IMPACT Wrestling Official Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
kovs27

Re: The TNA Thread

Post by kovs27 »

I think NJPW is happy to allow talent to work in North America as long as they are getting exposure. I don't think they are ever going to try to run full time in North America. But if they are going to come over and do a couple big shows a year, the more places their talent can work, be on national tv and seen by the North American viewing audience it only enhances their brand and ability to draw when they do run shows. As the last post said, this also allows them to bring over some IMPACT guys. If a Trevor Lee can get over big in Japan then NJPW can sign him to add to the Junior division. It also keeps them away from AJPW or DragonGate.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

I looked at my cable guide and there's a 30 minute version of what looks like to be an episode of IMPACT! from 2014 for this sunday morning at 9:30 am. Does anyone have any in formation on why this would be. Google has not produced an answer.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

Post by TNAmarkFrmIndia »

Here's the promo for Taiji Ishimori's return to IMPACT Wrestling. It even uses NJPW footage.
https://twitter.com/fightnet/status/100 ... 91714?s=20
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

famicommander

Post by famicommander »

How many tickets were available to begin with?

Because if you only had 8 seats, sure you can claim a sellout, but there's still only 8 people there.
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Best Slammiversary ever IMO, what a turnaround
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

roacheyyy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:50 am Best Slammiversary ever IMO, what a turnaround
Absolutely. It was a great show.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

Don Callis hosted the Killing The Town podcast after Slammiversary and interviewed IMPACT World Champion Austin Aries. You can listen to the podcast here.

Don Callis on Austin Aries vs Moose:
It reminded me a lot, and this is one of the reasons why when we booked this, of course this comes up, 'well, you know, straight wrestling match'. For me, and I tend to put things into an ECW context because that's kind of my background. I'm like 'Austin Aries is Shane Douglas'. Amidst all the chaos and all the craziness, a great professional wrestler goes in, outwrestles his opponent and wins. That's what Shane used to do. And you know he would use like tables here and there or whatever but sure, that was the thing, and it worked. Now you have to have a guy like you were Shane in his heyday to be able to pull that off. But I thought it delivered a 100% and I love the fact that you didn't have all the bells and whistles because it was different. Because as you know when you have a card you don't want chocolate cake for every meal. You want to mix it up.
On the main event following up two great matches:
It is a good problem to have because you want people to leave and be brought back to, 'well this is great wrestling. This is athletic. This is psychology. This is all of that stuff.' And that by the way is the hardest thing to imitate or duplicate is what you guys do. You could have people go out and do hardcore matches, it wouldn't be as good as what we saw last night, but top flight, athletic wrestling is hard to duplicate.
On the clean finish in the main event:
And that's the thing, as we're talking about this, if you're in that booking room, it's easy to go down the rabbit hole of 'well, we're gonna be sending people home unhappy because the heel's up, maybe we should do a screw finish' and when Scott and I came here in January, one of the things that we both felt very strongly about is clean finishes. Clean finishes and if people don't wanna do jobs, we're happy to have a discussion. But then that's just not gonna work here. My thing last night was, and even yesterday we're talking like 'well maybe we should have the thing' and I'm like 'No. He's the best wrestler in the world. He beat the guy with his finish. It's an athletic contest. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a great match that people will be happy to see.'
On the story they were telling with Moose:
And it's the perfect example of when it's done right, everyone benefits. I think Moose benefited huge from that last night. He looked great. The story that we got to tell as announcers, because it's what you guys were painting out there is Moose literally went all in on everything, and maybe he took it a little far and did the Undertaker dive and crashed and burned. He went all in on that, he took a chance and the guy who's the smart veteran took advantage of that on the floor and it was too much to overcome. That's the sports story that people understand.
On scripted promos:
Someone asked me like a week ago, 'well do you write promos for guys?' I'm like, 'No'. Then they're like, 'Yeah, but you're a great promo'. I'm like, 'Yeah, I can do a Don Callis promo better than anyone in this business. But if I start telling Eddie Edwards how to do a promo, he might sound a lot like Don Callis but that's not what we want!' I think it really is about the promo thing is about getting people comfortable with themselves and we're in a business where a lot of people come into this business not comfortable in their own skin. And now we're telling them, 'be this whole another character'.
On Sami Callihan:
He's so good at being Sami Callihan and being the type of heel that he is that he's probably gonna end up being a huge babyface at some point, because he's like that undersized guy who never backs down and just fights.
On his initial impressions of OVE:
Talking about being wrong about guys, I remember last October, and I told the Crists this yesterday, I remember calling Scott because I knew I was probably gonna end up coming in here, I just hadn't negotiated my deal yet. I remember watching the TV and just going, 'Oh my god. This is so bad. Who the hell are OVE? These guys are awful.' I'm like, 'Fire these two. This is brutal.' Now they're one of my favourite acts because they do so much nuanced comedy stuff with Sami that's sort of not supposed to be funny, and they're really talented wrestlers. You just gotta give them a chance and that's one of the best acts we've got, it's those three. It's awesome.
TNAmarkFrmIndia

