The PWG Thread

All wrestling outside of ROH discussion welcome here!
ROHFan25

Re: The PWG Thread

Post by ROHFan25 »

PWG is a super fun product, but IMO it's nowhere near as good as NXT was in 2015. I'd say New Japan was more enjoyable for me as well even though I found it to be a bit disappointing this year.

My problem with PWG has always been the same. The guys in the matches do 8,000 moves and there are 100 kick outs that are unrealistic and then a match will end with a roll up or something stupid. Like the way their matches are agented...even though there isn't an agent is just so poorly put together that it takes a ton of enjoyment out of them. I have no idea how anyone enjoys watching guys do insane moves after insane move and then subsequently kicking out after them.

In PWG I never buy anything as a false finish because literally nothing is put over as a finish and anything is kick outable. Severely hurts the product for me, but I still enjoy it and have fun watching it.
christoffer

Post by christoffer »

Due to a knee injury, Angelico will not be on the show this weekend. Chris Dickinson makes his PWG debut to face Brian Cage!
Dickinson and Callihan teaming? Maybe US Death Machine in PWG
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wavelet Transform wrote:
DBSommer wrote:
AndyDiaz wrote:Anyone who doesn't think PWG is putting the best and most consistent product out there today in North America; or maybe even the world, is insane
If by 'the best' you mean pulling random names out of a hat for booking, spotfests, and one eternal storyline of 'The Young Bucks and their buddies are dicks', then, sure. That would be 'the best'. If those aren't you're standards, though, then not proclaiming it 'the best' is not just valid, but it would be kind of insane if you did.
Best will vary according to taste, but I think PWG is the most exciting and fun product. PWG is the only promotion that consistently surprises me with their booking. The Roddy title win was a great surprise, as was the return of the Bucks and Rushmore 2.0 (regardless of how it's subsequently turned out). Because PWG isn't under the thumb of a corporation, they can do things that push the envelope too, like the S. Dragon assault on Candice at Threemendous or the thumbtacks spot on Joey recently. Everyone's pushing their limit in the matches too, like that ridiculous Everett double moonsault against Ricochet.

Matches can seem pretty random, but the roster quality is so high it doesn't matter. Honestly, I'm more excited for Sabre v. Tozawa, which is totally random, than anything scheduled in ROH or WWE and BOLA is my favorite event of the wrestling year. Though it's not for everyone, I really think Excalibur is great on commentary, as are most of the familiar faces like Hero too.

"No storylines" isn't a fair criticism either, given how low a priority PWG is for most of the guys on the roster. The only guys on every 2015 show were Bailey and Lee and they had storylines. It's hard to book storylines for the rest when you don't know who's available - look what happened to Busick v S. Dragon.
The solution to PWG's "storyline" problems would be to do what every other promotion in the history of ever did and planned a few shows in advance. If they were to pick out dates from now until the anniversary show, they could actually book some storylines because they would be able to ask around and find out who is available when. The reason PWG doesn't have storylines is because they simply aren't willing to put in the effort to have any.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Mike0284 wrote:
fucking amazing
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
PWG will be doing a double shot on 3/4 and 3/5. Once again they are going head-to-head with a UFC show in Las Vegas, but only on the second night, but it’s also a Conor McGregor weekend.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

PWG continuing the trend of naming their shows in 2016 after music icons who've tragically passed:
@OfficialPWG 42m42 minutes ago
Bowie takes place on February 12th! All Star Weekend 12 takes place on March 4th & 5th!
Also...

jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Wow, they're suddenly running a lot of shows, especially considering that after BOLA they didn't run for 4 months. And more PWG can only be a good thing I think.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

jordidebaas wrote:Wow, they're suddenly running a lot of shows, especially considering that after BOLA they didn't run for 4 months.
That probably shows how much all of those BOLA bring-ins cost.

That being said, I actually like the idea of them not running for a few months after BOLA. Give it enough time to get the DVDs out so people can stay spoiler-free if they want to.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Would not Bowie to the first show in the ROH/PWG partnership ? I wonder if you will a large number of ROH talents books for this show ? Also will the WWNLive , TNA and Lucha Underground talent no longer be part of the PWG cards ? I don't know , but it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out ?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Memphis Mark wrote:Would not Bowie to the first show in the ROH/PWG partnership ? I wonder if you will a large number of ROH talents books for this show ?
Unfortunately, I think this show is going to be a bit dry in terms of ROH guys, since it's situated between the two New Beginning shows. That means no Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, Michael Elgin, Matt Sydal, or The Young Bucks. Ricochet won't be on this show either for the same reason.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:Would not Bowie to the first show in the ROH/PWG partnership ? I wonder if you will a large number of ROH talents books for this show ?
Unfortunately, I think this show is going to be a bit dry in terms of ROH guys, since it's situated between the two New Beginning shows. That means no Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, Michael Elgin, Matt Sydal, or The Young Bucks. Ricochet won't be on this show either for the same reason.

Thanks for the info . I really curious to see the PWG card with so much talent in NJPW. Looks like a job for Chuck Taylor.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

BOWIE tickets on sale any minute now for Saturday, February 12

Mike Bailey vs. Evil Player Uno

Dalton Castle's PWG Debut
Chuck Taylor vs. Dalton Castle

Chris Hero vs. Trent Beretta

Andrew Everett vs. Adam Cole

Trevor Lee vs. Zack Sabre, Jr.

PWG Title Match
Roderick Strong vs. Drew Galloway
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Very intriguing card. Some really good matches on here. Good to see Uno back in PWG, hopefully this means that Dos will be joining him soon. Cole vs. Everett & Lee vs. ZSJ sound great on paper, and should deliver. Also very smart on PWG to capitalize on the Galloway/Strong feud from Evolve. I fully expect them to blow the roof off.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

:o Dalton Castle vs Chuckie T should be amazing! Though I thought Chuckie was retiring? Wasn't the All-Star Weekend supposed to be his last PWG show?
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

jordidebaas wrote::o Dalton Castle vs Chuckie T should be amazing! Though I thought Chuckie was retiring? Wasn't the All-Star Weekend supposed to be his last PWG show?
Might have been a rib.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Sure hope so
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

i agree,great to see Uno back in.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

jordidebaas wrote::o Dalton Castle vs Chuckie T should be amazing! Though I thought Chuckie was retiring? Wasn't the All-Star Weekend supposed to be his last PWG show?
Chikara already did it. Here you go

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

7th Match added to BOWIE:
@OfficialPWG 3h3 hours ago
Jack Evans faces Sami Callihan at BOWIE on February 12th!