AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
famicommander

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by famicommander »

Lynx wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:07 am I think that NWA numbers will continue dropping. First show was fun blast from the past, but they are seriously lacking in substance and I have no idea where they are even going.
Did you read the spoilers?

They're going to 1986.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I find it kind of interesting how AEW makes me feel about certain wrestlers:

HOT:

Darby ALlin - He's on fire now... seems like a legit superstar in the making.
Private Party - Again, like the second coming of the MCMG/Bucks
Riho - Awesome matches
Luchasarus - He's mad over...

Cold

Kenny Omega - If this was the first time seeing Omega, i'd be like whats the big deal, for real. Lacks character, lacks good matches, and he doesn't win much. I'm sure they will turn it around with him, but it's odd.

JOn Moxley - I think the best is yet to come, but you've got one of the best mic workers in the business, and he's having boring matches, and had a cool spot with the glass table. I don't get the superstar vibe yet. So far, Moxley was used WAY better in WWE, but i know it's early.

Pac - Dud.... he can still wrestle good, but his annoying troll gimmick is just lame. I could care less about the guy right now.

So yeah, just found it odd , how their big stars, haven't been showcased quite as much, and they really been focusing on getting the other guys over. It's good, BUT it could also be bad... if they let it go too far, and try and bring them back.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

"Buy my book"

"Well I was wrong, a blonde didn't win"

Truly masterful commentary on AEW Dark by JR last night.

Holy shit man, how can they keep doing this? Does anyone in charge of anything actually LISTEN to his commentary?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Congrats to Frankie and Sky!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

AEW Full Gear PPV card so far:

AEW World Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Cody Rhodes

Lights Out Match: Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley

AEW Women's Championship: Riho (c) vs. Emi Sakura

The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. Santana & Ortiz

"Hangman" Adam Page vs. Pac

Bea Priestley vs. Dr. Britt Baker DMD
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Montana

Post by Montana »

Really like the build up to Cody and Jericho. Almost perfect the past 4-5 weeks.

The rest of the card i'm not as interested in with the build up, but should be some good matches.

Omega/Moxley hasn't hit me like it probably should have. Really liked the glass table spot, but since then, they haven't picked it up a notch.

Page and Pac again, doesn't do much for me. Good match, but don't really care who wins/loses.

Bucks vs. Satana and Ortiz will be a really good match, they just haven't grabbed me with specfic Bucks vsLAX stuff... More excited to see Elite vs Inner Circle down the line.

SCU/Lucha/ Private Party will be really good in the ring too.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Luchasaurus says he is targeting a Jan 2020 return
or Fb.com/ROHworld
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

How many times is Cody going to use the "first world championship" storyline?

He did it in ROH, then he did it again in ROH with the NWA belt, now he's doing it again in AEW.

Not that his promo wasn't excellent on Dynamite, because it was. As was the Jericho video.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, i thought the same thing. Did those championships not count to him. Pretty lame.

The other simple thing that AEW is doing right, putting MJF with Cody, and Sammy with Jericho. Not only for the alliance, but using the star power of those veterans to get the younger lesser known guys over. Plus it can lead to some really good storylines. Seems like booking 101, but we don't see a ton of common sense booking anymore.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Apparently in Jan the records may be reset

https://twitter.com/NickJacksonYB/statu ... 5828093952
or Fb.com/ROHworld
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I think that is a good idea. Otherwise you'll end up with someone who is 2-20 and the crowd won't care about them.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

kovs27 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:31 pm I think that is a good idea. Otherwise you'll end up with someone who is 2-20 and the crowd won't care about them.
Yeah, totally agree. I thought this might be a problem but it's reassuring to know that they're contemplating it. I would equate it professional sports teams records who are reset to zero when starting a new season.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The records have already become pointless anyway.

They've already done, what, five "unsanctioned" matches? That way they can give someone an L without it showing on their record.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

also did that destroyer Ricky hit kill Jim Cornette or no?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Scorpio Sky straight up Bugs Bunny'd Jericho in that promo segment
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/ ... 8361097216

Even AEW want to get into the act of causing controversy on Twitter. What a week.
sderiis

Post by sderiis »

I agree. I also think that in most cases money is more important for wrestlers. and that they simply go to the US because of this since there are good salaries. I’m also going there, tell me what I need for it? and I need to know the United States zip codes in advance. Is this worldpostalcode.com/united-states/ a good site for this? thanks
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

sderiis wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:56 pm I agree. I also think that in most cases money is more important for wrestlers. and that they simply go to the US because of this since there are good salaries. I’m also going there, tell me what I need for it? and I need to know the United States zip codes in advance. Is this worldpostalcode.com/united-states/ a good site for this? thanks
I was able to find the zip code of the town I live in, so it should work for you too.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Alex Reynolds and John Silver have been signed
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Montana

Post by Montana »

So... what do you guys think of AEW?? Think we've seen enough of the product thus far to get a pretty good idea of it will be.

Personally i'm kinda mixed on it. Some stuff i really like, some stuff i either don't like, or don't care.

What i like:
- Live, weekly show on TNT that feels fresh, and it's new so like anything can happen.
- Darby Allin, Private Party, Lucha Bros - Not completely new, but new enough for me, to be enjoying them weekly.
- They get the marketing and promoting right. They care about the product and image.
- The main overall storylines are mostly done right with common sense. They use the talent well. pairing MJF & Cody, Jericho with Sammy & the Inner Circle. etc,
- The rankings & win-loss records.
- The Broadcast team. THey are doing really well so far.
- Future stars.... MJF , Jungle Boy, Sammy G , these guys are only going to get better and are future stars in the business.

What i don't like
- Too much wrestling not enough entertainment. I'm sure some like this, but i would prefer a little more promos. You got Jericho and Moxley, two of the best on the mic, and yet it seems like one-two promos on AEW at the most, and they are short. I get most of the roster isn't great on the mic, but you gotta have more than just those two, SCU and MJF cut promos.

- AEW fans. The AEW can do no wrong fans... I'm all for supporting the product, but also i'll be honest, if there are areas i dislike. Hope those fans don't hurt the product in the long run.

- Too many flips?!? Any match without Cody typically involves too many flips. Roster seriously lacks technical wrestling.

- The roster - Too much "ehh" talent... Butcher and the blade, Dark Order, Joey Janela, Orange Cassidy, Peter Avalon, Marko Stunt, QT Marshall, Shawn Spears, Sonny Kiss, Think this will be fixed over time... but might take a while.

- Everyone tries to get over/ lack of true heels. When watching like a AEW PPV, like it's more about the spots, than the psychology and heel/face dynamics.

Random Notes:

- Pac and Omega's stock feels like it's fading fast. These guys were best in the world caliber guys pre-aew, and now they botch stuff, slip, and seem really off their game from years past. Also Pac's character is just annoying. I get he's a heel but still.

- The Bucks, Hangman, SCU & Best Friends kinda feels like more of the same, as ive seen so much of them in ROH in years past.

- Feels like they need a midcard title soon

- Already feels like their roster is too full. (80% of the women aren't on weekly & like 50-60% of men aren't either-to estimate)

Overall, i get that i am being rather critical. Overall i enjoy the product, and hope they can continue to be successful. What do you think??