IMPACT Wrestling Planning Major Tag Team Surprise at Bound For Glory
Santana and Ortiz of the LAX had a media teleconference last night and revealed that they have big plans in place for Bound For Glory. You can watch the media teleconference here.

"We got a surprise and hopefully it works out for Bound For Glory", Ortiz said. "I can't say what it is but I'm just hoping everything falls into part, everything falls into place and Bound For Glory is going to be crazy."

Santana added, "And if it does, get ready, papa! Get ready!"

Last week, Konnan referenced the big surprise on the Keepin It 100 podcast on The Jericho Network. You can listen to the podcast here.

"And the other thing that we did a great job of is we got the fuck out of Orlando", Konnan said. "So we're in Toronto, then we're going to go to New York, and the place we're going to in New York is the same place MLW went to in Queens and you wouldn't believe the energy in that place. It was fucking ridiculous, and we're gonna go there now, IMPACT, and we've got a real big surprise with LAX that's gonna go over fucking huge in New York."
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Jeff Jarrett is suing Anthem/Impact, alleging they used and profited from his IP without permission or compensation after he was fired from the company.

This is some carny stuff right here, dudes.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Per last night's Barnburner podcast:
Spoiler: show
Talks of Aries vs. Jericho at Bound For Glory with Jericho winning the title, then dropping it on his cruise but via significant interference.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Episode 62 - "The I Watched Contemporary TNA Episode"

Yo Scumbags welcome to a special episode of 4W this is all about Impact Wrestling the former TNA. I don't normally watch Impact but I watched Slammiversary (7/22) cuz I heard really good things about it, I also Watched an episode of IMPACT! (8/16) cuz I by chance had access to POP TV the network that airs the fucking show. I also discuss the Jeff Jarrett Lawsuit. Oh yes there's a Jeff Jarrett lawsuit it wouldn't be TNA if Jeff Jarrett wasnt involved in some sort of way. Leave questions, comments and concerns to weeklywrestlingwrant@gmail.com or on twitter @webconn69.

https://soundcloud.com/websweeklywrestl ... -watched-1
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Watched the Mediacon show on Twitch

Rich Swann vs Matt Sydal vs Trevor Lee: Fun opener. What I like about the X-Division is that they just let the guys go out there and put on amazing displays of athleticism. Swanns win seemed abrupt and Swann looked surprised. I don't know if that was a bad call or what but match kind of just ended.

Lucas Steel and Jake McCluskey vs Robbie X and Adam Maxted: I know nothing about these four. My knowledge of the UK Indie scene is absolutely null and void. That being said I really enjoyed this match. I think all four of these guys realized that they may not be the most well known guys on the show and decided to make names for themselves. Just a really well worked tag match. Tons of fun. They hit movez but they also told a story. I'd bring all four of them in for the next Canada TV Tapings. One of these guys is like only ten months into his wrestling career or so the british commentator said, I'm not sure which one though. Robbie X would make a good addition to the X Division, but then again all you need to do is hit a Standing Shooting Star Press and I'm a big fan of yours. It's way i'm partial to Apollo Crews.

