CHIKARA thread.

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
bigz38

Re: CHIKARA thread.

Post by bigz38 »

ROHFan25 wrote:Just wanted to pop in here and ask how anyone can support this piece of shit company? Seriously?

How the fuck can people who pay for wrestling sit there and watch a company where there's barely any wrestling. Instead lets play charaders and thumb wrestle! If tickets cost $5 I'd accept it. Quack is a fucking piece of shit. Well documented. Fuck him. Fuck CHIKARA. Biggest piece of shit in the industry.

Rant over.
Because you're wrong, specifically in the aspect that there's plenty of wrestling on the shows, and in many cases they produce some legit match of the year candidates, especially for King of Trios weekend. But they do add a good amount of fun and entertainment as well, and it's just a great experience that's worth attending.

The games in Chicago seemed more to hide how thin the roster was for two nights of shows, and for that I wasn't a huge fan of it.

Biggest piece of shit in the industry? It's easily been a top 10 in the US in recent years. Your reaction to them seems so shortsided. I don't get it.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

My thoughts were pretty much said already. CHIKARA isn't for everyone, but I've rarely seen anyone who hates it outright. You can always find something in there you like. Even if you don't like CHIKARA as a whole, how can you totally bash a company that puts on one of the biggest events of the wrestling year in North America (King of Trios)?

Also, what supersonic said is pretty much spot on.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

ROHFan25 wrote:Just wanted to pop in here and ask how anyone can support this piece of shit company? Seriously?

How the fuck can people who pay for wrestling sit there and watch a company where there's barely any wrestling. Instead lets play charaders and thumb wrestle! If tickets cost $5 I'd accept it. Quack is a fucking piece of shit. Well documented. Fuck him. Fuck CHIKARA. Biggest piece of shit in the industry.

Rant over.
Erm, OK.

CHIKARA isn't everyone's cup of tea (I know it's not mine), but really ? I mean, I have a strong dislike for PWG and DGUSA/Evolve, but you don't see me rant about how they should all die in fire or something.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
stay gold

Post by stay gold »

Chikara's done a lot of great things over the years. Dude needs to lighten up with the elitism and negativity.

Anyone going to their show in NY tomorrow? I'm honestly so burned out on watching wrestling right now that I can't see myself going even if it's super close. But I hope it has a good turn out. Other than having attended their return show, I haven't kept up with much, but I'm interested to see where Ashley Remington goes with his character.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Ashley Remington is the greatest thing to come out of CHIKARA since it returned.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

ROHFan25 wrote: How the fuck can people who pay for wrestling sit there and watch a company where there's barely any wrestling. Instead lets play charaders and thumb wrestle!
Have you ever watched a Chikara show in your life?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

BlackLesnar wrote:
ROHFan25 wrote: How the fuck can people who pay for wrestling sit there and watch a company where there's barely any wrestling. Instead lets play charaders and thumb wrestle!
Have you ever watched a Chikara show in your life?

I actually went to one of the most recent shows in Chicago. It was by far the worst wrestling show I've ever been to.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Huh.

Well that's me told.

Has the quality really dropped this badly since the revival?

EDIT: Oh God... looking at the card now. They gave you an opener with the SUBMISSION SQUAD?!?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I mean I've never been a huge CHIKARA fan so I can't say if it's dropped off really badly, but I remember watching some KOT from the past and while I thought they were overrated by a ton of people, they were at least enjoyable.

The show literally had barely any wrestling. And I've talked to a few people who went to the show too, and they agreed that they'd never be going to a CHIKARA show ever again. I'd be surprised if they don't lose a ton of fans the next time they go back there.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

BlackLesnar wrote: EDIT: Oh God... looking at the card now. They gave you an opener with the SUBMISSION SQUAD?!?
Actually heard that show (Quantum of Solace or the afternoon Chicago Show) was pretty good. It was the evening show (Diamonds Are Forever) that I heard was the bad one.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Just to be clear...it was the evening show.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote: Actually heard that show (Quantum of Solace or the afternoon Chicago Show) was pretty good. It was the evening show (Diamonds Are Forever) that I heard was the bad one.
Are you SURE you got them the right way around?

bexcause looking at these cards side-by-side man... the evening one at least has some redeeming features. Opening with bloody Shynron alone is a MASSIVE improvement.
ROHFan25 wrote:Just to be clear...it was the evening show.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

But... But Shynron! But Batiri! But Colony and BDK and Kingston vs Jacobs!

