be a player in it?

everyone wants to do business with NJPW. We are focused on improving our product and positioning us where everyone will want to work with us. At that point many doors open. I think NJ has a unique product and if they stick to being unique they will do well in the US etc

I've been enjoying Impact since you and D'amore took the helm, it's been real good. Since the company has made a turn for the better recently, my question is where do you see Impact being by the end of the year? Do you have a plan of what direction you want to take the company?

by end of the year to be the company that everyone is talking about, with a cutting edge product both on POP and on Twitch.

I'm listening to the podcast right now. What has been the most challenging part of becoming co-Vice VP of Impact? What has been the most gratifying part?

we are a lean mean executive team (hey that rhymed) so we all get our hands in lots of different projects which is also what makes it cool

most gratifying part is working hands on with the great talent

I saw Scott D’Amore say how he wanted to push Trevor Lee in multiple divisions. I have to agree with him as I feel he is incredibly talented for his age. Do you feel the same way?

Trevor is excellent

What will Impact look like 1 year from now? Whats something you guys want to provide to wrestling fans with Impact that WWE doesnt?

like the hottest promotion in the world. i can't comment on what WWE does or doesn't provide only that we want to be the best

Would you be open to outside bands contributing their music for entrance themes with Impact Wrestling in the way thar ROH does?

How about some Fozzy songs?

I like Take That

Hey Don, how's the vibe in the back at Impact at the moment? I imagine it's been up and down over the years but it feels like there's a real optimism about the show at the moment, and it seems like it's heading in a great direction. Also, any funny backstage stories recently?

super positive! i think Ed set the tone wth the IP announcement and the talent sees the commitment from the whole team. funny story would be Tommy Dreamer continually trying to gross me out

I’m a big fan of tag team wrestling, and although Impact have tried their best to produce quality from the tag division over the years, I really wish Impact would stack the division with a lot of talented teams. Are there any plans to help revive the tag division in the near future?

I love tag team wrestling and a revitalized division is something to look forward to for sure!

Hi Don, I was wondering if you were given the opportunity which NJPW star would you love to bring even just for one appearance to Impact wrestling (other than Kenny Omega), and who would you have them wrestle against? Thanks.

great question..... I would book Takahashi against Sami Callahan

Is Slammiversary due to come back or are all the TNA brand PPVs due to be replaced?

Some kept some surprises! hit me up with some new names!

If the opponent and timing both fall into place, could there be an opportunity for Chris Jericho to have a one-off match for Impact Wrestling as a special attraction? (Much like how Jushin Liger faced Tyler Breeze at TakeOver)

well he does owe me a favour......

Has your MBA helped when it comes to dealing with the business side of dealing with running and promoting IMPACT and working with NJPW?

yup!

How did the Impact vs Lucha Underground show come to be? Whose idea was it, how much convincing did it take, can we expect more Impact vs Insert Promotion Here shows?

we are super open to working with everyone! break the old walls down!!

How do you view the current state of the Canadian market (viewership, social engagement, etc) and do see any major opportunities to gain more exposure here in the short term?

for sure. Canada is one of the best wrestling markets historically in the world. As Impact continues to ramp up we will see further engagement IMO

Does the new direction of Impact wrestling influenced by your experiences in New Japan? You did commentary on many of their shows and see the matches they have, the in ring action.

I feel that Impact Wrestling has changed since you took over: The in ring aspect has drastically improved with matches getting more time to tell a story. We also didn't see any "fuck finishes" to matches aka run ins or disqualifications which I also love.

So yeah did you transfer some of the in ring philosophy of New Japan's wrestling to Impact wrestling?

Btw great work on Impact. :)

my philosophies on finishes go back to watching All Japan in the mid nineties

How Did you feel your NWATNA Run went and any stories form that time period ?

it was fun! i wasn't booked well, but I didn't really care at that time. i still remember Dutch getting me to smoke a pipe and have a bow tie. Tremendous stuff!!

Hey! Years ago I remember you feuding with Erik Watts over control of TNA. At the end of that you won control of TNA but pretty quickly disappeared.

Seemed a bit weird to have you victorious and then write you off the show. Was there a story behind that?

WHEN you are top talent you have creative control!

Hi Don, great to have you doing the AMA. Do you think Jeff Jarrett going into the WWE HOF will benefit Impact in any way?

i like Jeff and wish him all the best. He was always very good to me when I was in TNA in 03-04

Hi Don,

I'm glad to see you working with Scott D'Amore again, you two were my favourite part of Border City Wrestling in 2001 and 2002. I'm wondering if your current partnership has you helping Scott with Border City Wrestling again and their new found partnership with Impact.

i am still the undefeated BCW tag champ!!!!

Hi Don, I'm a huge fan of your commentary work! If you could come back and manage one wrestler in any promotion who would it be and why?

i would manage Patron or Aries

What are you impressions about this friday show on twitch? How do you see the twitch partnership until now?

I love Twitch!!excited for this friday!!

Who is your favorite wrestler outside of NJPW?