Lana Austin vs Su Yung: Disappointed in lack of an Undead Bridesmaid entourage for Su. No clue who Lana Austin is. Su was in her full on unhinged rowdy style fighting around ringside and the like. Lana took a sick vertical suplex on the concrete outside. Lana took one hell of a beating from Su including this running cannonball senton from Su off the apron while Lana was seated in a chair on the outside. This being Lana's hometown she did manage to make a comeback. I thought Lana was pretty good she made a fan out of me. Su uses the mist to sneak out a victory. Lana is another one I'd bring in next time they tape in Canada.

IMPACT Tag Team Championship LAX (c) vs Johnny Storm and Jody Fleisch: My first exposure to Jody was in like 2002 when he was a skinny kid running up wells and hitting moonsaults, he looks a little different know to say the least. This was exactly what you think it would be, Smith and Jody hitting crazy ass moves. For all the added bulk it hasn't seemed to slow Jody down much. Sanatna and Ortiz weren't bad as the base for all the flippy dippy stuff they also slowed the match down with heel work such as submission holds and isolating the faces in their corner. They also hit a toupe or two for good measure. Jody hit a double code red on LAX, I thought that was cool. Fleisch is another in the List of PCO and LA Park that have reemerged out of obscurity in 2018. Out of the four matches so far this has been the match of the night, that could easily change. LAX impressed me in this, they were grounded worked as a team and pulled off the victory. I've only ever seen Santana and Ortiz in street fights were you can be a little sloppy and at Wrestlecon they were a little sloppy but I thought they were really good tonight. I also liked the sign of respect Jody and Smith showed putting the belts around their waists afterwards. I'd pay the money for visas and bring Jody and Smitch in for BFG, those tapings and then for the Vegas tapings, they would be a great addition to the tag division I think

Eli Drake vs Joe Hendry: What do you know, a rematch to the match they had on the IMPACT! I watched in August. Drake has the match post match but the house audio isn't that good and I couldn't really make out what he was saying. Joe has a mic too, I couldn't understand him either not only cuz of the shitty P.A. system but also Joe's scottish brogue doesn't help matters. Less of a comedy match from the first one I saw between the two of them and more of a fight. Good portion of this match was spent on the outside. What is this New Japan or something? This started out all brawling around ringside then seamlessly transitioned into a wrestling match. Hendry won the rematch with a roll up. When the Cult of Lee and Grado aren't around these two are forced to wrestle and the match wasn't bad. It was a short meat and potatoes match but not bad by any means.

Nathan Cruz and Moose vs Jason Sysum and Eddie Edwards : Heel Moose has a different theme and is wearing a Curtis Hughes Y2J bodyguard shirt.Sysumcomes out wearing a cape. Eddie is in jeans I guess if you are gonna be an ECW tribute act you should be wrestling in street clothes. Once again I have no clue who Sysum and Cruz are. Match starts off slow. Moose in classic heel fashion is avoiding Eddie at all costs he'll only tag in when Sysum is in there. Sysum hit a huge flying crossbody to Moose on the outside that was pretty cool. Not much else going on in this match. Sysum hot tags Eddie who cleans house while wearing a backwards ball cap. Eddie hits a toupe on Moose on the outside sending Moose through a guardrail. I'm liking Moose as heel he's really good at all the subtle things like taking a powder on the outside, avoiding certain opponents and just skirting the rules by a baby hair. A bunch of moves and shit happen I think we are in the final stretch of the match, crowds hot for it i'm not too invested maybe I'm just a jaded fan but I found this match kind of there. That being said Sysum did hit a crisp 450 splash leading his team to victory, which was a stellar move I thought. 

