CHIKARA thread.

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: CHIKARA thread.

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Announced KOT Teams thus far:

The Spirit Squad (Kenny, Johnny & Mikey)
The Spectral Envoy (UltraMantis Black, Hallowicked & Frightmare)
Team UK (Mark Andrews, Pete Dunne & Damian Dunne)
The Colony (Fire Ant, Silver Ant & Worker Ant)
The Devastation Corporation (Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive & Flex Rumblecrunch)
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

The guy's from the Devastation Corporation have names ripped straight from MST3K's ragging on 'Space Mutiny' and I love it.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The next trio to enter the tournament is 3Peck0 (Archibald Peck & 3.0).
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

More Trios Announced:

GEKIDO (17, Jigsaw & The Shard)
The Golden Trio (Icarus & The Throwbacks)
Dr. Cube & The BDK (Ares & Nøkken)
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Some more King of Trios Teams:

KE4TPG (Lance Steel, Jolly Roger & Princess Kimber Lee)
Team Extravaganza (Jervis Cottonbelly, Marion Fontaine & ThunderKitty)
The Odditorium (Sinn Bodhi, Sir Oliver Grimsly & Qefka The Quiet)

Gotta say, there is A LOT a backlash from a number of people on this year's King of Trios.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Some more King of Trios Teams:

KE4TPG (Lance Steel, Jolly Roger & Princess Kimber Lee)
Team Extravaganza (Jervis Cottonbelly, Marion Fontaine & ThunderKitty)
The Odditorium (Sinn Bodhi, Sir Oliver Grimsly & Qefka The Quiet)

Gotta say, there is A LOT a backlash from a number of people on this year's King of Trios.
Whats the backlash over?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

lariat_tubman wrote:
Whats the backlash over?
People are complaining that the field of teams this year is "extremely lacking" compared to year's past (plus the fact that front row tickets were $75 for a supposed lesser quality KOT).
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Well, 12 teams in, and this is the least exciting roster for KOT. Think about in years past when they would bringing in a team from Japan, a team from ROH, a team of past WWE stars, or a team of just past well known wrestlers. They have 4 teams left to turn it around...but it looks like crap right now.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Ladrao12 wrote:Well, 12 teams in, and this is the least exciting roster for KOT. Think about in years past when they would bringing in a team from Japan, a team from ROH, a team of past WWE stars, or a team of just past well known wrestlers. They have 4 teams left to turn it around...but it looks like crap right now.
Exactly what I was talking about.

The Colony: Xtreme Force will probably be in there, so that's three spots left.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

A team from ROH used to mean the students that weren't being booked. There were only slightly more outside teams than this years, we just happened to enjoy the in house teams more then.

As for the price. They sold out what at least 3 shows before a single match had been announced, and had to double one of those venues and still sold it out. When this happened they pretty much saw the high demand, and were able to raise the price, and know people would pay for those tickets. Maybe this price increase won't work out in the future, but Quack's trying to finally make a profit off of this company, and this is at least a good strategy for the time being.

Charging higher prices and using cheaper talent, and it looks like these shows sold well. Just like the shutdown didn't kill the promotion, neither will a poor KOT lineup.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Final set of teams for King of Trios:

The Bloc Party (The Proletariat Boar of Moldova, Mr. Azerbaijan & Prakash Sabar)
The Flood (Jimmy Jacobs, Eddie Kingston & Volgar)
The Colony: Xtreme Force (Missile Assault Ant, Arctic Rescue Ant & Orbit Adventure Ant)
LAX (Homicide, Hernandez & Chavo Guerrero)

Overall the lineup is.....definitely disappointing.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

The problem here is fans buying tickets without a lineup. You're basically telling the promoters that you don't care what's on the card, so it's hardly surprising when they give you shit, as it's cheap. You're removing the leverage of the wrestlers too.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

That seems to be CHIKARA since they came back earlier this year. I don't think they've lost a lot of talent during the hiatus (Saturyne/Hania is the only name I can think of) but the roster looks weak as fuck and maybe that's just me, but they seem to have lost quite a lot of steam.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
stay gold

Post by stay gold »

Glad I didn't buy tickets when it was first announced, but Spirit Squad appeals to me, and Homicide in a Chikara ring does as well.

I think Justskiff is on to something. Quack is probably trying to avoid debt instead of trying to put on super shows now. Don't want to get into personal stuff, but if a few rumors about Quack and Chikara's absense are true, then this totally makes sense. Funny thing is, Quack is already known to be extremely cheap when it comes to paying talent, but he always made an exception when it came to recruiting specialty teams for KOT. Not the case this year apparently.

I support the idea of Chikara, but my interest in them has died down a lot since their return and it's mostly due to the roster. I really hope these shows end up being great though. I attended the Kot finals in 2008 and had a blast.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

KOT was watered down the last time they had it as well. 2 aging teams + other aging vets on teams (Tito Satana, reall?). Same way with the two Joshi teams and less from other Japanese promotions. Mind you, Chikara was never my thing, so it doesn't really make a difference to me, just that I'm not surprised this is the field.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

In some more positive CHIKARA news, it was announced that the Rey de Voladores Tournament will be making it's return at this year's King of Trios.

The first participant will be TNA's Tigre Uno.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Finished watching Quantum of Solace from back in June, and like most Chikara shows I watch, it is hit and miss. I still can't understand how or why Icarus & 3.0 are not booked on every show. Icarus being the Grand Champion, 3.0 being one of their better tag teams. I went to the NYC show in July, same thing. Even worse is that they were there, and weren't booked.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Updated not-tournament matches for King of Trios (think pretty much all of these are on Night 2):

Rey De Voladores - Elimination Match #1 - Tigre Uno vs. Shynron vs. Rich Swann vs. TBA
"Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington vs. Yoshi Tatsu
Juan Francisco de Coronado vs. Rockstar Spud

Curious about the influx of TNA guys...
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

This is a bit of a sad CHIKARA related story, that seems to have a good ending:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... wt_PHBrand

Essentially, Ophidian had his gear (including masks) stolen. Fans have been raising money to get him new gear so he can be at King of Trios as well as go on his European Tour at the end of the month.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Curious about the influx of TNA guys...
TNA's taping "across the street" through Friday. Thus CHIKARA's able to get all the guys really cheap for Saturday and Sunday.