IMPACT Wrestling Official Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
famicommander

Re: IMPACT Wrestling Official Thread

Post by famicommander »

Impact dedicated 9 months of programming to put over a 47 year old that doesn't even work there. Swann, Moose, and Callihan got thrown under the bus for nothing.

AEW and AAA let a 47 year old end Omega's streak and pin their champions when we all know Omega is going to beat Cage at the PPV anyway.

Absolutely none of the three promotions benefit from this.

EDIT:
he's 47, not 46, my bad
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:50 pm Impact dedicated 9 months of programming to put over a 46 year old that doesn't even work there. Swann, Moose, and Callihan got thrown under the bus for nothing.

AEW and AAA let a 46 year old end Omega's streak and pin their champions when we all know Omega is going to beat Cage at the PPV anyway.

Who cares how old he is? He’s in great shape and has held multiple titles in the WWF. AJ Styles is 44. Would it have been shitty if AJ came and beat Omega?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:54 pm
famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:50 pm Impact dedicated 9 months of programming to put over a 46 year old that doesn't even work there. Swann, Moose, and Callihan got thrown under the bus for nothing.

AEW and AAA let a 46 year old end Omega's streak and pin their champions when we all know Omega is going to beat Cage at the PPV anyway.

Who cares how old he is? He’s in great shape and has held multiple titles in the WWF. AJ Styles is 44. Would it have been shitty if AJ came and beat Omega?
Would it be shitty if AJ came and beat Kenny?

If one of these promotions actually signed AJ long term and was able to have him end Kenny's streak for one of the belts that would be an incredibly smart thing to do.

If they let AJ come in and pin their three-promotion champion and then fuck off back to WWE? That would be one of the stupidest things in the history of wrestling.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:00 pm

If one of these promotions actually signed AJ long term and was able to have him end Kenny's streak for one of the belts that would be an incredibly smart thing to do.

If they let AJ come in and pin their three-promotion champion and then fuck off back to WWE? That would be one of the stupidest things in the history of wrestling.
You brought age into it. Apparently age is only a factor when you don’t like someone/something.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:02 pm

You brought age into it. Apparently age is only a factor when you don’t like someone/something.
I like Christian a lot.

Doesn't change the fact that they buried a bunch of much younger guys to put over a necessarily short term champion who doesn't even work there.

If Christian were 44 and signed to Impact this would be a lot different.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:03 pm

I like Christian a lot.

Doesn't change the fact that they buried a bunch of much younger guys to put over a necessarily short term champion who doesn't even work there.

There’s no difference between 47 and 44 and you know it.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I think a better way to frame it as an AEW guy beat another AEW guy for the Impact title after the former champ beat the entire Impact main event scene. It implies that Omega and Christian are all superior to the entire Impact roster. Also beating Christian to win the belt back isn't as big of a deal than beating Omega. Even beating Omega, if he beats Christian to regain the Impact title would be tainted now.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:19 pm

I like Christian a lot.

I'm no scientist but I'm fairly sure the difference between 47 and 44 is 3.

And yes, the difference does matter. A 3 year difference in your 40s is another thing entirely from a 3 year difference in your 20s.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:22 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:19 pm

I like Christian a lot.

I'm no scientist but I'm fairly sure the difference between 47 and 44 is 3.

And yes, the difference does matter. A 3 year difference in your 40s is another thing entirely from a 3 year difference in your 20s.
Here we go. We’re not talking about the way you feel. If you’re 44 or 47, you fall into a category. And being 3 years older or younger than someone is hardly a big difference as you get older.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Honestly, Christians age shouldn't be the issue here. A non-main event (and I could be wrong about that, I don't watch AEW but have a idea of what's going on) AEW wrestler just did something that 3 top Impact stars failed to do.

In fairness to this discussion, I haven't enjoyed the Omega in Impact story and the only times I got real interested is when Moose and Sami got their title shots. I really wanted to see Callihan beat Omega. Now that is taken away and while Christian returning to Impact is neat, it certainly isn't something I'm going to get excited about.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The age should absolutely matter. You don't spend 9 months of programming building to a fucking 47 year old man's coronation. Much less a 47 year old man that doesn't even work in your promotion and will be taking a big fat L on the next PPV. Cage had to retire for several years due to head injuries. Any match he has could be his last ever.

From Impact's perspective the only thing that could have salvaged this was Moose pinning Kenny clean. Honestly, if I'm Impact, I screwjob the title off Christian before Kenny can pin him. That would be the most hilarious swerve of all time.

From AEW's perspective it should've been someone like Adam Page or Jungle Boy or another long term star to finally end Kenny's 700+ day undefeated streak as triple world champion.

