IMPACT Wrestling Official Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: The TNA Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So apparently Austin Aries' Contract is expiring soon?
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:So apparently Austin Aries' Contract is expiring soon?
Confirmed for Final Battle :D
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

AndyDiaz wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:So apparently Austin Aries' Contract is expiring soon?
Confirmed for Final Battle :D
Jay versus A-Double?

The only 2-time champs in the company's history battle for the belt with Aries trying to become the first 3-time champ. It would kind of sell itself. And the two great promo guys with drastically opposite personalities would make for a hell of a build.

And it could free up AJ to instead defend the IWGP strap.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Hardcore War 2006 - June 9, 2006
X-Division Title Match
Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels

A bit better than Joe's threeway the following weekend with KENTA and Bryan Danielson since nobody got knocked the fuck out in this one. All these years later, this is honestly on par with the rest of their threeway series. Joe took an early powder but somehow managed to get an advantage on the outside on both challengers (I should note they were tag partners at this time, their issues now behind them.) Styles would find ways to hit explosive spots to keep this competitive, as would Daniels but not quite as explosively. The easy highlight of this was Joe blocking a kick from Styles, springboarding him into a backflip, Styles lands in position to drop Daniels with an inverted DDT, kicks an approaching Joe, and then simultaneously drops Joe with a traditional DDT. Joe went onto retain in what I would consider to be a classic match thanks to the awesome Philly crowd. ****
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

How well does everyone think that match would be if they did it today?

It'd probably be a lot less high flying, but I'm willing to bet they could still put on an incredible match.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

TYFDK wrote:How well does everyone think that match would be if they did it today?

It'd probably be a lot less high flying, but I'm willing to bet they could still put on an incredible match.
I have no doubt that Styles would steal the match on that one, because both Joe and Daniels have lost a step in the ring, and Styles has really put it together, now that he's mostly moved away from the high flying.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

TNA Worth Watching - Hardcore Justice till No Surrender

No Surrender - Team 3D vs. The Hardys vs. The Wolves ****
Impact 27th - Team 3D vs. The Hardys vs. The Wolves ***1/2
No Surrender - Lashley vs. Bobby Roode ***1/2
Impact 10th - Team 3D vs. The Hardys vs. The Wolves ***1/4
Impact 10th - Lashley, MVP & King vs. Roode, Joe & Young ***
World Cup - James Storm vs. Eddie Edwards ***
World Cup - Eric Young vs. Bobby Roode ***
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Apparently The Wolves are officially off Bound For Glory due to Richards' injuries. Team 3D is taking their place.

http://www.w-1.co.jp/news/detail.php?id=2935

So even with Richards injured, they won't even send over Edwards?
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

yeah Davey was supposed to wrestle for a local indy here on the 27th but pulled out because he wasnt medically cleared.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Meltzer is reporting that Impact will be in a "holding pattern" and to expect "compilation" style episodes in the last quarter of 2014 to air on Spike TV. Four networks have been in negotiations with TNA, including CMT, Velocity, and WGN America.

BFG is a fucking mess.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

supersonic wrote:Meltzer is reporting that Impact will be in a "holding pattern" and to expect "compilation" style episodes in the last quarter of 2014 to air on Spike TV. Four networks have been in negotiations with TNA, including CMT, Velocity, and WGN America.

BFG is a fucking mess.
Still not sure why WGN America would be interested in TNA. Why would they want TNA if they didn't want WWE? (I think Superstars got comparable ratings to TNA. I could be completely wrong on that).

Bound For Glory is indeed a mess.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Slammiversary 2006 - June 18, 2006

Tag Titles Match
America's Most Wanted vs. AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels

Same issues as last month - zero enforcement of tag legalities. I feel like Bryan Alvarez pointing out the Briscoes' flaws from this time, but these four surely should've known better. That said, the action itself was really good and the crowd loved it. This also had the proper finish was the dream team winning the belts. ***1/4

Samoa Joe vs. Scott Steiner

Really good psychology here that somewhat reminded me of Joe's dream match against Kenta Kobashi. Steiner manhandled Joe in a much different way than Kobashi. He cancelled out Joe's attempts at mat wrestling, showcasing his All-American background as an amateur from his days in Ann Arbor. He also managed to throw Joe around with various suplexes, a stunning sight to see. This was similarly surreal to Brock Lesnar and Undertaker's Hell in a Cell match, because Joe is always the dominant force.

A moment that stood out to me was Steiner powerbomibing Joe, but the former ROH Champ absorbed the bump, locking Steiner in a triangle armbar. That was a really nice moment because it offset Steiner's amateur background. I also believe this is where Lesnar and CM Punk got the idea for the same spot during their epic reversal segment in their SummerSlam 2013 classic. The next highlight, of course bringing back memories of Joe vs. Kobashi, was Steiner lowblowing Joe during a rearnaked chokehold, breaking a waistlock, and then dropping Joe headfirst with a half-nelson suplex. I'm sure that was worth it for Joe.

Unfortunately, the finish was botched as Steiner missed the ropes when Joe dropped him in Stun Gun like fashion, and then was finished off with a powerslam. Still really good storytelling and the last quality match of Steiner's career. A major pleasant surprise after Steiner's tenure in WWE prior to this. ***1/4
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

No notes on the rumors that WGN picked Impact up?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'd have posted them if those rumors were actually validated by Meltzer, Johnson, Keller, TNA, or WGN.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

Ladrao12 wrote:No notes on the rumors that WGN picked Impact up?
WGN is a huge step down from Spike.
Smile

Post by Smile »

ROHFanAnthony wrote:
Ladrao12 wrote:No notes on the rumors that WGN picked Impact up?
WGN is a huge step down from Spike.
I wouldn't say huge. I'm not even sure it's a step down at all, considering that WGN will be a major cable network by 2016. They're phasing out Chicago sports in order to go national, starting in January 2015. They started producing their own original programming this year with Salem and Manhattan and more to come.

The added bonus of a deal with WGN is that Tribune usually airs their programming on their affiliate stations which are located in many cities where providers don't carry WGN.
Smile

Post by Smile »

So far confirmed for BFG -

James Storm and The Great Sanada vs The Great Muta and Tajiri
Samoa Joe vs Low Ki vs Kaz Hayashi for the X div title
Bulletclubfan97

Post by Bulletclubfan97 »

Smile wrote:So far confirmed for BFG -

Given Japanese fans don't like companies pretending taped title changes that haven't aired yet never happened they'll most likely be pissed at the X Title match given Joe's advertised as Champ if I read it correctly
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Bulletclubfan97 wrote:
Smile wrote:So far confirmed for BFG -

Given Japanese fans don't like companies pretending taped title changes that haven't aired yet never happened they'll most likely be pissed at the X Title match given Joe's advertised as Champ if I read it correctly
Sure. But it was said by people dislike TNA or W-1.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

- Last Tuesday's TNA Impact Wrestling tapings in Bethlehem, PA drew around 350 fans, according to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Wednesday's tapings drew around 200, Thursday's tapings drew 275 and Friday night's tapings drew 650. TNA had to heavily paper the Thursday night tapings to get to 275.