Barbed Wire BaseBall Bat Match Jimmy Havoc vs Sammi Callaghan: I've heard of Jimmy Havoc but I have never seen him wrestle before. Where did the find a baseball bat in the UK? Shouldn't this be a Barbed Wire Cricket Bat Match? Havoc uses a staple gun on Sami's head within minutes of the opening bell, thats the kind of match this is. Sami staples pages of magazines to Havocs body. Sami starts carving Havocs head with a spike. I don't actively seek out  death matches and garbage wrestling per say its not necessarily my bag man. But this one hasn't been bad so far they are building to their spots and there's some inventive shit for instance havoc gave Sami a paper cut in between his fingers then squeezes a lemon in said cut. They trade squeezing lemon juice into each others wounds actually. Finally got to the barbed wire portion of the match havoc wraps some around his arm. There's thumbtacks too. We are now entering the death match. Havoc went barefoot into thumbtacks. Sami won after a piledriver into thumbtacks. For a barbwire bat match this was pretty tame and they never used the barbed wire bats. So IDK I feel a little gipped as it was advertised as a barbed wire bat match.

Show was ok all together. Even with the botched finish in the opener and the last two matches kind of just being there every match was good to really good. The Tag Title match was the match of the night. Not a bad two hour show, it had production problems but the wrestling made up for it.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

I don't follow Impact all that much but I enjoyed Slammiversary so I thought I'd give this one a watch

If TNA has had one positive constant it’s how well done their video packages have always been. They know how to tell an intriguing story in 3 minutes. Opening video package no exception.

I like the venue. Everyone being right on top of each other gives it a real intimate vibe it feels like you're there watching it live.

Rich Swann and Willie Mack vs Matt Sydal and Ethan Page I thought was a really good opening contest. The crowd was hot for it. It was fun they hit a lot of movez, I would have liked if Swann sold his arm a little more after the heel time worked it over for half the match but whatever.

So with the Johnny Impact-Austin Aries stuff I don't know if they worked themselves into a shoot or shot themselves into a work but Aries does come off as a jerk who takes himself too seriously.

The Ellsworth stuff was what it was. Crowd shitted on it cuz they gave their hopes up that Jericho was actually gonna show up. He didn't. Ellsworth was a nice surprise he's great on the mic he truly is. Dude knows the role, he's great at it. Drake is great on the mic too. Match wasn't much but didn't have to be. The Abyss stuff I found to be a fun surprise, It may have better suited them to have Abyss come out and no Ellsworth based on the crowd reaction but hey maybe they weren't confident Abyss could work a match or maybe Abyss didn't want to work a full match. Fun to see Abyss chokeslam Drake through a table though. 

The Knockouts Championship between Tessa and Taya was really good I thought. It was nonstop action (total nonstop action if you ask me) from the bell but they still took time to sell and tell a tory. I thought Tessa's little meltdown at the end there after the Buzzsaw DDT when Taya kicked out and Tessa was just so certain it was over. I like those little holes in Tessa's cocky demeanor, maybe she isn't as sure of herself as she likes us to believe. But of course after Tessa won she was right back to being her normal cocky self rapping along to her theme while grabbing the belt out of the refs hands.

I didn't mind Eddie Edwards vs Moose bleeding into Eddie and Tommy Dreamer vs Moose and Killer Kross. I do like that style of booking where the heels outnumbered the face bet him down get the match thrown out then another face makes the save and we got ourselves a tag match boys! I did mind the camera crew missing that Outside dive Eddie hit as Tommy was making the challenge to Moose and Kross. who ever in this thread was talking about the camera missing shit throughout the show, boy did they. and it's a small layout how do you miss anything? there's a camera on everything at all times. Match was cool though. Tommy baby birding water into Eddies mouth for Eddie to spit it in Moose face was gross. But the rest of the match really fun, they beat the shit out of each other. The crowd was chanting LowKi at Kross cuz he does kinda look like a teller LowKi during his last New Japan run doing that Hitman gimmick, I found that chant funny. Jylan Ware of the New York Giants shoved Moose at ringside and the camera missed that too. I was expecting this to be a bloodbath with tons of plunder it wasn't. I was more than ok with the hard hitting physical brawl that it was though.