From AAA's perspective their title has been shit on no matter who wins at Triplemania.

All three belts come out of this terrible 9 month storyline looking worse than they went into it.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

What happens with Omega in Impact now? Does he ever show up again??? He pinned the champ in a 6 man (Swann) ,then pinned champ to win title (Swann again) then beat it's 2 top contenders (Moose,Sami) and finally drops the title to an AEW guy on AEW TV. What now? Does he and Callis never show up again after taking up a large chunk of TV last 9 months and headlining 4 PPVs?

Also, look how AEW talked about Impact title and how Impact talked about AEW title. AEW barely mentioned the Impact title and when they did, it was always snarky or dismissive. They would always say "uhh oh yea...there's impact title" and then be in awe of AEW title. The opposite of that is Impact where Striker gave the ultimate respect to the AEW title while also putting Impact title over equally.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:09 am What happens with Omega in Impact now? Does he ever show up again??? He pinned the champ in a 6 man (Swann) ,then pinned champ to win title (Swann again) then beat it's 2 top contenders (Moose,Sami) and finally drops the title to an AEW guy on AEW TV. What now? Does he and Callis never show up again after taking up a large chunk of TV last 9 months and headlining 4 PPVs?

Also, look how AEW talked about Impact title and how Impact talked about AEW title. AEW barely mentioned the Impact title and when they did, it was always snarky or dismissive. They would always say "uhh oh yea...there's impact title" and then be in awe of AEW title. The opposite of that is Impact where Striker gave the ultimate respect to the AEW title while also putting Impact title over equally.
With the story Impact is telling you would think Omwga is going to put over Callihan at some point.

The two companies working arrangement certainly hasn't treated Impact with much respect.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:15 am
Shanahan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:09 am What happens with Omega in Impact now? Does he ever show up again??? He pinned the champ in a 6 man (Swann) ,then pinned champ to win title (Swann again) then beat it's 2 top contenders (Moose,Sami) and finally drops the title to an AEW guy on AEW TV. What now? Does he and Callis never show up again after taking up a large chunk of TV last 9 months and headlining 4 PPVs?

With the story Impact is telling you would think Omwga is going to put over Callihan at some point.

The two companies working arrangement certainly hasn't treated Impact with much respect.
AEW is the number 2 company, there’s nobody on the planet that think the Impact title is more special than the AEW Title. Sami Callihan could have pinned Omega 10x clean on AEW PPVs and the Impact Title would still mean less than AEWs. Why would AEW talk up the Impact Title or AAA or whoever?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:37 pm

AEW is the number 2 company, there’s nobody on the planet that think the Impact title is more special than the AEW Title. Sami Callihan could have pinned Omega 10x clean on AEW PPVs and the Impact Title would still mean less than AEWs. Why would AEW talk up the Impact Title or AAA or whoever?
Because it's shitty business to work with a company and then shit on their title. I would expect WWE to do that but i thought AEW was different. They don't treat NJPW like that and it doesn't matter that AEW is bigger than Impact. Respect is Respect.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:48 pm

Because it's shitty business to work with a company and then shit on their title. I would expect WWE to do that but i thought AEW was different. They don't treat NJPW like that and it doesn't matter that AEW is bigger than Impact. Respect is Respect.
Nobody will remember or care. Rich Swann didn’t get schoolboyed in 10 secs by the Dinosaur. Impact will continue to do business. They know their place. They will never be #1 or #2. If they can get a few more fans to subscribe to Impact +, it’s a win. Potential new signings aren’t going to not accept Impact contracts because AEW didn’t “respect” them.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:18 pm

Nobody will remember or care. Rich Swann didn’t get schoolboyed in 10 secs by the Dinosaur. Impact will continue to do business. They know their place. They will never be #1 or #2. If they can get a few more fans to subscribe to Impact +, it’s a win. Potential new signings aren’t going to not accept Impact contracts because AEW didn’t “respect” them.
You seem to have forgotten that their TV and Youtube viewership completely cratered during this storyline.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:33 pm

You seem to have forgotten that their TV and Youtube viewership completely cratered during this storyline.
Unfortunately there’s no way to definitively tell its because of this storyline or something else. Only 24/7 dirt sheet lovers can debate on it.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:47 pm
famicommander wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:33 pm

Unfortunately there’s no way to definitively tell its because of this storyline or something else. Only 24/7 dirt sheet lovers can debate on it.
So AEW is the hottest wrestling company in the world,the clear #2 & it's biggest star couldn't boost the ratings??? Hmmmmmmmmm
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I never thought I'd see the day when ROH fans would be defending LOLTNA.