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I dare you to order the DVD.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

Shynron was on the Expansion Pack, which was a separate ticket from the evening show, so he might have missed that. It was great through, and the show would have gotten a much better review if everyone saw it. And part of the disappointment with that show was too many non matches. Two squashes, and two that were mostly to drive storylines, including Kingston vs. Jacobs.

But it was definitely a step back. No Young Bucks and no Colt Cabana really hurt the quality.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I've been pretty finnicky on the Chikara brand of wrestling for a while as well. I tried getting into it a few times, but a good amount of their shows are duds. I usually watch for the Tag Team Grand Prix and definitely King of Trios, and The Cibernetico matches.

With that said, i've only gone to 2 live shows, the Cibernetico show in 2012 with ROH vs. Chikara and this past weekends NYC show.

I thoroughly enjoyed both shows, and speaking of this past weekends NYC show, I thought it was a fun show.

A lot of positive and negative feedback comes from this show (for me):

Positive:
Their tag team division is insane. They have 4 great tag teams, and a couple of good tag teams that follow.
The venue was much better than the venue they used to run. They used to run the Highline Ballroom, doesn't fit a good amount of people, low ceiling, low light fixtures. But Stage 48, where they ran on Saturday, was better lit, seemed to fit more people, and allowed for a better show.

Negative:
Both Icarus and 3.0 were there, but I don't understand why neither were booked. Especially in Icarus' case, I figured the Grand Champion would have a match on the card. 3.0 were there, hosted the thumb wrestling contest, did some commentary for SMV, and that's it.
Eddie Kingston getting booked is usually a negative for me. And I know they're running a storyline with him, but that match and showing he had really sucked (even if it was a part of the story).
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Should also note that two more wrestlers were "killed off" at the recent shows.

At the NYC Show, Tursas fell to The Estonian ThunderFrog's Hammer of Peace, while at the next show in Boston, The Flood took revenge when Deucalion (aka Titan Of Titor) hit the Chokebreaker on The Estonian ThunderFrog.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

Icarus suffered a bad concussion when he won the title. He missed the June shows as a result, so I figured they were just easing him back in.

For every double shot, it always seems that a couple people are left off one of the shows. I just assume that just so they have extras available if there are any injuries. Also, I bet Parker was doing commentary for a match or two, and I've found him to be crimally underappreciated in that role.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Two more CHIKARA Events have been announced:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Haverhill, Massachusetts 11/15/14

For Your Eyes Only
South Windsor, Connecticut 11/16/14
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

For those who missed it, there will now be a points system to determine who will challenge for the CHIKARA Grand Championship, similar to how they handle the Campeonatos de Parejas. Currently, Juan Francisco de Coronado & Ashley Remington both have 3 Points, so unless they lose an upcoming singles match, both of them should have title shots coming.

Here are the cards for this weekend's shows:

Permis De Tuer
Limoilou, Quebec, Canada 8/16/14

- 10 Man Tag - Icarus, The Throwbacks & The Colony (Fire Ant & Worker Ant) vs. The Flood
- Archibald Peck vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado
- 3.0 vs. The Colony: Xtreme Force (Missile Assault Ant & Orbit Adventure Ant)
- The Osirian Portal vs. Kickin' 'n' Stompin' vs. The Flood (Jaka & Qefka The Quiet) vs. The Spectral Envoy
- Kodama vs. "Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington
- Silver Ant vs. The Proletariat Boar of Moldova

Vivre et Laisser Mourir
Montreal, Quebec, Canada 8/17/14

- CHIKARA Grand Championship - Icarus vs. TBA
- Atomicos Match - The Throwbacks & The Spectral Envoy (UltraMantis Black & Hallowicked) vs. The Flood (GEKIDO of 17 & The Shard and The Colony: Xtreme Force of Missile Assault Ant & Orbit Adventure Ant).
- "Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington vs. Chuck Taylor
- 3 Peck 0 (Archibald Peck & 3.0) vs. The Wrecking Crew (Jaka, Max Smashmaster & Flex Rumblecrunch)
- Kodama vs. Nøkken
- Los Ice Creams vs. The Colony vs. The McGoths vs. The Osirian Portal
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The first trio has been announced for King Of Trios 2014.....

The Spirit Squad of Mikey, Kenny & Johnny.

Never thought we would ever see The Spirit Squad again....