I was surprised by the lack of blood in the Eddie and Tommy vs Moose and Kross match. I thought for sure there'd be blood in the OVE vs Lucha Bros and Cage match. That match happened and there was no blood. I remember Slammiversary having more blood. Tons of movez in the match. Some really cool moves like Fenix hitting a double stomp on Callahan as Pentagon had him positioned for a package piledriver or Jake Crist coming off the top rope and hitting a cutter on Fenix who was on Pentagons shoulders. but there wasn't in much in terms of in ring psychology or storytelling. There's merit in guys hitting cool moves on each other, but to me thats what this match was. Liked it though.

Worked shoot or not I really fucking like Aries' promo. It came off really good. Aries was pissed off and cut one hell of a promo. There's some truth in what he was saying Impact wasn't doing to well at the beginning of this year when Aries showed back up. Aries did put in alot of time, along with many others to get Impact turned around. I do think him flipping Morrison shit for taking time off to get married and be on Survivor was a little too much. There's life outside of wrestling Austin you might want to try it.

I don't if this makes me a snob or not but I didn't think the trios match was anything to write home about. Sure there was some cool moves like the Lucha Bros hitting that double stomp piledriver combo moves on Callihan or Jake Crist hitting a cutter on Fenix who was standing on Pentagon's shoulders. For me these match was a ton of cool moves but match didn't really make me feel anything other than oh that was a cool move. 

I really liked the Concrete Jungle Death Match. LAX vs OG'z is one of my favorite things in Impact over the summer/fall from what little I've seen. I like the cinematic short films, I like how they've been telling the story like a movie, I really do. Some don't like it but different strokes for different folks. The match was a little sloppy, they kept slipping on the boards. It could have went very wrong at any moment. I can't believe they bumped on those boards. I mean there's a vague difference between those boards and canvas but Jeez Louise that Superplex Hernandez took was fucking bonkers dude. I also think it was a really good idea not to use Konnan until the finish, he was limping out to the ring, it would have made me nervous if he was out there for the entire chaos. He didn't really need to do anything more than swing around his slapjack (ha!).

Aries vs Morrison, I liked the match. I did. I don't know how I felt about Aries "no selling" the finish and flipping everyone off and leaving, if it's a work its dumb if it's a shoot he's dumb. The actual match I thought was really good. It was a fight, an actual fight, they were trying to sink in submission holds and there was aton of ground work and strikes it looked like Pro Wrestling Shoot fighting in a really good way. Plus there was enough flips and dips to make it exciting. Going off what I said about the trios match, where i didn't feel anything other than oh cool moves this match made you feel. I felt as if there was bad blood (which no way there isn't, these two don't like each other) but they kept it professional. They were both fighting for the championship, they both are passionate and wanted the same thing. When I first heard of this match I was like oh brother two ex wwe guys fighting for the championship typical TNA. but this didn't feel like that it felt like two guys fighting for the top championship of their respected promotion and nothing else matters to them.

All in all a cool show with some tight shit throughout.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I went to the show. Watching that Concrete Jungle match in person was scary. Those boards were sliding all over the place.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

With all this talk of AEW and ROH and MLW, I think I’m honestly most excited for Impact in 2019. They seem to be doing fun things, like showing live shows on Twitch, running different cities, partnering with different companies, etc.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I haven't been able to get back into Impact the last few times I've tried but I hope they can find a new TV deal, or at the very least not get booted off Pop next year.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm I haven't been able to get back into Impact the last few times I've tried but I hope they can find a new TV deal, or at the very least not get booted off Pop next year.
From what is being said, Pop is going to keep them on until Impact can find a new television partner.

I felt Impact was the best week to week wrestling show that I watched in 2018. I will admit a couple of the stories felt like they went on too long but match quality was very good. I went to Bound for Glory this year and had a blast. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite live show I attended this year.