CHIKARA thread.

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
stay gold

Re: CHIKARA thread.

Post by stay gold »

Why is it black and white? Being a casual fan is liking something.

Just means you don't dig too deep for your enjoyment of it. I consider myself to be a casual Chikara fan as well. Since 2007. I follow it enough to catch some shows here and there. I'll be at the return show. Looking forward to it, but I'd be lying if I said I followed what they were doing over the last 8 months or so. Not a knock on the company at all though. But I think there are a lot of similar Chikara fans.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The locations for the next two CHIKARA Shows have been announced!!

Diamonds are Forever
Chicago, Illinois 6/21/14

Goldfinger
Detroit, Michigan 6/22/14

More info can be found on CHIKARA's Website.
sparksky

Post by sparksky »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:The locations for the next two CHIKARA Shows have been announced!!

Diamonds are Forever
Chicago, Illinois 6/21/14

Goldfinger
Detroit, Michigan 6/22/14

More info can be found on CHIKARA's Website.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Mattxx87 wrote:This is probably the deepest and most compelling story told in wrestling history.
Steen/Generico

Jericho/Michaels

Austin/Hart

McMahon/Austin

Rhodes/Horsemen

Duggan/DiBiase from Mid South

ROH/CZW

NWO 1996-1997

BDK in CHIKARA itself

Summer of Punk

The first month of Summer of Punk 2

I'd wait to call this the best of anything until it actually does something.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

The storyline only worked if you followed it online. Which you had to since they don't have television.

Plus Chikara could afford to be inactive for nearly a year. No other wrestling promotion can.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The next set of shows have been announced!

The Living Daylights
Manhattan, New York 7/19/14

The World Is Not Enough
Boston, Massachusetts 7/20/14
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

What's with all the Bond names?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Big Red Machine wrote:What's with all the Bond names?
Theme for the new season, I guess....

Speaking of which, CHIKARA has added (due to high demand) a second Chicago Show, titled Quantum of Solace, which will take place in the same venue and on the same day (June 21st) as Diamonds are Forever, which has sold out (Quantum of Solace will be the afternoon card, Diamonds are Forever the evening card).
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

DVD recommendations for a first time buyer?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Colt45 wrote:DVD recommendations for a first time buyer?
This was something I asked myself not too long ago. I was told that it's really hard to get into CHIKARA and recommend shows because of all the storylines and stuff, but I can give you suggestions based on what I did:

- Any of their four iPPV's: This would include High Noon, Chikarasaurus Rex: How To Hatch A Dinosaur, Under The Hood, and Anniversario: Never Compromise. I think these are pretty good choices for newer viewers since they are the big iPPVs they did.

- Any King of Trios: Of course, this means you'd have to get three shows as KOT is usually split into three shows. From everything I've heard, King of Trios is an extremely enjoyable event every time out. Not sure what year to recommend, but if you're looking for the most recent one, then the 2012 King of Trios is a good bet.

- I also got Hot Off The Griddle, which was the CHIKARA half of the CHIKARA/Ring of Honor "Synergy" Show in Chicago. If you want to see what the Toreno Cibernetico match is all about, then The Cibernetico Rises is a good show, especially since it features a lot of ROH guys (Kevin Steen's Cibernetico Team which was Steen, Jacobs, The Bravados, The Young Bucks & The Briscoes). I'd also say that their WrestleMania Weekend Show from 2013, The Shoulder of Pallas, was pretty good. It featured the only CHIKARA appearance of Jushin "Thunder" Liger.

Bottom Line: If I had to recommend just one show for a first time CHIKARA buyer, I'd have to go with High Noon. It was their first iPPV which saw the crowning of the first Grand Champion and was really an introduction to CHIKARA for a lot of new fans (like myself).
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Any of their recent "Best of" comps are a sure bet for quality if nothing else. I'd also highly recommend getting the a Brodie Lee set on Smart Mark Video.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Best of 2010. The best "best-of" set a promotion has ever put out for my money, chronicling the absolutely astounding BDK storyline with the best Cibernetico match yet.
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

Thanks for the replies! I went with Chikarasaurus but will probably buy more dvd's over the next few weeks. I'd like to have seen a few shows before following the promotion's new chapter.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Doesn't the Wrestling Is shop have a whole bunch of Chikara events on streaming for like $10/month ?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

JSP wrote:
Best of 2010. The best "best-of" set a promotion has ever put out for my money, chronicling the absolutely astounding BDK storyline with the best Cibernetico match yet.
I just bought that. Am 2/3 discs of the way through it. All of the matches have been worth watching, but nothing mind blowing (though I haven't gotten to the Dark Cibernetico yet). But 24 matches or so for 20$ and all of them between ***1/4-***3/4 still works for me. Even the Haze Delirious vs. Osirian Portal match was good, and Haze usually does little for me.

One thing I do enjoy is having been a comic collector recognizing the homages on the covers of the DVD's. Some pretty obscure ones in there as well.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

2005 College Shows
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Good News: It looks like CHIKARA's return show, You Only Live Twice, will be shown LIVE on iPPV!!! :D . The post on the CHIKARA101 Board mentioned that they would be doing some upgrades to the Palmer Center's internet and have been talking a lot with the Palmer Center & the Internet Provider to make sure everything runs smoothly.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Two more CHIKARA dates have been announced:

Permis De Teur
Limoilou, Quebec, Canada 8/16/14

Vivre et Laisser Mourir
Montreal, Quebec, Canada 8/17/14

Also, I believe that there is a discount going on right now if you pre-order the You Only Live Twice iPPV before May 1st.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Two more CHIKARA dates have been announced:

Permis De Teur
Limoilou, Quebec, Canada 8/16/14

Vivre et Laisser Mourir
Montreal, Quebec, Canada 8/17/14

Also, I believe that there is a discount going on right now if you pre-order the You Only Live Twice iPPV before May 1st.
Yeah, you only pay 13 bucks before May 1st. Afterwards it's 17.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Is there going to be a King of Trios this year? Always my favorite part of Chikara every year.