Aries

Do you need a color commentator for Impact?

not sure where i could find a handsome top talent

Hi Don, great work at impact. Have two questions. Will we see a new commentary team for ppv and impact? Also will the wrestling be a bit stiffer in impact I notice it looks like everyone is a few steps behind faster matches would be awesome. Thanks Don

wait and see!!!! STIFFER AND FASTER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. wrestling is about characters and telling a story and selling

Do you have a desire to use wrestling managers in a significant way on Impact Wrestling? With Jimmy Jacobs acting as the mouthpiece for Kongo Kong, and James Mitchell/Sinister Minister appearing on TV again, it seems managers might be an important part of the equation.

Also, if you could steal one talent from NJPW for Impact Wrestling, who would it be?

I like managers, but not managers who wrestle but I am a big believer in the heel manager concept as I grew up watching the great bobby heenan here in Wpg.

If i could steal one talent probably Tanahashi

Hi Don!

What has been the biggest challenge so far in your position as VP of Impact Wrestling?

writing television while floating in Scott's pool

Won't ask about NJPW but mainly TNA since this seems to promote TNA mainly.

What is your vision for TNA? We seen shows turn around within months (205 after HHH took over is a good example).

Good luck.

we want to be the hottest promotion in the world. connect better with fans and get folks talking

In retrospect, do you really think you gave the people what they wanted? If not, what did you do to get more in touch these days, as shown by Impact's turn around?

always try and please the fans

who's the strongest?

in the gym? BRIAN CAGE in smell: Drakkar Damore

Glad to hear of Impact's partnership with RISE recently, as regards the KO division, are there any plans to partner with any Japanese women's wrestling promotions such as TJPW or Ice Ribbon?

our policy is open to work with everyone!

Hey Mr. Callis. Thanks for the AMA. What can you tell us about where you want to take Impact Wrestling over the next few years?

hottest and coolest promotion on earth!!

Hi Don, I've been working in film/television, on and off screen, for 10 years and independent wrestling for 5 years as a manager and commentator. I want to work for and positively contribute at Impact Wrestling, but I'm not sure how to get my foot in the door. If there's any way you could point me in the right direction, I'd sincerely appreciate it!

send us a reel!

Hey Don, what do you think of modern day wrestling compared to wrestling of old? Would you still consider matches like Flair/ Steamboat classics today?

yes, absolutely. I liked 80s NWA-WCW the best

Don! What's the biggest money match that NJPW (either alone or with their partners, such as ROH) could put on at the next Wrestle Kingdom? Care to make your pick for the next big star in wrestling?

OMEGA IBUSHI SAMI CALLIHAN and Brian Cage

Any new international partnerships possible or in the works, any update on new japan and impact ?

like any good aspiring Bond villain I am all about global domination.

Is Impact going to get new commentary? Don West and Robert Flores were fantastic at Slammiversary and that was the only time in years(maybe since West and Tenay) that we had a good commentary team that enhanced the product

all in good time grasshopper

Love the podcast and you're one of my favorite commenters right now. What's it like to balance work for TNA and NJPW?

No problem. the jet lag allows me to work on Impact stuff at all hours!!

Hi, Don who is your favorite Women's wrestler at the moment?

Rosemary

Will the new belts be showcased at NOLA this week?

now that could spoil a surprise

Hey Don, any plans to change the arena presentation over the coming months or is everyone focused right now on what happens in the ring?

lots of changes still to come!

Was there something that TNA/IMPACT brought to the table in the past during it's "prime" that you'd want to either return or emphasize on more with your current product?

need to be cutting edge

Say Jericho was to wrestle in Impact who would be your dream program for him in Impact?

Callahan or Aries

Who is the leader of the locker room there? Is there an Undertaker type of leader that everyone knows is the Alpha male of the group?

Aries or Patron

Jim Cornette was the authority figure on Impact before the Canada Tapings. Jim is extremely entertaining on TV. You like Jim, I think. He is the type of authority figure that does not hog the show.

Any chance Jim comes back?

I love Jim. but authority figures are overdone. I was the second to do it in ECW and then did it in TNA and I thought it was overdone then and that was 2003!!

Do you think you can persuade Cody and the Young Bucks to return to Impact?

Cody has caused myself and Kenny and Kota a lot of distress so probably not

Who do you think is the best wrestler in the world? (Apart from Kenny Omega)

Aries.

Are there any particular aspects of Vince's vision of the business that you agree with?

making money

Opinions on Dixie Carter?

always pleasant to me

Weirdest interactions you’ve had in the past year with fellow wrestlers?

Calihan is a legit freakshow. no disrespect intended
TNAmarkFrmIndia

#ChiefEngineer

Josh Matthews, Sonjay Dutt and Ariel (someone who works for Anthem) were at the bar in their hotel, when this clearly intoxicated women (who absolutely wanted the 3D) tells them that her husband is the Chief Engineer for a wrestling company. At first, Josh and the gang assumed she meant the WWE but she continued to say that her husband works for Sinclair. And he's the Chief Engineer. She was mad at her husband because they had a fight earlier about her dancing with a gay guy. Later on, her husband apparently came down and took her back to her room. Sonjay noted that he looked like he could be her grandfather.

So in the end it was just a drunk lady giving off vibes to the 3 men that she was willing and able for a quick fuck session.
http://www.twitch.tv/impactwrestling/v/ ... =a&t=7280s
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

crap show, crap production, Del Rio no showed

crist brothers suck ass
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Del Rio getting fired for no-showing a show he did a press conference for mere hours before is the most Del Rio thing I've ever heard.